Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Terrorism and Asymmetric Warfare

Old 17 September 2011, 08:42
"Mierda!"

Lightbulb Looking back...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple36 View Post
Well, we sure didn't do a very good job in Iraq the first few years........
Whomever ordered the dismantling of the Iraqi Army didn't help either.....

Stay safe.
Old 17 September 2011, 10:58
Make a desert and call it peace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
Whomever ordered the dismantling of the Iraqi Army didn't help either.....

Stay safe.
We had three chances to solve that problem and we muffed all three. We didn't kill them, we didn't employ them and we sure as Hell didn't conqueor them. And I doubt we learned much of anything from the effort. S/F....Ken M

Political correctness is thuggery for the passive-aggressive.
Old 17 September 2011, 19:05
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

I think the dismantling of the Iraqi Army was already a bit of a fait acompli. By the time Bremer and the CPA got around to it, it had already more or less disbanded on its own, as I understood it.

Probably the bigger problem arose with the whole de-baathazation process, when the CPA essentially gutted the bureaucrats who basically ran the country. There probably was a small window of opportunity to get everybody on the same page to keep the trains running, to borrow a metaphor, but they were more interested in making sure everybody was politically pure.

Good luck with that. A smaller force could have probably gotten the job done, but not when they're tasked with doing all the work that was formerly performed by the natives, especially those who knew what buttons needed to be pushed to keep things running smoothly.

One of the best examples of just how insane the priorities of the CPA were was the formation of the Iraqi stock market. It's been written about extensively, so no need to go into it here, but they were looking to gold plate something that required bricks and mortar, and wound up failing spectacularly.
Old 10 December 2011, 13:02
My ERB's on SOCNET

The topic rears its head again

http://battleland.blogs.time.com/201...-civilian-gap/

I thought the recruiting point of view was an interesting breakout. More to the point, if less than 1% of the populace serve, it sure won't hurt any politicians over the course of a career to turn his back on promises to care for vets. This really bodes poorly for VA issues.
“Creating effective intelligence is an inherent and essential responsibility of command. Intelligence failures are failures of command – [just] as operations failures are command failures.” Marine Corps Doctrinal Publication 2-Intelligence
Old 10 December 2011, 14:09
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy2k View Post
This really bodes poorly for VA issues.
It's been said (and I believe) that every people has the government they deserve. Someone could coin a corollary about every nation's military, something along the lines that every people will get the defense they pay for.

Our new posting rules