View Single Post
Old 7 June 2019, 13:19
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin View Post
I disagree.

I don't want to descend into Bill-Clintonesqe "depends on what the meaning of the word hard is," (and, yes, I know we could have fun with that sentence, let's not derail this into that realm).

SF selection and training are hard. Serving as an SF soldier is a hard life. Much harder than my law enforcement work.

POVs are individual, clearly. My path to SF was hard. My 22 years of service in SF was hard. During my three separate stints as a SWC cadre, the training we conducted was hard.
Not so much referring to the lifestyle, combat etc, of course. As agree with your comments. The point I am trying to make, as advice to young men wanting to go into the Army and go SF eventually, as that with any other professions it is a step by step process. Do not quit. Do not give up. If one wants to be something, barring some medical disqualification, whether it be SF or a Doctor, they can. Just is a longer road to achieve that goal, than to just get an hourly job at the Home Depot.

Yes, of course the blisters, the pain, the sweat, the lack of sleep etc is challenging. But if one wants it, they can do it. That is why many quit, it become “too hard” in their minds. The discomforts outweighs the rewards. “Pain, suffering and denial for a higher purpose”.

What does make SF training “hard” compared to other endeavors is the prolonged challenge and physical hardships in training, but it does eventually come to an end. The hardest part is just getting started, and not quitting.

Last edited by leopardprey; 7 June 2019 at 13:28.