View Single Post
Old 2 April 2009, 13:20

Thank you for posting.

My father was a bugler at Arlington, words can’t describe how solemn a moment that is when they play taps for the final time.

It’s funny because I just spoke with him yesterday, and he told me that he had recently gone back there for a visit. He said that he was able to tour the grounds, retrace his ‘steps’, gain access to the restricted area, and meet up with some of the current Guardsmen.

They we’re pretty surprised to find out that he served way back in ‘53!

After the Army, my father went to college on the G.I. bill and pursued a career in teaching and coaching football.

He had a very long and successful coaching career, many, many championships at three different schools. He is probably the only high school football coach in America who has had a Superbowl MVP and hall of famer (Steve Young,) and a Superbowl winning head coach (Tom Coughlin) play for him in high school.

Different schools, different players, different era’s….but the coach and his philosophy never changed. He was hard nosed, honorable, and duty oriented….and his teams always reflected that.

I know that he took very seriously the development of the young men put in his charge. I also know that he rubbed many people the wrong way by being ‘old fashioned’ and uncompromising on his principles.

Undoubtedly, the principles and experiences instilled in him while a member of the Honor Guard coursed through his life and led to his success.

He’s a great man….he wound up touching more lives then he’ll ever know…..

Thanks again for posting.