Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Areas of Expertise > Technology and Communications

Old 16 March 2012, 17:58
Been There Done That

I hear ya man, I do all that crap too. I have unlimited data plan 4G service so my TOTAL monthly cost for all home media, internet and phone, 130.00. I do rent something off itunes from time to time so maybe about 150 out the door.

I drop my phone into tether when I get home and it powers the network at about 46Mbps, Macbook, appleTV, ipad touch, XP/Linux box, and soon...

IPad for media only.

These guys were in line, next week maybe.

"It is my first iPad, so I am kind of looking forward to all of it. But the display was enough to convince me to buy one," said Mike Lee, who had decided to get the 64GB Wi-Fi version after hearing that applications would be bigger because of the increased resolution.

Last edited by Xdeth; 16 March 2012 at 18:07.
Old 16 March 2012, 18:18
Cry havoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xdeth View Post
I hear ya man, I do all that crap too. I have unlimited data plan 4G service so my TOTAL monthly cost for all home media, internet and phone, 130.00. I do rent something off itunes from time to time so maybe about 150 out the door.

I drop my phone into tether when I get home and it powers the network at about 46Mbps, Macbook, appleTV, ipad touch, XP/Linux box, and soon...

IPad for media only.

These guys were in line, next week maybe.

"It is my first iPad, so I am kind of looking forward to all of it. But the display was enough to convince me to buy one," said Mike Lee, who had decided to get the 64GB Wi-Fi version after hearing that applications would be bigger because of the increased resolution.

WOW, 4G is giving you 46Mbps? Only Verizon has 4G at this point right? I need to research this.

So I could literally kill 100% all shit coming from my local cable provider... and only have a cell phone bill!?

I have unlimited on my cell as well and I tether all the time, but I hadn't thought about basically running the house off of it. I should be able to do use AppleTV via the tether, right? hmmm need to test this.

That's like a trifecta of awesome right there and if fucking cable company's don't "get it" they're fucked.

It's especially nice since my entire phone cell phone bill right now is 150/month AND I can expense 150$/month of my cell phone to my employer.

edit - meant to mention the hdmi to rgb cable did not seem to work, but it could very well be my incompetence as I am hardly the 'AV jock'.

Two eyes from the east.
Old 20 March 2012, 13:28
Cry havoc

Well they came and took my old modem out of the house and switched it for a 'internet' only modem. Therefore the home phone is officially dead, but I still have some cable TV. It would appear that they aren't filtering as good as they think they are... I'm sure this will change over the next few days, but I currently still have channels 2-74 which includes a number of shows that go beyond basic cable...

Interesting. I thought for sure when they switched out the modem I would lose all cable tv.

Two eyes from the east.
Old 21 March 2012, 17:12
sterious scizor

I use to have unlimited data for my iphone (not 4G though) and AT&T decided I was somehow within their top tier data users. This is bogus as the most I've used was 3GB in a month...and seeing as my plan is "unlimited" I figured I was good to go. Now I get throttled whenever I go over 2GB in a month, meaning I'm paying for unlimited but only getting their 2GB plan.

Anyhow, I'm not sure I'd like running my home network on mobile only...interesting idea though.
Old 22 March 2012, 10:22
BTDT

A guy in CA sued AT&T in small claims court, and won, over the throttling of Unlimited plan users.

Cable companies have to send the major OTA networks in HD (ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, CW, MY, and PBS) in the clear, over even an internet only connection (Clear QAM). What other channels are you seeing?

HDMI to RGB? You mean Component or DB15 (standard blue monitor connector)? You may be seeing HDCP (High Definition Content Protection) in action. DVI will work, but not analog. You can look at an HDFury to strip it if you want (another worthless MPAA technology that was defeated before it was even out a year... a' la' AACS on Blu-ray).

P
Old 22 March 2012, 13:47
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by universible View Post
Anyhow, I'm not sure I'd like running my home network on mobile only...interesting idea though.
Was thinking the same thing. It's not worth it - yet.

For now I'd go with a fast cable connection. That should do it. Anything better than that and you're streaming HD from the moment you hit play.
Old 23 March 2012, 13:34
Been There Done That

wow, 3GB is just over what most standard plans are. When you say "throttled" how do you mean?

My data usage last month was pretty high, 116GB. Typically I'm around 50GB. It's not hard to do with speeds this high and now you see what the providers are banking on with all these new devices.

Invest, heavily. I don't see any real backlash currently, people obviously pay for it. If I didn't have unlimited I'd have nothing, which I'm sure will be the case one day.
Old 23 March 2012, 14:05
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeC2W View Post
WOW, 4G is giving you 46Mbps? Only Verizon has 4G at this point right? I need to research this.

Even better sometimes, but lately it seems to have settled around ~10Mbps.
Attached Images
File Type: png 93701661.png (22.9 KB, 115 views)
Old 23 March 2012, 14:59
Cry havoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polypro View Post

Cable companies have to send the major OTA networks in HD (ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, CW, MY, and PBS) in the clear, over even an internet only connection (Clear QAM). What other channels are you seeing?

P
With this being the case, I have absolutely NO idea why anyone would pay for cable - no idea.

I get all the major networks, and all the channels that are in HD now. Which includes, History, Discovery, FNC, CNN, Comedy, etc... The only thing I no longer get is the military channel and to be honest I almost never watched it. You throw in those channels and everything on Netflix and it's more programming than I've ever had before...

All I have to do is plug the cable into the tv, no box and WaLA.

Yesterday evening the boys and I watched the Avengers cartoon.... it was awesome.

Two eyes from the east.
Old 23 March 2012, 17:59
BTDT

The problem is, you can't count on anything but the major networks staying in the clear. They can flip a switch and activate 5C Encryption on those other ones at any time...which would then require a box or CableCard.

P
Old 24 March 2012, 08:08
Cry havoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polypro View Post
The problem is, you can't count on anything but the major networks staying in the clear. They can flip a switch and activate 5C Encryption on those other ones at any time...which would then require a box or CableCard.

P
True, but I can live without AND those other ones will get on the streaming band wagon soon enough if they haven't already.

Cable/networks will try to control this but they can't. At least not at first, which is why we are seeing FREE apps and programming from ABC, NBC, etc... All they can try to do is lock it up, but eventually you get someone like Hulu, Netflix or even apple who is interested in reaching billions via mobile devices... U can't stop it. There's also google tv for you android pussys.

Two eyes from the east.
Old 24 March 2012, 08:46
Cry havoc

I've been researching jail breaking benefits, I honestly don't see the value. Outside of some presumed cool guy nerd factor... Am I missing something here?

Two eyes from the east.
Old 24 March 2012, 10:52
Been There Done That

Quote:
I've been researching jail breaking benefits, I honestly don't see the value. Outside of some presumed cool guy nerd factor... Am I missing something here?
Considering that the JB is free and you're getting access to extra content, I'd say it's definitely valuable!

Check out these videos.

How to Watch Live ESPN3, Amazon VOD, and More on a Jailbroken Apple TV With XBMC & PlayOn

And here is a step by step guide to everything you need to do in order to JB, download content, configure it and exploit the system as far as you can at this point.

How to Jailbreak AppleTV, install NitoTV and Xbox Media Center and Stream Movies from PC or Mac

and last but not least the guide on how to install PlayON on your Mac.

Installation Guide - PlayON

Last edited by MixedLoad; 24 March 2012 at 10:56. Reason: ETA PO
Old 24 March 2012, 11:48
sterious scizor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xdeth View Post
wow, 3GB is just over what most standard plans are. When you say "throttled" how do you mean?

My data usage last month was pretty high, 116GB. Typically I'm around 50GB. It's not hard to do with speeds this high and now you see what the providers are banking on with all these new devices.

Invest, heavily. I don't see any real backlash currently, people obviously pay for it. If I didn't have unlimited I'd have nothing, which I'm sure will be the case one day.
Yeah I was pretty ticked when I started getting the throttling warnings from AT&T. I had dealt with them before when they were trying to force unlimited plan members to their fixed limit plans. They said I had been tethering my phone without a tethering plan, but they couldn't tell me when or how they knew. I stuck to my guns and told them I hadn't been. Something must have changed because they never moved my plan. Then this throttling BS started.

Apparently they are looking at data usage for specific areas and they think my data usage in my area is too high. I live in the sf bay area...the most I've ever used is 8gb one month. I can't imagine I'm a bandwidth hog at this point.

As for throttling, I think I only experienced it once. I has gotten the nasty gram text saying I was in the top user category again for the month and would be throttled. I was on the road for work...was trying to look something up in Maps and it just wouldnt load. It was like I was on dial up or something.
Old 24 March 2012, 12:11
Ne Obliviscaris

The carrier's here in Europe are assholes too. I pay €50 a month for unlimited minutes to all my contacts' who use the same carrier, a certain amount of minutes to other contacts' carriers' numbers, some overseas minutes and 2G's of internet. I learned the hard way to turn the Cellular Data off when I received a bill for €498 one month. My carrier (vodafone) said I left something open and running and didn't close it. After 2G's, its €0.10 per MB. I keep that shit turned off now and only switch it on when I need to.
Old 24 March 2012, 15:37
Cry havoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixedLoad View Post
Considering that the JB is free and you're getting access to extra content, I'd say it's definitely valuable!

Check out these videos.

How to Watch Live ESPN3, Amazon VOD, and More on a Jailbroken Apple TV With XBMC & PlayOn

And here is a step by step guide to everything you need to do in order to JB, download content, configure it and exploit the system as far as you can at this point.

How to Jailbreak AppleTV, install NitoTV and Xbox Media Center and Stream Movies from PC or Mac

Alright some of that looks pretty cool. Although with the mirroring abilities of my iPad 2...I can stream anything that is on it to the tv...

Two eyes from the east.
Old 24 March 2012, 15:44
BTDT

The small claims case:

http://www.techdirt.com/blog/?tag=matt+spaccarelli

P
Old 24 March 2012, 16:30
Cry havoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixedLoad View Post

Check out these videos.

Am I understanding it correctly that if I have play-on, I can stream live FNC? ESPN? For no cost other than play-on? I could see where that would be a very nice benefit....

Two eyes from the east.
Old 24 March 2012, 18:47
Confirmed User

Just did the iPhone IOS 5.1 update and my phone went from 3G to 4G??? I have AT&T and iPhone 4s.
Old 25 March 2012, 04:51
Been There Done That

Quote:
Am I understanding it correctly that if I have play-on, I can stream live FNC? ESPN? For no cost other than play-on? I could see where that would be a very nice benefit....
Yes.

And you don't need parallels if you're using a Mac. You can run it off of Bootcamp, which is a native OS X application on your system.

If you have a Windoze, no need to even worry about anything other than hitting .exe

Our new posting rules