Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Employment and Training > Professional Development and Education

Old 2 August 2011, 12:51
Confirmed User

Paramedic Reentry

I maybe over thinking this but if there is anyone that can clarify an answer to this...

I completed NREMT-P at Tidewater in VA. 1998. Kept my certification up for a number of years. My certification lapsed in 2007.

Question: Has anyone "reentered" this program for National and State, and if so what is the step by step process you used?

What I have so far. The NREMT-P website reads I should have to
1) Register on the website
2) Take the computer test
3) Find a local area that can screen my station skills...
4) Oh and of course, pay the fees associated.

Thanks!

Surfer
Old 2 August 2011, 12:59
Anesthetized User

A lapse of 4 years and that is all you have to do? I would really do my homework with this. Are you talking JUST about NREMT-P or about state cert or licensure?

Either way talk to "Guy" about this very issue. I think he is in the midst of it.
Old 2 August 2011, 13:01
Insert witty comment here

You have to take a refresher course as well. EMT Inc in IN does (or used to do) a refresher that was geared to just taking the test as to get you in the mindset of how the NREMT test will be. We all know that what they look for in the practical and on some of the questions differs in real life situations and helps you read the questions/perform the procedures as they expect you to.

Hope this helps.

W_I
Old 2 August 2011, 17:35

If you have a current state cert you can take a 48 hour approved NREMTP refresher course as well as ACLS, PALS, PHTLS, CPR and fax that to the NREMT board in Ohio for approval. Once approved you can then schedule both the CBT and/or the practical exam. If you want a sure shot on practicals my .02 is check out Becker training center in New Hampshire they run a practical every month and they are down to earth. Good luck
Old 2 August 2011, 19:49
Confirmed User

I do not have a current state cert and never obtained one. As for the refresher course, I use to attend one but now, even with it, I think I still have to take the written test, ACLS, BLS, PALs, PHTLS, and do all the stations again. ( If I am reading the website correctly)

Thanks for all the help so far. I am just reviewing my options. I have read that a few others are doing the same and wanted to corral it all into one thread.

Thanks!

Surfer
Old 2 August 2011, 19:52
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expatmedic View Post
A lapse of 4 years and that is all you have to do? I would really do my homework with this. Are you talking JUST about NREMT-P or about state cert or licensure?

Either way talk to "Guy" about this very issue. I think he is in the midst of it.

When i called and reviewed the website for NREMT-P it did seem pretty simple. I am looking to go the National route as I understand it I can go from state to state with National BUT not all states have reciprocity.

Thanks

Surfer
Old 2 August 2011, 20:12
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Surfers View Post
When i called and reviewed the website for NREMT-P it did seem pretty simple. I am looking to go the National route as I understand it I can go from state to state with National BUT not all states have reciprocity.

Thanks

Surfer
Reverse that...National means pretty much nothing in most states. Most states require another state's cert if you are trying to cert in a state in which you did not attend paramedic training. A couple of states will allow you to "challenge" their test. Some overseas companies may honor NREMT-P.

NREMT-P is a business, their website will try to "sell" their product. I have had NREMT-P cert for 14 years, and it is pretty much worthless...I only maintain it cuz it's easy and free, as SOCOM pays for it for me. Do you have your ATP cert from JSOMTG? Your profile lists 18D. Are you an SFQC grad, or an SFMS grad? If you are still on AD, let Uncle Sugar help you!

Last edited by gavin; 2 August 2011 at 20:17.
Old 2 August 2011, 22:52
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin View Post
Reverse that...National means pretty much nothing in most states. Most states require another state's cert if you are trying to cert in a state in which you did not attend paramedic training. A couple of states will allow you to "challenge" their test. Some overseas companies may honor NREMT-P.

NREMT-P is a business, their website will try to "sell" their product. I have had NREMT-P cert for 14 years, and it is pretty much worthless...I only maintain it cuz it's easy and free, as SOCOM pays for it for me. Do you have your ATP cert from JSOMTG? Your profile lists 18D. Are you an SFQC grad, or an SFMS grad? If you are still on AD, let Uncle Sugar help you!

I copy all. Yes 18d, but terminal papers have been submitted. I fully agree on the EMT for dollars way they run it. Almost like a PADI course!

How does the ATP help us?

Thanks

Surfer
Old 3 August 2011, 00:12

As a side bar if you havent held a current cert over 2 years then you will have to take the paramedic program over in its entirety. 1 thing....My registry expired a few years back and the only saving grace I had was that I had a Pennslyvania cert so with that being said anyone who holds a paramedic cert should apply for reciprocity in PA as the cert never expires therefore it was my ace in the hole to get my NREMTP back. Good luck. Hope there is some sort of loop hole for you to sneak thru and if there is let us all know how you did it.
Old 3 August 2011, 05:34
Been There Done That

Quote:
I copy all. Yes 18d, but terminal papers have been submitted. I fully agree on the EMT for dollars way they run it. Almost like a PADI course!

How does the ATP help us?

Thanks

Surfer
Depending on what state you are dealing with, they may honor ATP as a current cert since your NREMT-P is lapsed. Operative word being may...

During my break in service several years back, I had NO LUCK getting any state to give a shit about my NREMT-P and all the accompanying certs (PHTLS, ACLS, PediPHTLS, ATLS, etc, etc). All the states I dealt with (CA, AK, WA, OR, ID) wanted to see a cert from another state and my # of ambulance hours. The hours they wanted was FAR MORE than any bridge course grad would ever have, too.

I did not pay attention when they were talking about it, but there is a program now where SOF medics can challenge the Flight Paramedic cert. It was mentioned while in was in SOFMSSC that last couple of time. You may be able to get info from the schoolhouse on the program.

I hope you are able to get some use from your SOF medical training...I was not able to do so, and ended up being the cop that all of the local paramedics kept asking for a second opinion.
Old 3 August 2011, 11:59
Confirmed User

Gavin and ctymedic,

Thanks for the help. I spoke with the NC coordinator for National and was told the test and the practicals as long as I had the current certifications. As I set into retirement mode, I am trying not to let it go to waste and be the "opinion guy". With that said I will drill down on this an post what I find.
Lastly I read and heard that GA gives some sort of reciprocity with a local address and an ATP card... Not sure...

As for the Flight Medic, I heard the same thing but was not interested at the time so I purged the data.

Thanks and I will post what I find.

Surfer
Old 4 August 2011, 18:57
NKDA

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin View Post
During my break in service several years back, I had NO LUCK getting any state to give a shit about my NREMT-P and all the accompanying certs (PHTLS, ACLS, PediPHTLS, ATLS, etc, etc). All the states I dealt with (CA, AK, WA, OR, ID) wanted to see a cert from another state and my # of ambulance hours. The hours they wanted was FAR MORE than any bridge course grad would ever have, too.
Ah. It's because you were looking at all Nazi states. Most of the southern states and many central/eastern states have NR reciprocity.

But even as you mentioned, CA will take NR cert as long as you show proof of schooling and test-out of the county examinations. The problem you encountered there is contact hours based on what I gather was an ATP to EMT-P bridge program. Or did you graduate from the schoolhouse when EMT-P was still an option? Either way, we have had a few 18D to NR discussions buried in here somewhere.

Not sure how many years back you are referring to but some stuff has come along. Be looking for it to change more when the NR Education Process requires collegiate accredidation. Its a slow machine but NR is still growing.

-----

5Surfers: Rattle off some PMs to the PJs. They receive NREMT-P through Kirkland and probably have much more experience keeping track of its requirements. On this same note, you can call up JTM Training based out of Nellis. Its a medic refresher program run by PJs. They and/or their doc should be able to get you what you need.
Old 5 August 2011, 23:35
Confirmed User

Nice!

O pos

Great info. I completely forgot about the PJ's. Thats my next move. I was the last class at Sam so the P classes started about 2 years later. I transitioned to meet the requirements through a local college sponsored by Uncle Sugar. Just never really got my head wrapped around the ATP other than local MTFs being able to understand our actual scope of practice when we worked. They still seem to be hesitant. My firm belief is we should be able to meet the requirements to enter PA or NP programs at the doorstep. my .02 I would have a better chance in a gun fight with a tooth pick...
Either way thanks for the knowledge. I will post what I find.

Surfer
Old 8 August 2011, 19:33
"Mierda!"

Give me 48hrs to get back with you on the Paramedic-reentry.

Stay safe.
Old 8 August 2011, 21:36
Confirmed User

National Page results

The following is from the National Page. I called and spoke to the NC State office and the guy actually acted like I was the first person in his life to ever ask how to reenter the program... Not helpful at all.

EMT-Paramedic / Paramedic Re-Entry Policy

Entry and/or re-entry into the National Registry may be granted to a previously state certified or Nationally Registered EMT-Paramedic / Paramedic provided you:

1. Officially document completion of a DOT EMT-Paramedic / Paramedic Training Program after January 1, 1977.

2. Show satisfactory evidence to the NREMT of prior state certification (licensure) as an EMT-Paramedic / Paramedic.

3. Have current status as a provider or instructor in ACLS by the American Heart Association.

4. Completed either PHTLS or ITLS as a provider or instructor within the past two (2) years.

5. Have completed a state approved DOT EMT-Paramedic / Paramedic Refresher Training Program or completed forty-eight (48) hours of ALS training that overviews the topical content of the DOT EMT-Paramedic / Paramedic Refresher Training Program.

6. Have a letter of approval from the state EMS office in the state where you work or are to work. The letter should show the state's support of the candidate's taking the examination.

7. Successfully complete the NREMT EMT-Paramedic / Paramedic cognitive and psychomotor examinations.

Surfer out!
Old 8 August 2011, 23:05
"Mierda!"

Interesting....

Surfer,

When was this instituted? I'll give them a call in the AM.

Stay safe.
Old 8 August 2011, 23:35
Confirmed User

Guy,

Just pulled this from the website tonight. Its actually easy if you can hit a "refresher" course that certs all of these.

Then study an online meds section.

Then test online,

Then find the local area to do the stations....

Relatively easy....

Oh yeah and the PHTLS requirement.

Seems easy in down time between rotations but obviously it can eat up a lot of time.

Let me know what you can. Thanks

Surfer
Old 8 August 2011, 23:39
Casual Observer

RE-Entry

Quote:

6. Have a letter of approval from the state EMS office in the state where you work or are to work. The letter should show the state's support of the candidate's taking the examination.
So the hardest part is going to be #6. I would go to your current medical director and get a letter stating you have continued to practice at the paramedic level since your certification lapse as seen by keeping up your ATP, medical CEU's, etc. If NC can't help, GA is really military friendly and might be more receptive. I posted the GA 18Delta to NREMT on a different thread before.
Old 9 August 2011, 00:00
Casual Observer

Georgia EMT-P Reciprocity.
• Georgia will issue a state EMT-P license based on the
medic being a current ATP, and having an ATP score on
file.
• You must have taken and passed theATP exam to be eligible
for reciprocity.
One common problem is that the ATP was trained
prior to FY 2006 (SOCM) or FY 2007 (PJ) and does not
have a validATP test score on file. If you fall into this category,
please contact us at ATP@socom.mil for a schedule
of ATP tests.
Contact Information for the Georgia EMT-P:
JasseneWilliams, Program Assistant
Personnel Licensing & Compliance
GA Dept of Community Health
2600 Skyland Dr Lower Level
Atlanta, GA 30319
Phone: (404) 679-0544
Old 9 August 2011, 00:05
Casual Observer

Journal of Special Operations Medicine Volume 9, Edition 4 / Fall 09
NREMT Registration/ Examination Information
The U.S.Army EMS Programs Management Office has granted approval for those completing the Special Operations Combat (SOCM) course to challenge the
NREMT-Paramedic examination. Below are instructions and guidelines to follow should you want to take the NREMT-P exam.
1. Personnel who have completed the SOCM course are eligible to challenge the NREMT-Paramedic exam, Computer Based Test (CBT) and the Practical Skills evaluation
(both are required.) Also, personnel who allowed their NREMT certification to lapse and attended SOCMSSC since 2002 are eligible to challenge the NREMT-Basic (CBT only) or Paramedic exams.
2. Examination fee for the Computer Based Test (CBT) is $110.00, payable three ways to NREMT: a. Check/ money order (slow process as this
must be mailed) b. Credit card (secure site) c. Payment voucher purchased through the
NREMT website
3. The NREMT Computer Based Test should be available at any Post/Base DANTES testing center (Education Center). Check with them to find out if that location
is able to receive the NREMT-P examination. Otherwise, you will have to follow the directions in the Authority To Test letter from NREMT to contact Pearson VUE.
4. Practical Skills Examination location can be found through the website and maybe check with a local community college/ hospital based or fire service based paramedic
training program. These usually require scheduling through them in order to attend their examination(s) dates. Additionally, be prepared to pay a “site fee” at the practical skills exam location. This may range from no fee to in excess of $150.00
5. To register for an examination, go to the www.nremt.org website a. At the website, click on “Apply to be nationally certified.” b. If you have not registered with NREMT before, you will be required to establish a username and password. Like any other username and password, don’t forget them!
6. When registering, the website will ask what state the course was attended: Use “AM“ (Army), rather than your state of residence. Course site codes are:
a. Completed SOCM and registering to take the
NREMT-Basic exam; site code AM-800
b. Completed SOCM and registering to take the
NREMT-Paramedic exam: P-001
c. Completed SOCMSSC and registering to take
either the NREMT-Basic or Paramedic exam:
PB-001
7. After registering for the Paramedic exam, email Mr.
Cox at the JSOMTC, coxkl@soc.mil. Mr. Cox will verify
your completion of the SOCM course which let the
NREMT know you are eligible to challenge the
NREMT-P exam.
8. Study/ Review! Whether attempting the Paramedic
exam for the 3rd time or the first time, review is necessary.
The SOCM course did a great job of teaching
basic/paramedic and beyond knowledge and skills; but,
some material addressed by the NREMT examination
were not covered well: IE; EMS operations, OB/Gyn,
peds, geriatrics, crime scene awareness, HAZMAT and
cardiology. Practical Skills Examination check sheets
can be printed from the www.nrmet.org website. Practice
with them in order to learn/ retain the flow NREMT
expects skills to be demonstrated.
a. Other study guides, reference material are
available at your local bookstore, e.g.: Barnes
& Noble,Walden books, Books-a-Million,
Amazon.com, Borders, libraries, etc. Any of
the current edition texts/review books should
have the latest material necessary to pass the
NREMT exam.
b. Be prepared to test when scheduling for the
Practical Exams. There is no review/ train-up
time at an examination site. A brief familiarization
will be given to a piece of unfamiliar
equipment… otherwise be ready with your
knowledge and psychomotor skill ability.
c. If you feel a refresher is needed before scheduling,
check with a local medical training facility
(community college, hospital, EMS
service, medical training company.)

Our new posting rules