Thread: Headsets?
View Single Post
Old 19 December 2009, 01:17
Marine

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC_ANGLICO View Post
I agree a hand mic is a great way to go and have used it extensively in the past.

We also used the Quiet Pro system a lot during training and workup. I happened to like this piece of kit, the aircraft seemed to hear me better in higher winds and during operations and I could hear them better too. We also had ours hooked into our 153's so I could flip between the radio sets and talk to my team.

It takes some getting used to having multiple radio freqs playing in your head, but when i really needed to concentrate on only the air, i could just turn down the motorola.
So I'm not the only one who liked the QPs. Every other Marine I've talked to hated them. I've heard good things about Silynx Quietops (might be called C2ops or some such now). Personally, I controlled a section of Cobras using QPs while wearing a gas mask, and the pilots could not tell the difference. Also used them while on a SURC going about 20 knots on Lake Qadussiya, absolutely zero wind noise. However, they are a PITA to don. There is a dual comm version that will connect to two MBITRs, 117s, 152s, etc.
"This is how it is when the war machine rolls back and forth. You take your pleasure where you can and when you can, and let the circumstances be damned. For tomorrow you may be somewhere else." - Cass

"I understand all of the words you used, but I don't know what you just said." - Gen. Hagee speaking to the MEU S-3