View Single Post
Old 17 October 2017, 21:01
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kip View Post

Re: A foreign language - I've heard varying opinions with regards to degrees in Spanish and French and the like. Some people I've heard from have gotten degrees in the aforementioned languages, but didn't speak them, so they ended up not using their degree. Other people have had the opposite experience, where they got a degree in Spanish, coupled it with a semester or more studying abroad and are not fluent and working in Spain or Mexico, etc.

One of my cousins actually has a degree in Spanish and is working for a non-profit in TX where her knowing Spanish has been a major asset.

I have been wanting to learn a foreign language, though, and have been playing around with a few apps like DuoLingo.

Again, excellent advice.
Kip,
Forgive me? When I mentioned foreign languages helping you get hired - I should have been clearer. Mea Culpa.

You are in Florida and you can't throw a rock without hitting a Spanish speaker. I doubt that a degree in Spanish (for that matter, French) would give you an advantage in the hiring process.

However, with the amount of Russian/Eastern European crime syndicates in Florida (particularly along the Eastern seaboard) or a language such as Chinese whether it be Cantonese or Mandarin, or a tourist language such as Japanese or Korean, you might very well get a heads up.

This is just the observation of an old man no longer involved, but when I was, if you had any of the above, I would be pressing to hire you over somebody who spoke a language that is not in demand due to the availability of speakers already in the agency.

v/r
fkl

BTW: Back in the late 70s/early 80s the Agency was trying to hire librarians. They had so much raw info and nobody that could catalogue and retrieve it. You never know what will be in demand, hell back then if you were good at narcotics, you had a whole career in front of you. Now, with the skill set you are good for a field test.