Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Army Special Operations > Special Forces

Old 28 February 2012, 18:15
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by JABA View Post
I was an SF "Baby" back in '80 and graduated the "Q" in '81. I had just turned 19 when I graduated. A lot of my classmates who were "older and wiser" weren't at the graduation because their old asses couldn't hack it. It depends on the individual. The instructors will take care of the weed eating!!! I saw a lot of fucking "men" break down and cry like babies...sneak out of the hooch in the middle of the night to quit at the Head Shed, only to be introduced to the class the next morning before their asses were put on a bus back to Bragg.
Holy BattBoy from Hell Balls.....10 year anniversary thread resurrect?????

Awesome answer JABA...and I sincerely mean it....as your statement holds true through this day.

~D-6606~
Old 28 February 2012, 18:27
Retired Paratrooper, 1 ea

Holy really old thread Batman!
Old 28 February 2012, 18:32
Cry havoc

LOL, the good ole days.

Two eyes from the east.
Old 28 February 2012, 18:38
Been There Done That

Damn.

Damn, here I was thinking I was doing good making PFC the same day I was handed orders giving me my "S" and sending me to 5th Group.

It all depends on the individual.

As was stated earlier on this thread - the barracks rats of the 5th and 7th in the late 70's were an interesting crew.

When the barracks rats from 5th Group moved over to the COSCOM area around 1976 there was about 12 rats per line company (Avg 2 per team). Each Company had a floor in the open bay wood barracks and it was full with new PFCs through no time and grade SSGs.
Old 28 February 2012, 19:01
Confirmed User

[QUOTE=RB;1058109261]Holy BattBoy from Hell Balls.....10 year anniversary thread resurrect?????

LOL...I know that the damn thread is old, but the more I read it, the more it pissed me off since I was an "old school 18X"...couldn't resist...just started typing and venting...I admit I was pup and not only in training, but when I got to my Team, the old 'Nam Vets didn't hesitate to shut my ass down when I got stupid!!!! Notwithstanding, I did see a lot of "heros in their own minds" simply quit when the shit got real. I remember sitting in the recruiters office, watching videos of Jump School and SF Training, getting pumped up in my air-conditioned environs with a can of Dr. Pepper in my hand as the motivational speaker and music blared through the speakers. I also remember laying in a wet fucking lean-to with sleet hammering around me, trying to maintain my fire while on survival thinking "where in the hell is that music when I need it."

I apologize if I got on a soap box, but I knew a lot of guys who were "rock stars" in their other units break down and quit in the "Q" while a lot of "kids" right out of high school kicked ass and became contributing members of the SF community. I also saw a lot of older soldiers kick some ass as well and were tremendous mentors to my dumb ass. As stated, it all depends on the individual when the music stops.
Old 28 February 2012, 19:05
Been There Done That

Barracks rats

There was an 18C candidate that some of you know (graduated and went on 7th Group throughout the 90s including C/3/7) that would stack his paychecks in his wall locker.

To me, that was a true barracks rat.

God made machine language; all the rest is the work of man.
Old 2 March 2012, 23:25
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by JABA View Post
I was an SF "Baby" back in '80 and graduated the "Q" in '81. I had just turned 19 when I graduated. A lot of my classmates who were "older and wiser" weren't at the graduation because their old asses couldn't hack it. It depends on the individual. The instructors will take care of the weed eating!!! I saw a lot of fucking "men" break down and cry like babies...sneak out of the hooch in the middle of the night to quit at the Head Shed, only to be introduced to the class the next morning before their asses were put on a bus back to Bragg.
WoW! Just.....Wow! I went through at the ripe old age of 30 and 10 years TIS under my belt back in '87/88. It didn't hurt...much.

I have had a lot of experience with SF baby's on teams though, none of it was good.
Old 3 March 2012, 22:50
Confirmed User

Let's see; went through the Q in '84 and if I remember correctly, the Army was opening SF up to first timers because they were trying to re-activate 1st SFG(A) at Ft. Lewis, WA.

I had one enlistment under my belt as a leg so at least I brang a little experience with me. The guys that came right off the street? I remember that there was a minority who did quite well and a majority that did terribly. I guess it kind of depended on the maturity and motivation of the individual.

I only regret that I didn't make SF a career. It's something that has no counterpart in the civilian world.
Old 4 March 2012, 01:20
BTDT

Allright g.dammit, lets hear some stories about annex 11! That's where they separated the men from the boys! The MILF's that is.
Old 5 March 2012, 22:32
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by colmurph View Post
Allright g.dammit, lets hear some stories about annex 11! That's where they separated the men from the boys! The MILF's that is.
Annex 11?
Old 6 March 2012, 06:07
Been There Done That

Lunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford289HiPo View Post
Annex 11?
Back in the day you could go to the local annex and watch an "exotic" dancer and have a few beers for lunch.

They were numbered and scattered all over post.

They died out as "no drinking during lunch" became more and more popular.

When the Yntema Club first opened on Smoke Bomb Hill it had dancers at lunch, cold beer and a short order grill that included gizzards.
Old 6 March 2012, 06:17
Been There Done That

Ended in the mid 80's, I think. I wonder whos wife squashed that.
Old 6 March 2012, 10:02
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford289HiPo View Post
Annex 11?
Annex 11 was an NCO club annex on the north side of Bragg Bulevard back in the 60's, A lot of ossifers wives used to go there when their husbands were deployed. There was also the 82d Officers club which was next to Womack Hospital near the old "Dog Lab". Nco's wives and wives from Pope would hang out there on Friday nights. Both places were meat markets.
Old 6 March 2012, 10:07
Cry havoc

Quote:
Annex 11 was an NCO club annex on the north side of Bragg Bulevard back in the 60's, A lot of ossifers wives used to go there when their husbands were deployed. There was also the 82d Officers club which was next to Womack Hospital near the old "Dog Lab". Nco's wives and wives from Pope would hang out there on Friday nights. Both places were meat markets.
I didn't realize until I was divorced, how fucked up the meat market was.... I'm out one night with the guys and said, "Where'd all these damn women come from?".... the response was simple, " Unit XYZ was deployed...." And yes they were all looking to fuck. I was amazed, yet another layer of naivete gone forever!

It was less noticeable at Hunter due to the proximity of Savannah and many bars, but holy shit, down at Stewart where there was only one...maybe 1.5 bars... it stood out like a two boys fucking on the White House lawn.

Two eyes from the east.
Old 6 March 2012, 14:50
Confirmed User

Yep being a young buck in the Army, you can lose faith in the 'fairer' sex quite quickly. I was on Rear D when I got out celebrating my new freedom by getting drunk downtown about every night. One night some chick comes up and wants to give me her number. She looks vaguely familiar, but downtown Savannah is small and you see the same faces all the time. As I put her number in I ask for her name. Well let's just say she looked familiar for a reason and her last name was real fucking familiar.
Old 6 March 2012, 14:59
Cry havoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian1/75 View Post
Yep being a young buck in the Army, you can lose faith in the 'fairer' sex quite quickly. I was on Rear D when I got out celebrating my new freedom by getting drunk downtown about every night. One night some chick comes up and wants to give me her number. She looks vaguely familiar, but downtown Savannah is small and you see the same faces all the time. As I put her number in I ask for her name. Well let's just say she looked familiar for a reason and her last name was real fucking familiar.
I had the same happen to me, except I was on CQ and there was absolutely no mistaking her, or her intent.

Two eyes from the east.
Old 6 March 2012, 22:42
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKAPete View Post
Back in the day you could go to the local annex and watch an "exotic" dancer and have a few beers for lunch.

They were numbered and scattered all over post.

They died out as "no drinking during lunch" became more and more popular.

When the Yntema Club first opened on Smoke Bomb Hill it had dancers at lunch, cold beer and a short order grill that included gizzards.
OK, got it. That sounds like the bowling alley at Ft Polk circa 1977 or the NCO club at Ft Dix.
Old 7 March 2012, 11:19
Confirmed User

Quote:
The Airborne (O'club) Annex was just like you described in 71. Also, not the place for a leg (although soon to become airborne) 2LT. Just took once to learn. Things went better when I returned after jump school but not much with a "Circle A - Gene Autry Ranch" patch on.

Also, Willie's Bar at the Bragg O'club was a place for Pope wives and the Pope O'club was a place for Bragg wives.
Old 7 March 2012, 12:11
Been There Done That

Speaking of how things have changed, does anybody here remember back in the 80's the name of the bar in the basement of the O Club at Ft Benning that would bring in the topless dancers...although they covered their nipples with band aid strips. I spent many, many drunken nights and $ bills there as a young 2Lt. It is amazing how things/times have changed. Does VD Drive still have all those topless bars and Ranger Joe like stores there?
Old 7 March 2012, 14:35
Sub Rosa

[QUOTE=base7;1058113064]Speaking of how things have changed, does anybody here remember back in the 80's the name of the bar in the basement of the O Club at Ft Benning that would bring in the topless dancers...although they covered their nipples with band aid strips. I spent many, many drunken nights and $ bills there as a young 2Lt. QUOTE]

I remember a very similar or same place in Nov 1982... I had to detail a fireteam to hold a cab driver against his will while I went back into the breach to get one of our guys away from a near ambush executed by one of those strippers. "No Man Left Behind." We eventually, with all accounted for, exfiled back to our company area in the detained cab and arrived as the company was getting formed up. The cab driver parked right in front of the formation and we exited that station wagon in record time for drunk fools and ran/stumbled for the ranks.....

Our new posting rules