SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network

SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network (http://www.socnet.com/index.php)
-   International Jobs (http://www.socnet.com/forumdisplay.php?f=202)
-   -   Iraq Visa's? (http://www.socnet.com/showthread.php?t=106999)

matt785115 6 January 2012 11:55

Iraq Visa's?

Not sure if it shou ld be here?
Does anyone have any insight on why Iraq stopped isueing visa's and when they may start back again?
Thank you

Silverbullet 6 January 2012 12:24

Money and no. Sorry

Argyll 50 6 January 2012 13:07

Pretty much as SB stated, it's all about money, and control.
I endured the whole process 10 days ago, when I arrived back off leave with a single entry visa, as my MEV expired, from getting off the plane in Basrah, to getting out the airport was a swift 5 hours, from start to finish, you have 3 guys handwriting visas from start to finish, then hand writing receipts for $82 , this visa is only valid for 30 days, with the maximum of 2 x 10 extensions, after that, you need to be out the country again, even if it's the redeye overnight and back in the next day, yep that's what some of our clients have to do.
Once you come in on the single entry as they stopped issuing MEV's last year, so they could scam more cash out of the hundreds of pax through Basrah, daily 5-6 days a week!! Then you have to go down into Basrah itself prior to exiting the place and give a blood sample, which then gets you your exit visa, although if you're lucky, you can get away with not giving blood if you get a 3 month stamp from the Ministry of Health.
It's a nightmare, there's no methodical system in place, it's still in the stoneage, and as to where the tens of thousands of dollars go is anyones guess, but apparently there's no such dramas up in Baghdada, and nothing close to mayhem in Erbil.
What we have been told, is that the MOI are only issuing a limited amount of visas per day, as in exits, and in some cases entry, the whole situation is an total admin nightmare, then there's the scam of not letting PSC vehicles into the BIAP , apart from one vehicle, not so great moving dozens of clients at a time, but there's always the local taxi (another name for the off duty General's bods) who charge $15 to ferry you to the "dustbowl" the area where a billion PSD team congregate..but hey, it's $15 a head, and he crams as many in to make a nice wee earner for the General.
If anyone thought for one minute Iraq would be a better democratic place post 2006 after they got their Soveriegnity back, and an elected Government, then they're so wrong, it's every bit as corrupt as it always has been.
If you have a simple type wrong on your entry visa, you'll not get to fly in if it's through Dubai/Emirates, they check you have the neccesary entry documentation before you board, it's a complete nightmare, hardly a great advertisement when you have CEO's of huge Oil companys sat in Immigration for 5 hours without basics, there's a typical local toilet but after half an hour stinks like a camels arse!!
My only advice is make sure your phone/kindle/ipod are fully charged as you may also end up being stuck there over night, and a mate of mine was arrested and detained overnight in Az Zubair as they accused him of tampering on the dates of his paperwork!!!
He wasn't alone, as some of our clients were there alongside him, he went in front of a judge the next morning who seemed a tad pissed off they were detained, and let them all go without charge, but he said it was a pretty scarry moment not knowing where he would end up!!.. So avoid Basrah unless you have the t's crossed and i's dotted :D

Jong 6 January 2012 13:12

No problems like that in Erbil!!

matt785115 6 January 2012 14:36

Thank you, Ill just cross my fingers and hope for the best. It sucks for some of us who have been sitting on the bench and just want to go to work.

Purgatory 6 January 2012 17:53

WELCOME to the PSC World in Iraq 2012!!! There currently are no visas being issued to PSCs. I'm stuck out as well; hopefully in a week or so the GOI will get everything straight. Those working in the KRG I am sure things are much better for you up there.

Stay safe....

roadraje 7 January 2012 02:39

Embassy badges and Residency cards make for easy entries and exits...

Malpractice 7 January 2012 09:53

They kinda hassled me in Turkey over the Visa, but Erbil didn't even ask for one. They just scanned my passport.

justinterested 7 January 2012 09:55

The word we are getting is that they are in the process of changing ministries as far as who will issue the visa's. Country wide they are only allowing a small amount a day of visa's while this is being handled, that is exit and entry visa's both. We had 12 guys come in this past week and 18 leave. All 18 were granted exit visa's (all MEV's expired on Dec. 31) and 2 were granted entry. I know we were paying $202 a MEV and $2 every time we entered even with the visa before Dec. 31 as of now i dont know how much we had to pay. Good luck hope this helps

g6445v 8 January 2012 05:59

"Uncertainty" with regards to the visas is what we're experiencing in Baghdad...

RegularGuy101 12 January 2012 08:17

Any update on this? Are the visas still shut down?

g6445v 12 January 2012 09:24

no changes...still no entry visas...

matt785115 12 January 2012 09:48

I heard from a couple of guys who are there. They are not getting much info either. dont know if it is the company's keeping them in the dark or if noone really knows?

g6445v 12 January 2012 10:46

no one knows...

Argyll 50 12 January 2012 12:36

not even the MOI :D

tcraig808 12 January 2012 12:38

No word yet on the visa's.. im currently here with my company and they don't even have a business license to be here so visa's is the least of our worries..

Massgrunt 12 January 2012 12:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by tcraig808 (Post 1058083786)
No word yet on the visa's.. im currently here with my company and they don't even have a business license to be here so visa's is the least of our worries..

You should go home, because that's asking to be tossed in a jail cell until somebody important enough back home gives a shit enough to help you. By the way, you need to post an intro.

Purgatory 12 January 2012 13:09

There is some good news out there. Visa applications HAVE been accepted by the MOI through the new process, whatever exactly that is. What is the UNK is how long the new process will take. I would expect one week.

g6445v 12 January 2012 13:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Purgatory (Post 1058083809)
There is some good news out there. Visa applications HAVE been accepted by the MOI through the new process, whatever exactly that is. What is the UNK is how long the new process will take. I would expect one week.

Good to know!!!...

justinterested 12 January 2012 13:28

Too bad the visa requests that MOI accepted wont matter. MOI [B]was[B]the one that issued the visa's however, the ministries are changing that issue them. From MOI to MOT. When it officially changed from MOI to the MOT, MOT did not even know they were taking it over. The whole section that worked for MOI that dealt with visa's was fired and MOT has not hired anyone to deal with it. Straight from one of the many horses mouths over here that are dealing with the situation.

tcraig808, I would listen to Massgrunt that is solid advise numerous contractors have been locked up since the New Year due to unregistered vic's, no work permit, Etc etc

just my 2 cents