View Single Post
Old 28 September 2019, 14:38
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Simpson View Post
Here, this monograph written by a student in the 1947-48 Infantry Officer Advanced Course is more to the point on the Alamo Scouts.

Author LTC Gibson Niles was the third and last director of training (as a MAJ) at the Alamo Scouts Training Center.

Just as a matter of interest the Alamo Scouts were recognized in 1988 with awarding them the Special Forces tab.

Finally, you can also access

CIA history of the Alamo Scouts
This just reminded me of a document I read on the National Archives while researching my father's Vietnam service. It was a conference on LRRP* activities in Vietnam (the conference was held at the Recondo training center IIRC). The General chairing the conference was a member of the Alamo scouts and compared his experiences with the LRRP units in Europe and in Vietnam. I think I saved the document and will post it when I find it.

*My dad was not a LRRP, I just came across the document while doing the research.

Edit: I found the document. I think I was mistaken about the Alamo Scouts. General Peers referenced his time in Burma. I don't know if the Alamo Scouts operated in that theater.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf LRRP.pdf (888.5 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by mb5417; 28 September 2019 at 15:05.