SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network

SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network (http://www.socnet.com/index.php)
-   Snipers (http://www.socnet.com/forumdisplay.php?f=88)
-   -   1 scope to buy (http://www.socnet.com/showthread.php?t=108588)

TowGunner 13 March 2012 01:18

1 scope to buy

So.... while sitting at work we debated scopes and what the best scope to put on a custom built M700 would be for under 1500 bucks.

Gun is being built for 1000 yards but will more than likely be used in the 400-800yard range. I will be going though a sniper course in May/June with my old PD and is the reason for the rifle build.

I tossed out Leupold 113092 Mark 4 LR/T 8.5-25x50mm M5

But a few tossed out getting a fixed power. What say the Sniper gods of SOCNET.

Rogue 13 March 2012 02:54

For under $1500, I would go with a used NightForce. I'm sorry but I just don't trust Leupys like I used to. You'll find that the NF is miles better.

You would have to pony up a little bit more cash, but my current favorite is the Premier Heritage 3-15. I've found that FFP and mil turrets are a must.

EchoFiveMike 13 March 2012 04:34

Too much magnification on the low end with the 8.5-25x, and I doubt you'll find much use for 25x. I have one on my custom pre-64 M70 22-250 varmint rig and I find myself on the low side the vast majority of the time.

3-15 NF, good old solid 10x Mk4 Loopie, I hear good things about the Premier stuff, they have treated me right in the past. S/F....Ken M

Starlight 13 March 2012 06:45

Nightforce 3.5-15x50 NXS.
If you plan on using the reticle to range, I'd suggest the FFP version.
I'd also suggest the mil/mil turrets.

JMHO, best of luck with your choice.

GAU-17 13 March 2012 12:16

The Place that I have been dealing with has a lot of good used Scopes and more. Here is just one. Leupold 10x40 Mark 4, M3 with Mil Dots, DEMO B: Shows Very Slight Wear from Use, Interchangeable BDC turrets included for .223rem, 300Win Mag, .30-06, and .308, $899.95 (MSRP: $1375.00)
They are out of NF right now. PM me and I will send you there sight address.

SOTB 13 March 2012 12:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by GAU-17
PM me and I will send you there sight address.

So they don't want more business by having their site discussed openly?

Matchanu 13 March 2012 12:58

Night Force, hands down the best out there IMHO.

GAU-17 13 March 2012 13:09

SOTB, I am sure they do, just did not want to piss off the MODS. I will put in out there if they don't mind?

Matchanu 13 March 2012 13:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by GAU-17 (Post 1058116210)
SOTB, I am sure they do, just did not want to piss off the MODS. I will put in out there if they don't mind?

I'm not a mod here, but I am a mod.

Post it up, I'm interested and I'm sure many others are as well.

Thanks.

GAU-17 13 March 2012 13:53

Roger That.

http://www.samplelist.com/Default.aspx

GAU-17 13 March 2012 15:23

The address that I posted will take to there home page, then on the top you will find "View entire sample list" just click on that.

Gsniper 13 March 2012 15:42

I agree that an 8x25 is too much magnification. Both Leupold and Nightforce will do what you want done. DO NOT try to save money on your base and rings. Badger ordinance or Leupold Mk4's. Taking a $1500 scope and putting it in cheap rings is a formula for disaster later. Sorta like taking a perfect tit and putting it in a bra.

Gebirgsjäger 13 March 2012 15:58

I would suggest a Schmidt&Bender but their prices are a bit higher than over here!

PM II 4-16x50 MKII $1,944.99

Jason8541 13 March 2012 17:44

Schmidt&Benders are pretty spendy, but would get my vote. Leupold Mk4's are pretty quality optics as well. I would get an optic with mil turret adjustments as opposed to MOA, but that's just me. I would also recommend a variable power optic which will allow you to be more versatile, allowing you to decrease magnification to engage close tgts if need be.

lrsdave91 14 March 2012 10:17

Good morning gentlemen, I'm new here, but my buddy the Chaplan, told me about this discussion, I just recently purchased a M1A Scout, with a Jaw-100 stock, sadlak scope mount, originally I was gonna put a Millet, for under $300, on it, but this topic has changed my mind. Would the gentleman who said he has a website email a link, I've always wanted a night force, new or used, I'm no sniper, but your never to old to learn. Also does anyone know of a sniper course in Michigan or surrounding area, I don't mind traveling, to get some professional training. Thanks

Matchanu 14 March 2012 12:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by lrsdave91 (Post 1058116600)
Good morning gentlemen, I'm new here, but my buddy the Chaplan, told me about this discussion, I just recently purchased a M1A Scout, with a Jaw-100 stock, sadlak scope mount, originally I was gonna put a Millet, for under $300, on it, but this topic has changed my mind. Would the gentleman who said he has a website email a link, I've always wanted a night force, new or used, I'm no sniper, but your never to old to learn. Also does anyone know of a sniper course in Michigan or surrounding area, I don't mind traveling, to get some professional training. Thanks

Waste of money for a battle rifle like that.

Don't get me wrong, it's a fantastic rifle, but it's no precision weapon.

I'd put a battle sight of some sort on it, or an ACOG (or ACOG style) X3 power, or at max a X5 fixed scope.

That's just me.

A NF scope is designed for precision rifles/shooting.

JAFO 14 March 2012 14:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matchanu (Post 1058116659)
Waste of money for a battle rifle like that.

Don't get me wrong, it's a fantastic rifle, but it's no precision weapon.

I'd put a battle sight of some sort on it, or an ACOG (or ACOG style) X3 power, or at max a X5 fixed scope.

That's just me.

A NF scope is designed for precision rifles/shooting.

Hey Match,

I was looking at the same thing for an M14, and also considering Super Sniper Scopes. Impressions/Critiques?

Thanks,
-JAFO

Matchanu 14 March 2012 15:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by JAFO (Post 1058116713)
Hey Match,

I was looking at the same thing for an M14, and also considering Super Sniper Scopes. Impressions/Critiques?

Thanks,
-JAFO

I have an SS on my M700.

It's a great scope for the money, but not a great scope by comparison to the Leupold or the NF. The optic quality is good, the mil dots are clear. The overall quality is good. The difference shows with the turret clicks and "zeroing" your turrets. The clicks are a bit sloppy, a bit too much play, and you can't release the turret on the windage to zero, at least on mine you can't.

Overall I'm pretty happy with it and would highly recommend it for an M-14. It's tough enough to handle the abuse.

logan3110 14 March 2012 16:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by TowGunner (Post 1058116002)
I will be going though a sniper course in May/June with my old PD and is the reason for the rifle build.

But a few tossed out getting a fixed power. What say the Sniper gods of SOCNET.

TowGunner- Do you have any information on the courses of fire or qualifications to pass?
If you're doing an LEO course, I would assume there's some rapid fire/ multiple target engagment/ <100yds. If this is the case, variable power would be a good quality to look for in a scope.
If most of the shooting is out past 400 as you indicated, you'll probably be ok with a fixed power.

lrsdave91 14 March 2012 19:25

Hey thanks Matchanu, I do appreciate, I may be purchasing a FNAR, I hear there as accurate as a bolt action, my buddy was a Marine sniper, he just bought one & loves it, maybe on that one, when the time comes.