View Single Post
Old 15 August 2019, 09:37
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET1/ss nuke View Post
If the 2nd Amendment is becoming as easy for the feds to ignore as the 10th, why not the 5th?
Brother,
IMHO, you win the Internet for the day.
I am uneasy about overzealous prosecutors. The US District Court Judge dismissed the case against him. He was again charged with manslaughter and won his appeal getting the charge dismissed. So the government came back and upped his charge to murder (to get around the Statute of Limitations) and has convicted him (twice). I wasn't there, he may be guilty as all get out. But when you compare his actions with those of his mates (read the initial dismissal) and after 2 "wins" they up the charges on him - well I think your Due Process observation is spot on. I feel for the man. v/r fkl

https://www.cadc.uscourts.gov/internet/opinions.nsf/6A43E282E3DC9FFE852581720053CBB5/$file/15-3078.pdf

"...a new grand jury, which returned indictments against the defendants for voluntary manslaughter, attempted manslaughter and using and discharging a firearm in relation to a crime of violence. Slatten moved to dismiss the charges against him as time-barred, which this Court ultimately granted by writ of mandamus. In re Slatten, No. 14-3007 (D.C. Cir. Apr. 18, 2014). The government thereafter obtained an indictment charging Slatten with first-degree murder."

"We further hold that Slatten's indictment charging first-degree murder did not constitute vindictive prosecution."

Last edited by Fu King Lawyer; 15 August 2019 at 09:45. Reason: trying to imbed the link - you'll jast have to paste it into your browser