View Single Post
Old 27 September 2011, 10:16
Minus one, but more symmetrical....

I believe this thread has been hijacked, although I think the hijack is a worthwhile discussion. I hope the mods/admins chop the posts from this thread to another, and allow us to continue the discussion. Personally, I think it would be a great topic for the Lounge.

Now for my comment(s).

From an earlier post, it appears Meyer missed the deadline for applying for the FD position because of his MOH ceremony activities. Hmm. Seriously? The window for applying was so short, that Meyer could not apply and attend the MOH ceremonies? Or did he find out about the position while participating in the award stuff (ie, NY firefighters/police mentioned it to him) and the clock was already well underway on the applying period?

So he asks for an exception to the applying time period. But the exception needs to be for everyone -- because -- "hey, I'm not special." Right. And then when the judge gives him what he essentially wants, time to apply, he balks and once again says he isn't special.

I think Sgt Meyer is a no-doubt badass, who did some amazing things which we as a country are fortunate to be in a position to recognize. I also think he is showing an immature ASSitude. It is the same stuff he showed when called by the POTUS on the phone, but which he refused to answer because he was working. Seriously, I think one can take the "I'm not special" stuff to a point where it gets old.

He missed the window on the NYFD position, he can wait until it opens again, or apply somewhere else. And since he isn't looking for any special treatment, no biggee, right?