Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Marine Corps Special Operations > MEU(SOC)

Closed Thread

Old 1 April 2010, 20:43
The Artist Formerly Known as PinoyIslander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverbullet View Post
Unless something changed SOTG crses were listed on the DD214.

At one point they had lead agency's and were subj to HQMC course curriculum review boards.
I got out in 99 and my DD214 showed only the awards. I made a copy of my SRB and it listed Bridgeport and security element course.
Old 1 April 2010, 20:58
Confirmed User

I asked the question to SOCPAC why none of the schools (HRST,A/S,SERE Full-Spectrum,Bio-Data,ASO,etc...) Were on my DD-214.To my disappointment, I was told that only Formal Schools (Jump,Dive,SERE-C,BRC,Ranger) are on your DD-214. The rest are considered "local schools"and will only show on the education page on mol. Even courses taken at JSOU were not considered "formal". I was never an instructor at SOTG though, and I think their schools are more recognized especially by TECOM, then the ones at MSOS.
Old 6 April 2010, 17:41
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by STOIC1 View Post
I asked the question to SOCPAC why none of the schools (HRST,A/S,SERE Full-Spectrum,Bio-Data,ASO,etc...) Were on my DD-214.To my disappointment, I was told that only Formal Schools (Jump,Dive,SERE-C,BRC,Ranger) are on your DD-214. The rest are considered "local schools"and will only show on the education page on mol. Even courses taken at JSOU were not considered "formal". I was never an instructor at SOTG though, and I think their schools are more recognized especially by TECOM, then the ones at MSOS.

They are not. We produce the certificates locally, they are not considered "formal" and will not be on a DD-214.
Old 6 April 2010, 17:47
Administrator

Things change, I guess.

BTW, all certificates are produced locally by the training institution. That has nothing to do with formal school or not.
Old 6 April 2010, 22:03
BTDT

Quote:
Things change, I guess.

No joke. All my SOTG stuff is on my DD214.

Tax out

Pleasing everybody? Impossible. Pissing everybody off? Piece of cake.
Old 22 April 2010, 17:45
It wasn't me

My coxswain and assault climbers course is on my DD214 as well. Of course, last I heard the Zodiacs and the Boston Whalers are no more in terms of TOE in the Fleet. Also, back in the late 80's none of the Bridgeport folks that I recall were Recons. The Coronado folks were a different story, though.
Old 22 April 2010, 19:02
Confirmed User

Quote:
Things change, I guess.

BTW, all certificates are produced locally by the training institution. That has nothing to do with formal school or not.
I believe it has to be recognized by TECOM. Course Codes identifiying approved POI's, funded by TECOM, school seats managed on MCTIMS. Im sure im missing other qualifiers as well.

Everything listed on mine has the codes,

I.E. Recruit Training (808) SSBC (81Z) WinterMLC (M7B) etc.

I could be way off base. I do remember the formal schools had the codes on certs identifying it to the POI, at least off the top of my head. Im pretty sure our local schools at Bridgeport had none, nor were the POI's approved at TECOM (Assault Climbers, SERE, Scout Skiers, etc.)

Anyone have any conflicting info? Not 100% on it.
Old 22 April 2010, 20:38
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip8541 View Post
I believe it has to be recognized by TECOM. Course Codes identifiying approved POI's, funded by TECOM, school seats managed on MCTIMS. Im sure im missing other qualifiers as well.

I could be way off base. I do remember the formal schools had the codes on certs identifying it to the POI, at least off the top of my head. Im pretty sure our local schools at Bridgeport had none, nor were the POI's approved at TECOM (Assault Climbers, SERE, Scout Skiers, etc.)

I was the lead agent for all CQB, etc...training for the Corps. All of the special mission branch courses were signed off by TECOM. I managed 5 separate POI's that constituted a 6 month training cycle to include all East Coast TRUE evolutions. I regularly coordinated and met with TECOM to update, review curriculum and fight for standards with people who worked there but had no idea what the training entailed.

I know up until 2000 SOTG courses were listed on the DD-214.

Things may have changed now but there was no question what was done before.
Old 23 April 2010, 02:58
Confirmed User

I would have to imagine it hasnt changed from 2000 SB. Its probably the same as you know it was then.

I wonder where the disconnect happened on the interpretation of what can and cant be entered on certain individuals 214's? Unit level?
Old 23 April 2010, 07:08
Administrator

Quote:
I wonder where the disconnect happened on the interpretation of what can and cant be entered on certain individuals 214's? Unit level?
That is what I was referring to. I'm just a retired dude. The guys now know what is correct and what isn't.

The branch I ran and it's training facility's are now part of MarSoc.
Old 23 April 2010, 15:42
Doc McNasty

It also depends on the person doing your DD214. When I did mine, I sat right next to the clerk who was typing it. He had my SRB open between us, and he asked me to identify the courses I wanted him to list on my 214. I also had a stack of "informal" diplomas (Like EMT Instructor) in a seperate folder, I'm talking about those little 1-10 day local courses that never make it into your service jacket...he entered them if I asked him to (Like the 1 day 1st Marine Division Laser Operator's Course) LOL I still remember the verbiage "near-IR incidental laser" from that one. And no, that's not on my 214.
Old 27 April 2010, 19:38
Confirmed User

This is correct. A code is needed for it to be a "formal" course. I believe the disconnect occured when the non-MSOB courses were briefly discontinued at SOTG. When we "turned back on" the R&S, Urban Sniper and CQB courses, there was no longer any oversight from TECOM. The POI's SB described still exist, but have not been reviewed or updated in many years. We used them as a basis for rebuilding these courses but current TTP's dictated that we make many changes, none of which were approved by TECOM. Now that we have also turned back on VBSS and soon GOPLATs, this is going to change. We are in the process of getting all the SOTG's back on the same sheet of music and producing POI's that are approved by TECOM once again.
Although I can't say for sure, the courses that were never dropped should still have codes (Assault Climbers, SERE, HRST, etc) and therefore should still show on the DD214.
I also had a similar experience to SARC88. The young admin clerk would have put whatever I told him to put on my DD214, as long as I had a Cert, but normally they take the info right from your schools page in the 3270, which will only show the coded, formal schools.

Quote:

Old 19 March 2012, 10:45
A-O River!

FWIW both of my SOTG courses are not shown on my DD-214, but then again none of my Div courses are shown either. According to my DD-214 I have no military education. Glad I kept all my certs.
My fault for sure,..It didn't seem important at the time.
Old 19 March 2012, 12:10
Teufel Hunden

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOTB View Post
Dude, you know the exact words to make some of us feel OLD....
Yep, nothing like taking a trip to the head, copping a squat on the thrown of kings and having the underside of your ball sack get wet
tenacious on defense. They've got really short hair and they
always go for the throat."

-------------
Closed Thread

Our new posting rules