Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Gear, Survival and Fieldcraft

View Poll Results: What % of Friends/Family are Fully Prepared for Global Disaster (3-18 Month Survival)
Less than 1% 83 44.86%
1-10% 64 34.59%
10-20% 19 10.27%
20-30% 10 5.41%
Greater than 30% 9 4.86%
Voters: 185. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #501  
Old 17 February 2012, 13:55
OldSwabbie OldSwabbie is offline
Clan Stiùbhard (Stuart)..
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Woodruff, South Carolina
Posts: 2,264
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGR.Montcalm View Post
Saw an episode of 'Doomsday Preppers' SAT night;

I about fell out of my chair when one of the preppers- David Kobler- was one of the guys from my old Infantry BN. He didn't come across as a loon but the way he, his family, and the family they have teamed up with have stuff stacked EVERYWHERE in their communal home was over the top.

As posted above, he made a point about stocking up on toilet paper. Baby wipes aren't a bad item to stock up on either...

Just sayin'...
David & his family and the friends have it MADE! They live about an hour away from me. I could only HOPE to get to where they are in preparations. I thought the idea of the wood-gas burning truck was ingenious.. especially when they could connect the gas to the generator. It don't get much better than what these guys have done.
__________________
Take one vial of my blood and I will not die. But if you continue taking it one vial at a time, slowly... I will die slowly. But make no mistake.. I WILL die ....the same with my RIGHTS!
Reply With Quote
  #502  
Old 19 February 2012, 11:43
EchoFiveMike's Avatar
EchoFiveMike EchoFiveMike is offline
Make a desert and call it peace.
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: back home, IVO chicago
Posts: 5,375
Pickling is another good way to store some food items long term, although a lot of pickling is probably covered under "salting" and "canning." As mentioned, fish make an excellent source of protein in stationary survival type situations and if you have low temp storage (under 40F) pickled fish can last over a month.

Pickled eggs are also a good protein source, and will not require refrigeration. A lot of old time bars have a jar of pickled eggs on the bar. They do tend to cause awful gas. S/F.....Ken M
__________________
It's a hardball world, son. We've got to try to keep our heads until this peace craze blows over.

Political correctness is thuggery for the passive-aggressive.

Last edited by EchoFiveMike; 19 February 2012 at 11:53.
Reply With Quote
  #503  
Old 20 February 2012, 12:04
OldSwabbie OldSwabbie is offline
Clan Stiùbhard (Stuart)..
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Woodruff, South Carolina
Posts: 2,264
Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoFiveMike View Post
Pickling is another good way to store some food items long term, although a lot of pickling is probably covered under "salting" and "canning." As mentioned, fish make an excellent source of protein in stationary survival type situations and if you have low temp storage (under 40F) pickled fish can last over a month.

Pickled eggs are also a good protein source, and will not require refrigeration. A lot of old time bars have a jar of pickled eggs on the bar. They do tend to cause awful gas. S/F.....Ken M
I like sweet pickles (once in awhile).. but I will jump through hoops and clap my hands like a walrus for pickled Okra I've got about 30 jars of it from last year.. my daughter Davonne will wipe out half a jar every visit as well.

I just picked up another 25lbs of morton Salt from Walmart. Now that Saltwater pools are the rage.. its come down in price and is in granular form instead of chunks like for a water conditioner. I dont worry about having too much salt if nothing goes wrong.. I can always use it on the walkways and porch steps (concrete) to de-ice them in the winter.

I'm learning that a Costco membership has its rewards as well for cool stuff like Tarps.. you get TWO tarps for $12.00 that in Walmart (same size) sells for $13.99.
__________________
Take one vial of my blood and I will not die. But if you continue taking it one vial at a time, slowly... I will die slowly. But make no mistake.. I WILL die ....the same with my RIGHTS!
Reply With Quote
  #504  
Old 20 February 2012, 12:36
GPC's Avatar
GPC GPC is offline
Nice Guy
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Live Free or Die!
Posts: 2,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoFiveMike View Post

Pickled eggs are also a good protein source, and will not require refrigeration. A lot of old time bars have a jar of pickled eggs on the bar. They do tend to cause awful gas. S/F.....Ken M
A bar I went to would sell a Slim Jim and 2 pickled eggs and call it steak and eggs.
Along with mystery draft.
__________________
Steel Rain Brings The Pain!
Reply With Quote
  #505  
Old 20 February 2012, 12:55
RGR.Montcalm's Avatar
RGR.Montcalm RGR.Montcalm is offline
Been There Done That
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Clearing fields of fire
Posts: 9,498
I was in Rural King yesterday and saw "Pickled Beet Eggs"- for those of you unfamiliar with this gastronomic gut bomb, they are eggs that are placed into the 'juice' of pickled beets and let sit for a while (yuck).

My mom used to like them- I personally liked the pickled eggs because of the TREMENDOUS farts they produced while out fishing...
__________________
Shallow men believe in luck; strong men believe in cause and effect
Reply With Quote
  #506  
Old 20 February 2012, 12:56
EchoFiveMike's Avatar
EchoFiveMike EchoFiveMike is offline
Make a desert and call it peace.
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: back home, IVO chicago
Posts: 5,375
Sounds like a quality place S/F.....Ken M
__________________
It's a hardball world, son. We've got to try to keep our heads until this peace craze blows over.

Political correctness is thuggery for the passive-aggressive.
Reply With Quote
  #507  
Old 20 February 2012, 14:08
OldSwabbie OldSwabbie is offline
Clan Stiùbhard (Stuart)..
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Woodruff, South Carolina
Posts: 2,264
My Dad was a no nonsense kind of guy, but one you could always count on. His best friend in the world was a crazy sumbitch... Florida Highway patrolman Marvin. Going Deer hunting to north Florida one year Marvin rides with my father.. they stop for gas at some rural gas station. Marvin gets a couple pickled eggs.. and is also drinking beer (since he wasnt driving)..

I'm behind them a ways up the road when I see my Dad hanging his torso out the drivers side window. A few miles later he motions for the "convoy" (4 or 5 vehicles) to pull over on the shoulder. My Dad almost falls out of the truck trying to catch his breath. Marvin had started farting.. Pickled Eggs & Beer farts.. I got close to the truck to ask him what was wrong .... then I smelled "it" myself. Dad mad Marvin ride in the back of the truck for the next 100 miles. Funniest thing I can remember about pickled eggs & beer farts
__________________
Take one vial of my blood and I will not die. But if you continue taking it one vial at a time, slowly... I will die slowly. But make no mistake.. I WILL die ....the same with my RIGHTS!
Reply With Quote
  #508  
Old 20 February 2012, 15:10
RGR.Montcalm's Avatar
RGR.Montcalm RGR.Montcalm is offline
Been There Done That
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Clearing fields of fire
Posts: 9,498
Thumbs up

Rural King for the uninitiated, is a farm supply store. They have all sorts of stuff but I'm homing in on their canning equipment and jerky stuff.

Oh, and they have free popcorn for customers!
__________________
Shallow men believe in luck; strong men believe in cause and effect
Reply With Quote
  #509  
Old 20 February 2012, 19:36
OutsideTheB OutsideTheB is offline
On the Extract Bird
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 2,475
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGR.Montcalm View Post
......Oh, and they have free popcorn for customers!
Now that would draw me.
Reply With Quote
  #510  
Old 20 February 2012, 23:23
CA SGT's Avatar
CA SGT CA SGT is offline
What could possibly go wrong?
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Here and There
Posts: 752
Oh man, pickled egg stories......Working a two man unit with my partner who had eaten a bunch of pickled eggs. It was so rancid that I had to pull over and get out of the unit and air it out.....On as side note, I ate a bunch of flaming hot cheetos and coors light at a conference. Next day at class was pretty funny.....LOL
__________________
This job isn't dangerous enough....I need to start milking rattlesnakes and jerking off tarantulas on my lunch hour.
Reply With Quote
  #511  
Old 21 February 2012, 17:57
OldSwabbie OldSwabbie is offline
Clan Stiùbhard (Stuart)..
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Woodruff, South Carolina
Posts: 2,264
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA SGT View Post
Oh man, pickled egg stories......Working a two man unit with my partner who had eaten a bunch of pickled eggs. It was so rancid that I had to pull over and get out of the unit and air it out.....On as side note, I ate a bunch of flaming hot cheetos and coors light at a conference. Next day at class was pretty funny.....LOL
Exactly the same thing my Dad had to do.. He just couldn't take it. My wife has also banned ME from eating boiled peanuts unless I'm going to be away from home for a few hours. I lit up the livingroom so bad one night she hit me with a pillow on the way out.
__________________
Take one vial of my blood and I will not die. But if you continue taking it one vial at a time, slowly... I will die slowly. But make no mistake.. I WILL die ....the same with my RIGHTS!
Reply With Quote
  #512  
Old 21 February 2012, 18:11
jtk317's Avatar
jtk317 jtk317 is offline
Migratory Coconut
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 2,888
For me it was always those Cheeto's Checkers that were out for a short time. Ate a whole bag one day during a road trip with my mom and brother. I woke up from sleeping in the back seat on the side of the road with both doors open and nobody else in the car. Freaked me out until I saw them both bent over outside catching their breath.
__________________
"Do you deny the accuracy of the meter!? "
-Johan

"I may go to hell for it, but recess will be legendary!"- Longrifle

"If at first an idea does not sound absurd, then there is no hope for it." - Einstein
Reply With Quote
  #513  
Old 3 March 2012, 10:23
GPC's Avatar
GPC GPC is offline
Nice Guy
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Live Free or Die!
Posts: 2,052
I need to get some salt didn't think of that.
__________________
Steel Rain Brings The Pain!
Reply With Quote
  #514  
Old 6 March 2012, 14:13
OldSwabbie OldSwabbie is offline
Clan Stiùbhard (Stuart)..
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Woodruff, South Carolina
Posts: 2,264
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
I need to get some salt didn't think of that.
Pick up some epson salts and baking soda as well. Costco has some huge quantities for a very good price. If you're not a member its worth the $45!

I'm hoping to stockpile about 150lbs+ of salt. Its so cheap but yet could be SO important.
__________________
Take one vial of my blood and I will not die. But if you continue taking it one vial at a time, slowly... I will die slowly. But make no mistake.. I WILL die ....the same with my RIGHTS!
Reply With Quote
  #515  
Old 6 March 2012, 14:35
MikeC2W's Avatar
MikeC2W MikeC2W is offline
Cry havoc
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Ciudad Juarez
Posts: 11,155
I watched the movie Shooter this last Sunday, and while I was sitting there I got inspired to look up shit like, using sugar on wounds, making from scratch your own IV's...etc..

I didn't find much on trying to create IV usuable saline solution from salt and water, although it did seem possible I think you could probably really fuck yourself up if you got the ratio wrong - Doc's any word on this? I certainly would not try it...

On the other hand, using sugar and or honey on wounds is a centuries (think ancient Egypt) old technique. Apparently it's one that is slightly coming back into mainstream. Honey actually produces a natural hydrogen peroxide. Both of these went out of common usage with the advent of penicillin and bottled hydrogen peroxide... but with certain anti-biotic resistant bacteria doc's seem to be taking a second look. Of course there's also the incredible edible maggot therapy...

It turned into a very interesting read - honey, sugar and maggots - what could be better? 3 very common naturally occurring capabilities with huge medicinal value.
__________________
Cco 1/75
RLTW


Two eyes from the east.
Reply With Quote
  #516  
Old 6 March 2012, 17:48
KidA's Avatar
KidA KidA is offline
Authorized Personnel
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Big Sky Country
Posts: 14,113
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeC2W View Post
- honey, sugar and maggots -
Sounds like some strippers off Bragg Blvd.

Name's Honey, promises you sugar and what you got was....
__________________
"“Since mankind's dawn, a handful of oppressors have accepted the responsibility over our lives that we should have accepted for ourselves. By doing so, they took our power. By doing nothing, we gave it away. We've seen where their way leads, through camps and wars, towards the slaughterhouse.” ."
Reply With Quote
  #517  
Old 6 March 2012, 17:50
RGR.Montcalm's Avatar
RGR.Montcalm RGR.Montcalm is offline
Been There Done That
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Clearing fields of fire
Posts: 9,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeC2W View Post
I watched the movie Shooter this last Sunday, and while I was sitting there I got inspired to look up shit like, using sugar on wounds, making from scratch your own IV's...etc..

I didn't find much on trying to create IV usuable saline solution from salt and water, although it did seem possible I think you could probably really fuck yourself up if you got the ratio wrong - Doc's any word on this? I certainly would not try it...

On the other hand, using sugar and or honey on wounds is a centuries (think ancient Egypt) old technique. Apparently it's one that is slightly coming back into mainstream. Honey actually produces a natural hydrogen peroxide. Both of these went out of common usage with the advent of penicillin and bottled hydrogen peroxide... but with certain anti-biotic resistant bacteria doc's seem to be taking a second look. Of course there's also the incredible edible maggot therapy...

It turned into a very interesting read - honey, sugar and maggots - what could be better? 3 very common naturally occurring capabilities with huge medicinal value.
Maggots have to be carefully monitored or they will start eating 'live' flesh....
__________________
Shallow men believe in luck; strong men believe in cause and effect
Reply With Quote
  #518  
Old 6 March 2012, 23:17
jasonglh's Avatar
jasonglh jasonglh is offline
Confirmed User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Western Kentucky
Posts: 685
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGR.Montcalm View Post
I was in Rural King yesterday and saw "Pickled Beet Eggs"- for those of you unfamiliar with this gastronomic gut bomb, they are eggs that are placed into the 'juice' of pickled beets and let sit for a while (yuck).

My mom used to like them- I personally liked the pickled eggs because of the TREMENDOUS farts they produced while out fishing...

My dad likes to feed my kid all kinds of stuff then send her home. I'm gonna get her some of those to eat before she goes to visit.
__________________
Victory is the only end that justifies the sacrifice of men at war.

Col. Robert W. Black
Reply With Quote
  #519  
Old 16 April 2012, 10:11
GPC's Avatar
GPC GPC is offline
Nice Guy
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Live Free or Die!
Posts: 2,052
How about alternative weapon lube and cleaning gear?

I have used 5W20 and ATF from the dipstick in my PTR91.
They both worked well and I used a knotted boot lace to clean the tube.
Worked better than nothing.
I had a friend who used olive oil to lube his AK with good results.

I believe this would be a good thing to discuss.
And maybe some survival gunsmithing.
__________________
Steel Rain Brings The Pain!
Reply With Quote
  #520  
Old 16 April 2012, 13:21
RGR.Montcalm's Avatar
RGR.Montcalm RGR.Montcalm is offline
Been There Done That
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Clearing fields of fire
Posts: 9,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
How about alternative weapon lube and cleaning gear?

I have used 5W20 and ATF from the dipstick in my PTR91.
They both worked well and I used a knotted boot lace to clean the tube.
Worked better than nothing.
I had a friend who used olive oil to lube his AK with good results.

I believe this would be a good thing to discuss.
And maybe some survival gunsmithing.
We used to use sewing machine oil applied to a piece of cloth that was tied to fishing line (25 test) and a split shot

I should have patented it- now it's called a Boresnake...

http://www.hoppes.com/products/ca_boresnakes.html
__________________
Shallow men believe in luck; strong men believe in cause and effect
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Our new posting rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:31.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Socnet.com All Rights Reserved
SOCNET