View Single Post
Old 13 June 2016, 09:03
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigi View Post
I'm reading and listening to news today and the FBI seems to be in the crosshairs. They interviewed him three times during two investigations (as far as I can tell) and found no reason to place him on a terrorist watch list. I'm certain many Muslim men have been investigated based on various accusations or tips.

Based on limited information I'm wondering why the FBI is being taken to task. Did they drop the ball? Did this guy show himself to be a threat to Americans?

I'm not understanding the press. They seem to support letting more Muslim refugees into America. They seem to want Utopia here with regards to Muslims, and expect perfect execution of identifying who are the threats coming in, but yet don't understand why we can't find all the threats that are currently here now. In other words let's add more possible threats for an already overburdened Federal LEO workload?

The most informative description of those FBI inquiries is in this article....if accurate....LINK

Quote:
The gunman was a security guard with a company called G4S. In a 2012 newsletter, the firm identified him as working in West Palm Beach.

In a statement sent Sunday to the Palm Beach Post, the security company confirmed that he had been an employee since September 2007.

He was a 'known quantity' to the FBI and was investigated twice before the mass shooting.

The FBI said Mateen, who had no criminal history, was first interviewed in 2013 after he made 'inflammatory remarks' to a colleague.

'The FBI first became aware of Mateen in 2013 as he made inflammatory comments to coworkers, alleging possible terrorist ties,' Hopper said during a press conference. 'The FBI thoroughly investigated the matter including interviews of witnesses, physical surveillance and records checks.

'In the course of the investigation, Mateen was interviewed twice.

'Ultimately we were unable to verify the substance of his comments, and the investigation was closed.'

In 2014, Mateen came to the FBI's attention again and agents interviewed him about a potential connection he may have had with American suicide bomber Moner Abu Salha, who lived about 30 minutes away in Vero Beach, Florida.

'We determined that contact was minimal and didn't to constitute a substantive relationship or threat at that that time,' Hopper said.

In addition, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms said that Mateen purchased two weapons legally within the last week.

'He is not a prohibitive person so he can legally walk into a gun dealership,' the representative from the ATF said. 'He did so within the last week or so.'

Mateen had a Statewide Firearms License and was trained in firearms, according to Fox News.

The FBI believe Mateen, who was shot dead by officers, may have 'leanings to radical Islamic terrorism'.