View Single Post
Old 3 October 2011, 21:01

I think I should give some background on what is happening in the FDNY. We are currently being sued buy the DOJ and the Vulcan society.(Fraternal order of black firefighters) . We have a dept. that is 93% white and a few people have a problem with that. Apparently hiring the best people for the job regardless of color is a problem for them. They want racial quotas and a written exam that is tantamount to handing out a coloring book to qualify for the job.This case has been going on and on for years now. This Judge is literally out of his mind. Anyway, he told Dakota Meyer that if he opened up the filing period for everyone it would have a disparate impact(1967 civil rites act) on minorities in New York City. I know that sounds kind of funny but this is his logic. He says that the FDNY would not have enough time to go out and recruit blacks in the city during this time. Its a crazy thing. We have a job that has about 50,000 people taking the written exams and he thinks we have to recruit people. This is why Dakota Meyer said no. He wanted no special treatment. Just Google the whole case if you want more info...