View Single Post
Old 11 May 2008, 22:15
Hard to Kill

That SOB!

OAG,

I have carried a large frame auto (a Glock 21) just behind my right hip for over 15 years. I have also taught 100's of private citizens to carry concealed over the years. Here are my issues with an SOB holster.

Draw stroke issues:
1. This is about as long a draw stroke as you can make. You have to bring the weapon from the middle of your back all the way around to the front of you body for proper presentation. This leads to #2.
2. It is very difficult to perfect this draw stroke without flagging yourself (Covering your body with the muzzle of the weapon.
3. (This is my own personal problem) I am wider than my arms are long. I have to reach to an uncomfortable position to draw from an SOB holster.

Safety
1. At some point in time, even on the range practicing, you have to reholster, again very difficult to do without flagging yourself.
2. If you are on the range, when you are reholstering, you end up pointing your weapon down the firing line as opposed to down range. This makes me nervous as an instructor.

Gun retention
1. It is very difficult with one of these holsters. Outstretched hands are your only option. With a behind the hip option, you can use your arm and elbow to aid in retaining your firearm.

As far as your spine being broken, well, maybe not, IMHO many gun articles are written by authors who have more enthusiasm than experience. There is some validity to the statement about being on your back and havng access, however if you get physically knocked down with your pistol holstered, you don't have the proper situational awareness training to be carrying a CW anyway.

Comfort
1. This is also a big consideration. I tell my students that holsters are like women's shoes, you are gonna have a bunch of them. That 2.2 lb pistol at 0800 will weigh 6 lbs at 1800.
2. Just like uncomfortable shoes, you won't carry an uncomfortable holster, which means you go unarmed, that isn't good either.

The main thing is to practice with what you carry. Practice your draw stroke, practicing reholstering (NO Flagging!) and practice shooting the pistol you intend to carry, over and over. Draw and Shoot offhand and draw from odd positions like in a chair or car, with stuff in your hands etc. But Practice and when you are done, practice some more.

Last edited by The Fat Guy; 11 May 2008 at 22:17. Reason: I can shoot but not spell