Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Naval Special Warfare > Special Warfare Combatant-Craft Crewmen (SWCC)

Old 14 March 2012, 09:43
Confirmed User

To clarify what I said. On patrol I carried a M-79.

Must remind myself to pay attention to detail
Old 14 March 2012, 13:38
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvlr23 View Post
What I remember most about the Honeywell is that it was a reuseable belt ( heavy cloth ) fed granade launcher. After we had gone through a belt we would remove the the brass and insert fresh rounds.

I believe the round had to travel 40 feet before it became armed.
As a side note, when I was a advisor on the Viet. boats I always made sure I had several rounds of CS. If we popped a bush they were the first rounds out of the tube followed by HE
If I recall correctly from my 0331 days, 36-42 revolutions, which translated into approx 40-50ft. I still have my SOI book Ill look. I could Google it, but I feel like goinig ol'school.
Old 16 March 2012, 12:19
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Pig View Post
If I recall correctly from my 0331 days, 36-42 revolutions, which translated into approx 40-50ft. I still have my SOI book Ill look. I could Google it, but I feel like goinig ol'school.

The ol' book says 18-36 meters. However as we all know, it has nothing to do with the "distance" per se, its the number of revolutions that arm it which takes about 18-36 meters to accomplish. I couldnt find it in the book, but I know approximately 40 revolutions was the number I had committed to memory.
Old 17 March 2012, 09:31
Confirmed User

Well, at least the number 40 was correct. Thanks for checking it out and getting me squared away.

tvlr........
Old 11 June 2012, 11:21

Used them alot on the rhibs both at SCI and Cherry Point. I personally hated them. Excellent presence but they were a pain to reload and from what I remeber, jammed about as much as the 50's.
Old 11 June 2012, 13:55
Going cyclic!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoatGuy48 View Post
Used them alot on the rhibs both at SCI and Cherry Point. I personally hated them. Excellent presence but they were a pain to reload and from what I remeber, jammed about as much as the 50's.
I always found that they jammed, when the belt was held lower than the feed tray. eg: the ammo box was on the deck, the weight of the rounds trying to be dragged up into the feed tray caused jamming at times. I never had an issue if I used the ammo box holder that attached to the tripod(the name of it escapes me right now)
Old 12 June 2012, 10:59

Well you just refreshed my memory as to another reason why I hated them.... Reloading the ammo can sucked! I always had a hard time getting that pin through can and the mount. I may be off on the name but the ammo can mount didnt attach to the tripod its self but to the weapons mount, the mk 99.
Old 12 June 2012, 14:16
Going cyclic!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoatGuy48 View Post
Well you just refreshed my memory as to another reason why I hated them.... Reloading the ammo can sucked! I always had a hard time getting that pin through can and the mount. I may be off on the name but the ammo can mount didnt attach to the tripod its self but to the weapons mount, the mk 99.
Yep, that's it. You're right about it sucking getting it on. Trying to hold up the full box of ammo, just right, so the stupid pin could slide through sucked,lol

Our new posting rules