View Single Post
Old 18 March 2010, 12:01
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matchanu View Post
I'm confused about this statement. I was in class 167, the first class to use the twin 80's as opposed to the steel twin 72's. The treading water and such was pass or fail in my class.

Was there a change at some point?
I remember this evolution like it was yesterday. Class 188 had to tread with hands out of the water. If you lowered your hands you got pulled out and told to lay on your back with twin-80's on and feet and arms in the air like a dead bug. Two guys actually non-verbal DOR'd because they panicked and swam to the side without being told. Even with their hands down they couldn't keep themselves from sinking. Only 3 or 4 guys in my class finished the full 5 minutes with hands out of the water. Everyone else played dead bug until time was up then got beat.

None of the guys who dropped their hands had to redo the tread. That really doesn't sound like pass/fail to me.

I spoke with CB who was the BUD/S director of training about a year ago, and he specifically mentioned the tread as being one of those evolutions that every team guy could give a different take on how it was done for their class and how we as a community need to standardize training.