Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Naval Special Warfare > Naval Special Warfare Recruitment and Prep

Old 27 February 2012, 15:01
Underwater Devil Doc

Navy Diver Program and Getting a Second Shot

I have tried searching for this topic but I am only getting limited results (not sure if it is due to the new forum look that we have now) and none of them speak to my particular situation. My apologies if my google-fu is weak and the answer is already out there.

I am in my Junior year of college at the University of Florida and I am considering my options for once I graduate. One option is to re-enlist or commission (a commissioning would be preferred) into the Navy to become a Navy Diver. However, when I first enlisted into the Navy, I was under an EOD contract. I graduated from the Dive School phase at NDSTC but rolled out of EOD School due to test failure during Air Phase back in 2005. Since I was a Corpsman, I selected to go green and serve as a FMF Line Corpsman (which I did happily for the remainder of my military enlistment until 2011). After talking to a recruiter recently, I was told that I would not get a 'second chance' because 'the Navy is too competitive'- despite being told by the instructing staff in 2005 that I could always come back when I was ready (I guess times change). I am bit confused by this since I am looking to becoming a Navy Diver and not an EOD Tech- so why is this considered a second chance? I rated wearing the EOD SCUBA Badge (as a graduate of NDSTC), so I am a bit confused on where I fall on this issue and could really use some clarification. Is there any way for me to pursue a career as a Navy Diver or should I consider the Dive programs offered by the other branches of the military?
Old 27 February 2012, 15:43
Confirmed User

There are no more Diving Officers in the Navy, only EOD Officers. That limits your choices somewhat.

1140 (EOD Officer) is extremely competetive so the odds of a prior Air failure getting a shot are slim to none however don't take my word for it.

Sounds like enlisting on a Navy Diver contract is your best (maybe only) option.

Talk to an NSW/NSO recruiter.
Old 27 February 2012, 18:16
Underwater Devil Doc

The recruiter made it sound like an enlistment contract wasn't possible either (as I would be interested in a Warrant Officer route). I'll definitely contact a NSW/NSO recruiter and get the information from the horse's mouth.
Old 27 February 2012, 21:08
Confirmed User

In the Navy, you have to be a CPO to go warrant with the exception of the new Warrant Pilot/NFO community. Either way you have to be currently serving in that community to apply.

JW might be more helpful here. He is an NSW/NSO recruiter I believe. He will have the latest gouge.
Old 28 February 2012, 00:22
Code name Dummy

I was talking to my buddy who is a recruiter and he stated due to downsizing, the Navy is not taking any prior service at this time. He stated that even a prior service SEAL would have difficulty. His words not mine.
Old 28 February 2012, 02:38
True Origin Not Known

Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Knight View Post
I was talking to my buddy who is a recruiter and he stated due to downsizing, the Navy is not taking any prior service at this time. He stated that even a prior service SEAL would have difficulty. His words not mine.
That's just fucking stoooopid. Sometimes, reading these boards, I wonder what if . . . then I see this TOTAL BULLSHIT and I understand.

Are you fucking serious? That's the most ridiculous thing I've heard all week...and I'm at a senior staff planning conference, so, the bar has been set pretty high. You should be proud. - Gavin
Old 28 February 2012, 07:42
EOD Mod

OSVETs: Current policy is you have to have a background in the respective field to look at entry into the specific NSO/NSW program you are looking at. IE:To look at an SO contract you would need to have a background in SOCOM. To apply for Navy EOD you would need a background in another service EOD program.

NAVETs: You have to have been prior to get in right now.

Right now, the Navy is hitting it's mark on recruiting goals. My opinion is we're losing a lot of talent to the new policy. I was an OSVET. Unfortunately, it is what it is.

If you have more questions, I'll answer them as I can.
Old 28 February 2012, 09:14
Underwater Devil Doc

Thank you for the responses. I'll continue my hunt on the Navy side in hopes of finding someone in the right place that I could impress for some wiggle-room. However, the more I look, the more it seems that an Army dive program may be the answer. As long as I am able to get my feet wet for Uncle Sam again, I'll be more than happy!
Old 28 February 2012, 15:31
EOD Mod

N2, that might be you best and only option.
Old 28 February 2012, 16:16
Code name Dummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington Raider View Post
That's just fucking stoooopid. Sometimes, reading these boards, I wonder what if . . . then I see this TOTAL BULLSHIT and I understand.
Not sure what you are referring to my post or the situation. If it's my post I can elaborate. If it is the situation, I completely agree. Makes no sense.

The source came from a Senior Chief who is in charge of a very large recruiting district. We served together for 5 years and I was looking for help in getting an unrelated friend back in the Navy.

The earlier statement could have been an exaggeration on his part; I honestly don't know.

My point in posting was to let n2narkosis know that getting back in may be very difficult.

Last edited by Black Knight; 28 February 2012 at 16:40.
Old 28 February 2012, 16:55
Confirmed User

One difference between 2005 and now is the needs of the Military.
Not agreeing or disagreeing.

Talk to Recruiters and see what is available.
Very possible you will need to step outside the field you want just to
Enlist.

As previously stated , you may have better success with one branch than another.

Good luck in your search -keep us posted
Old 28 February 2012, 17:42
Underwater Devil Doc

Getting back into the Navy seems doable. However, getting back into a diving billet appears to be a 'No Go'. So, enlisting outside of my preferred field doesn't seem beneficial (since it doesn't sound like I would be allowed back into the diving community anyways). I am now in the process of talking to the National Guard to see if they can offer a diving billet while I finish up my schooling here in Florida and then try to go active afterwards.
Old 28 February 2012, 19:07
Authorized Personnel

I have a buddy down where you are who is a current Navy Diver. I'll get his e-mail to you if you want it.
"“Since mankind's dawn, a handful of oppressors have accepted the responsibility over our lives that we should have accepted for ourselves. By doing so, they took our power. By doing nothing, we gave it away. We've seen where their way leads, through camps and wars, towards the slaughterhouse.” ."
Old 28 February 2012, 19:14
Been There Done That

Sometimes you unknowingly only get one shot. Treat every opportunity as if it will never come back around again.

I learned this very young...the hard way. Never had to re-learn it.

God made machine language; all the rest is the work of man.
Old 28 February 2012, 20:37
True Origin Not Known

Just to be clear on what I met

after reading the discussion between two SEALs about NSW's adjustments to get numbers up I just thought it was incredible that a real deal prior service SEAL would have any trouble getting back in. BUT, it IS the gubmint, after all.

and I can't edit the title, but I know it's "meant". Cept down south.

Are you fucking serious? That's the most ridiculous thing I've heard all week...and I'm at a senior staff planning conference, so, the bar has been set pretty high. You should be proud. - Gavin

Last edited by Remington Raider; 28 February 2012 at 20:38. Reason: typo
Old 29 February 2012, 00:08
Underwater Devil Doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidA View Post
I have a buddy down where you are who is a current Navy Diver. I'll get his e-mail to you if you want it.
If you think he could help, that would be great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighDragLowSpeed View Post
Sometimes you unknowingly only get one shot. Treat every opportunity as if it will never come back around again.

I learned this very young...the hard way. Never had to re-learn it.
Yep. Exactly how I feel. I was young (only 18 I believe) and not as focused as I should have been. Had to spend some time in the Fleet and overseas to grow up a bit.
Old 15 April 2012, 04:21

Another angle you might explore is the reserve NEDU at NS Great Lakes. I did some work with them yesterday and they indicated they had enlisted slots. If you're interested, you can PM me and I'll try to hook you up with one of the unit's senior enlisted. They should be able give you the good gouge.

Our new posting rules