View Single Post
Old 18 January 2016, 19:36
Been There Done That

There is no doubt in my mind that another stock market crash is coming this year, and probably the second "dip" in the long awaited "double dip" recession, which, quite frankly, amazes me that it took two entire Presidential terms to get to.

I do, however, think that this kind of event is completely distinct from an "end of civilization" event where the number of bullets in your basement is going to be the ultimate arbiter of how well you weather the storm. I think a lot of people here have the two confused with each other. Economic problems don't mean people gunning each other down in the streets wholesale. We have these things from time to time, always have.

I think a lot of people actually want there to be a civilization level ending event (or at least think they do) for whatever reason. IDK if its just to justify their enormous expenditures for weapons and survival gear, if they are manifestly unhappy with their station in life and feel they'd fare better as the local warlord than laboring away at a lousy job, or if they are just so disgusted with the idea of how things run in the world on a marco level that they just want to see it all burn.

Personally, I enjoy my life and my time with my family, and would like to see things work out in the long run, rather than to have our way of life torn asunder (although I am prepared for it if it happens). I think people underestimate how ugly it could get, and how you are going to navigate that ugliness with a family in tow, especially one with young children. It blows my mind that people actually relish the idea of everything we know comnig apart at the seams.