Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Veterans Issues

Old 17 February 2012, 16:03
Teaching my cat to read..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stopp700 View Post
Logan: It says that you are VA Case worker. Go ask one of your coaches. I am confident in what I say about the effective date of your claim goes back to the day after you ETS as long as you file with in a year of ETSing. I will get a reference when I go back to work next Tuesday for you.
No need, I just found this (excerpt from attachment):
(i) Direct service connection (3.4(b)). Day following separation from active service or date entitlement arose if claim is received within 1 year after separation from service; otherwise, date of receipt of claim, or date entitlement arose, whichever is later. Separation from service means separation under conditions other than dishonorable from continuous active service which extended from the date the disability was incurred or aggravated

You, sir, are correct. I am texting the missus right now to have her make a warm humble pie.
No, I'm not a VA employee. I'm sure about that one.
Attached Files
File Type: doc s3_400.doc (42.5 KB, 2 views)
Old 17 February 2012, 16:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stopp700 View Post
DOC
I just saw something in your profile. How many yrs did you have before the med retired you? This is important to how much $$$ you get from CRSC. You can not make more CRSC pay than your retirement pay. If I read your profile right you retired after 10yrs. what year did you retire?
I replied via pm to your question.

Doc wilson
Old 17 February 2012, 16:45
Administrator

The PTSD claim issue may have exploded in recent years, but it has been going on for awhile. The push to have everyone and his brother claim it only hurts those who really have it.

When I retired I was told "you have to have PTSD" "you'll get a higher rating if you file for it", etc... I refused and refused on subsequent visits and new evaluations. During that time, the fear was the loss of clearance and the ability to work for certain orgs after retirement as well as it didn't seem right.

Now, I wake up most mornings with both hands numb and my left quad without feeling, hips aching and the VA is making me jump through hoops to get my rating increased. I really think they show discrimination to those who keep fit, like it's impossible to have chronic pain and maintain a fit appearance and still be able to do what needs to be done when it needs to be done.

They beat the PTSD drum to me constantly like I have to be affected negatively by some things I've been involved in. I can see why some guys may get frustrated and use that to get an increased rating since it appears to be almost automatic.
Old 17 February 2012, 20:40
Been There Done That

Ratings

SilverBullet:
I understand exactly what you are saying. I do not have PTSD but I do have some major ortho problems from jumping and other fun things. I hate it when the VA will not say one problem is not from the other. My back has spasims (sp) upon spasims. Thats when it really hurts. Look I just got home from dinner/drinks. Can I touch base with you in AM? Let me know.

Last edited by Stopp700; 17 February 2012 at 20:46. Reason: Too much steak made me make mistakes
Old 17 February 2012, 21:16
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverbullet View Post
the fear was the loss of clearance and the ability to work for certain orgs after retirement as well as it didn't seem right.
That is exactly why I never made the effort to even see if I rated any disability. I guess I had this fear of being labeled "disabled" and that is counter to everything I have always been. While I knew I had lost much of my hearing and had developed chronic aches in my knees, I still maintain my fitness level and did not want to be seen as anything other than 100%.

I knew when I retired that I was going to pursue a second career in law enforcement and did not want to be passed over because someone thought I was physically unable to perform anything that was expected of me.

Hell, I can still outrun/PT most of my officers who are 20 years younger than me...bad knees and all. I have to ask myself, "is that disabled?"
Old 18 February 2012, 07:00
Been There Done That

The VA will not release medical info on anyone, HIPPA, unless it is determined the individual can/will hurt him self or others. The only way an organization can find out you have any VA disability is you tell them yourself.
Old 18 February 2012, 09:49
Decisive Terrain

I see a lot of PTSD "disabled" guys riding around on Harleys and I can't help thinking jaded thoughts. Years ago I went to one group therapy session for help (I was already SC for other issues and was not working a claim), but found myself in a room with 2 other legitimate combat or combat-wounded vets and about 25 nonhacks and various opportunists working claims. The 3 of us never said a word, just sat there and watched the bullshit and the tears pile up. (You got an issue, here's a tissue) And to add insult to injury, the shrink who was running the show was like Mr Rogers in a room full of 4-year olds. I'm sitting there thinking, I'm a grown man, why is this asshole talking like this?

The session had one positive effect on me. It made further group conselling unecessary.
Old 28 February 2012, 20:09
Confirmed User

A new report:
Treatment Of PTSD And Traumatic Brain Injury By The Veterans Health Administration
February 10, 2012
at http://www.cbo.gov/publication/42980
Old 10 April 2012, 21:35
If you don't smell ozone, the radiation won't kill you before next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSwabbie View Post
I am NOT a combat veteran, but I lost a lot of my hearing because of my job in the US Navy. I have a ringing in my ears that NEVER, EVER goes away because of it as well. I have other injuries that have me at 100% disabled ... but I continue to work 50 hours a week and put up the pain. I would go CRAZY if I didn't work.
Same here on all of the above. 6 1/2 years of working with high pressure steam pipes above my head or standing next to a big diesel or in a decontamination suit with an air-fed hood while running a radioactive waste press played havoc with my hearing. I made a copy of my med record before I separated in 1994, and the annual hearing tests show an ongoing decline. It also contains documentation of a half dozen ankle injuries over an 8 year period, which matters because of my collapsed arches, resulting knee pain, and chronic ankle pain that makes walking painful and running impossible. I was a wreck 18 years ago when I separated, but I was told that if I didn't sign off saying that I was physically OK, my EAOS would be delayed until I finished recieving treatment. I dropped off my records at the VA as soon as I became a civilian, but I never applied for any benefits. After all these years, I have an appointment later this week to evaluate what help if any the VA will render. They told me that all I needed to bring was my DD214 and my marriage license.

"I agree that his intentions are suspect, and that he likely needs to die...." - SOTB

"Just a lone patriot acting alone at a fulcrum point, ideally in a deniable fashion. A perpetrator of accidents." - Magician
Old 10 April 2012, 22:59
Platypus bill sharpener

I'm glad I saw this as it has backed up what others have told me about getting a re-eval. So check this out, I have two rods in the neck of my femur from fastroping, two in my right foot from another service related injury, chronic back issues from the butchers that worked on my leg at Martin Army and jumping out of flying floating rolling things, and PTSD. I get 10%......that was for hearing loss. I'm laughing right now, really. Going and getting a re-eval has sounded aggravating and exhausting but I know I need to. So am I to gather from what I've read that the VA is the best place to start?
Old 11 April 2012, 07:52
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headshot View Post
I'm glad I saw this as it has backed up what others have told me about getting a re-eval. So check this out, I have two rods in the neck of my femur from fastroping, two in my right foot from another service related injury, chronic back issues from the butchers that worked on my leg at Martin Army and jumping out of flying floating rolling things, and PTSD. I get 10%......that was for hearing loss. I'm laughing right now, really. Going and getting a re-eval has sounded aggravating and exhausting but I know I need to. So am I to gather from what I've read that the VA is the best place to start?
I'd start with collecting all of your medical records, military as well as civilian.
Find a good VSO that has an office in your VARO, make an appointment and have them help you fill out the paperwork.
Old 11 April 2012, 14:21
???

Exclamation

I am going through the re-eval process now. When folks who had been there before said it would be easier to just walk way; they were not kidding! Talk about a pain in the a$$. Unfortunately just the way it is...

I do have a question. I have been given "x" rating when I left active duty. I was mobilized on orders (my Guard unit) and am not back from my OCONUS deployment. I had my VA compensation stopped until after I came back from my deployment which is what you are supposed to do. I blasted my ankle pretty good on a V-22 fast rope and then again a couple months later doing PT. The 18D who looked at it suggested I go to the emergency room. I did and have the paperwork to support my claims. I put supporting paperwork on my re-eval and had my physical this past with QTC this past Thursday. My question is since I submitted for a re-eval will my original "x" rating compensation start after the decision of my re-eval rating or am I supposed to do something to kick back on? I spoke with my case manager (she didn't know), my VSO manager (she didn't know) and have called a couple of different people (who don't seem interested in calling me back). Any thoughts ideas?
Old 24 April 2012, 14:15
Been There Done That

Gout and joint surgery

Question if anyone can answer...
I have gout, which has resulted in damage to my joint in the big toe. They are going to do a surgery to cut a section of the bone out and then screw the shortened bone back together..so that hopefully the joint isn't grinding on itself anymore. I tried deciphering the VA chart...but i couldn't really figure it all out. Anyone know if this is something i can get some sort of disability rating on? I know ill be taking meds for the gout for the rest of my life..and not too sure what my foot will be feeling like.

Thanks in advance
Old 24 April 2012, 14:43
Morte et une dame

Can you connect the Gout to an accident or operation that you had while on AD?
Remember; VA disability compensation is for Service Connected disabilities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Yoda View Post
Question if anyone can answer...
I have gout, which has resulted in damage to my joint in the big toe. They are going to do a surgery to cut a section of the bone out and then screw the shortened bone back together..so that hopefully the joint isn't grinding on itself anymore. I tried deciphering the VA chart...but i couldn't really figure it all out. Anyone know if this is something i can get some sort of disability rating on? I know ill be taking meds for the gout for the rest of my life..and not too sure what my foot will be feeling like.

Thanks in advance
Old 24 April 2012, 15:22
Been There Done That

Gout

Im not sure how exactly i would do that...though i never had problems until after my third deployment...think it really started bothering me after tons of rucking and some hard jump landings...any advice how they determine if it is service related?
Old 24 April 2012, 15:35
Morte et une dame

It is incumbent upon YOU to 'connect the dots'.

I had to 'wiki' gout to find causes of gout. There really can be a connection between gout and a specific injury or surgery to the foot.

With all due respect; if you are a Veteran, the VA will help to take care of you... it will cost. If you are a Service Connected Veteran, the VA will take a greater part in your help. If you have a 50% (?) or greater disability rating there will not be any cost. All this is terrific for us.

We all develop new conditions as we age; some are Service Connected and other are not. You can get compensation for Service Connected disabilities... but not for every other thing that pops up in your life... as distressing as it may be.

When you separated from AD, you should have had the opportunity to tell them, at that time, that you had an issue with your foot. If you did that, that may be all you need to 'connect the dots'.

Having said all that, I AM sorry for your troubles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Yoda View Post
Im not sure how exactly i would do that...though i never had problems until after my third deployment...think it really started bothering me after tons of rucking and some hard jump landings...any advice how they determine if it is service related?
Old 24 April 2012, 15:50
Been There Done That

Im seperating in October...just trying to get my ducks in a row beforehand..
Old 24 April 2012, 16:24
Morte et une dame

That's another matter, now.
When you separate from AD, it is incumbent upon YOU to tell the military all the injuries that you have suffered while in service. Not only what is ailing you at that moment, but all the 'indignities' that you suffered. These will be your fall-backs when looking for documentation to file for disabilities.
You should be asking your doctors if this gout could be connected to the work that you had to perform. (Get copies of everything!)
G'luck, mate.
Old 24 April 2012, 16:34
Been There Done That

Thanks for the advice!
Old 24 April 2012, 19:56
SOCNET Moderator

Make your own copies of your medical records. The Army "lost" mine for two years after I retired. I am now having to re-apply for claims that were initailly denied due to insufficient documentation.

The 4 Soldierly Values: Candor, Courage, Competence, Commitment

Ekky Ekky Ekky Ekky p-Tang Zoo Boing mumble, mumble

Our new posting rules