Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Army Special Operations > ARSOF Recruitment and Prep

Old 7 October 2009, 11:38
BTDT

Tryouts for California National Guard Special Forces

A/5/19th is having their tryouts at two separate locations on 21 Nov 09. One location will be in the Bay Area and the other in Southern California. This is only open to male servicemen or male civilians.

If you are not currently in any branch of service, you will be required to sign a waiver prior to conducting any training at the SFRE.

Uniform for the first formation is in PT's. Army Physical Fitness Uniform if you have one, civilian running gear if you are coming from another service. Leave your two sets of uniforms and boots, your ruck and your paperwork in your vehicle.

The first event starts immediately after formation; do not be late to the formation; if you are not present in formation at 0600, you will not be participating in the SFRE that day. The next one is in six months.

The first event is the Army Physical Fitness Test (APFT). You must score 80 points in each category for your age group.

The second event is a 50 meter swim test in uniform and boots. Any stroke is authorized, there is no time limit, you must complete 50 meters without touching the side or bottom of the pool.

The third event is a ruck march, (in a dry uniform and boots) with a 55lb pack. Dry weight, before you add your water. You will not be required to carry an LBV. A Camelbak or similar hydration system is highly recommended, as it will save you time and effort throughout the road march compared to carrying canteens in an LBV.

If you do not have a ruck, MOLLE, ALICE Pack or other at all, one can be provided if you coordinate with us prior to the date of the event. (You'll be better off using the one you have been training with).

The course will be marked, the distance will not be given. You must maintain a sub-15 minute/mile pace to meet the standard.There will be several points with water available.

If you are successful with all three events, we will start the process to enlist/transfer you into the company to attend SFAS/SFQC.

If serious about attending, send me a PM for specific information.
Old 7 October 2009, 13:03
Marketing Tool

Interesting...

...kind'a, sort'a reminds me of old 21 & 23 SAS front end process. In a kind'a, sort'a way. Good Hunting.
Old 8 October 2009, 02:34
Whatever Sucks the Most

Pretty cool way to get guys directly into the pipeline!
Old 10 October 2009, 06:49
ORP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abu Khalil View Post
...kind'a, sort'a reminds me of old 21 & 23 SAS front end process.
That's exactly what I was thinking.

18C4V, you should post a minimum and maximum age allowed to try out (if you have it).
Old 10 October 2009, 12:45
In Vino Veritas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk View Post

18C4V, you should post a minimum and maximum age allowed to try out (if you have it).
Right now you have to be prior service or current NG, so that narrows down the lower age. As for max, IIRC you can subtract (add really) your AD time from the max age, thus giving you a higher age requirement. A guy on my team is 45, he's been in the unit for at least 3 years, so I know your good at least a little over 40.
But wherever I have gone, I was sure to find myself there, You can run all your life, But not go anywhere
Old 11 October 2009, 01:30
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk View Post

Kirk, I dont have it, but I'll check.
Old 11 October 2009, 01:34
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangers snaplink View Post
Right now you have to be prior service or current NG, so that narrows down the lower age. As for max, IIRC you can subtract (add really) your AD time from the max age, thus giving you a higher age requirement. A guy on my team is 45, he's been in the unit for at least 3 years, so I know your good at least a little over 40.

You going to go? I know where you're going, but you'll be back in time I'll be there, I'll tell some promotion and MFF school slot stories.
Old 12 October 2009, 13:04
In Vino Veritas

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18C4V View Post
You going to go? I know where you're going, but you'll be back in time I'll be there, I'll tell some promotion and MFF school slot stories.
Ya, I figure I can stop by and then you can pin me real quick as you shove me out the door to MFF I would like to get some of that GRAP money
But wherever I have gone, I was sure to find myself there, You can run all your life, But not go anywhere
Old 8 March 2012, 19:41

Exclamation When and Where's the next Tryout's?

Hi my name's Sgt MOD DELETE PII, currently in the U.S. Army Reserve's (prior service Active duty- 5 yrs as an 11b),If an yone has more information, please feel me in.
Want to sign up for the next tryout's i believe is 3 day's and called " the rodeo"?

Last edited by magician; 11 March 2012 at 00:46.
Old 8 March 2012, 22:01
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtinfantry619 View Post
Hi my name's Sgt MOD DELETE PII, currently in the U.S. Army Reserve's (prior service Active duty- 5 yrs as an 11b),If an yone has more information, please feel me in.
Want to sign up for the next tryout's i believe is 3 day's and called " the rodeo"?
Sgt......please follow instructions in your conformation email and post your introduction before posting again. Thank you.

Last edited by magician; 11 March 2012 at 00:47.
Old 10 March 2012, 12:58
Confirmed User

I'd like some more information on this Unit. My background, I was active duty USMC from 93-97, Infantry MOS. I've kept in top shape since I got out, and regulary run 6-15 miles almost daily. I could still max a USMC PFT if I had to.
"See now that I, even I, am he, and there is no god with me: I kill, and I make alive; I wound, and I heal: neither is there any that can deliver out of my hand. For I lift up my hand to heaven, and say, I live for ever. If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me. I will make mine arrows drunk with blood, and my sword shall devour flesh; and that with the blood of the slain and of the captives, form the beginning of revenge upon the enemy..." -Deuteronomy 32: 39-42
Old 10 March 2012, 13:56
In Vino Veritas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_L View Post
I'd like some more information on this Unit. My background, I was active duty USMC from 93-97, Infantry MOS. I've kept in top shape since I got out, and regulary run 6-15 miles almost daily. I could still max a USMC PFT if I had to.
I am in this unit. The incoming SGM is a member here as well I don't want to be a Debbie Downer but IMO it is not looking good for you for the following reasons,
1. The unit is over strengthed. With the guys coming out of the pipeline and current members there is not enough equipment to go around.
2. Guys are not leaving the unit. We are getting guys off AD SF all the time. If it is between sending you or taking a guy from the CIF, well....
3. The CO just gave up two line and paragraphs to get two guys in the unit. I cannot remember the last time they let guys in.
4. Non-Quals are a resource hog. With the amount of time and money it takes to send you to the Q it would be better spent on the teams. I know for a fact the in coming SGM is of this opinion.
5. The state is shutting down pre-req courses. Last time I talked to the schools guy the state was shutting down BAS. Things might be different now or for that unit specifically however.
6. Thanks for your service to our country but it is dated....like way out dated. You have guys with plenty more experience that want to get in the unit. That is my opinion, the SGM and CO might see differently though.

The fact of the matter is that ship has sailed. I went to the Q at just the right time but missed deployments, which is why I reenlisted, so I know kind of how you feel. You can try another state and commute if your hard-on is that big for it. I'd say wait a few years for the draw down to happen and for guys to leave, but judging by your years in the Marines you're going to be a tad bit on the old side. Again that is my opinion and worth what you paid for it.
Old 5 April 2012, 04:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_L View Post
Chris_L, Hot Mess nailed it on the head. I was getting myself ready to attend the SFRE for the socal based unit back in November but it got cancelled because of budget cuts and there wasn't an overwhelming interest for people to show up. I called again a few weeks ago, and was told there wouldn't be another SFRE for a very long time (no evals in the next year). I spoke with an officer in charge of recruiting for the NG SF unit in Texas around October of 2011, and I was told they were looking to fill quite a few spots for non quals. You may want to give them a call. The NG website lists all the SF units, and you can google a specific unit to get their home page (some aren't listed) for contact info.

It bummed me out because I was on post deployment leave for the last SFRE they held, and had I called a week earlier, I may have been able to at least attend; however, my PT would have been very lack luster. Don't wait around like I did.

Good luck.

Our new posting rules