Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge > Movies and TV

Old 16 March 2012, 21:56
I'm kind of a big deal

Red face 21 Jump Street

**Warning, there be spoilers here**

Ok, was DRAGGED to this tonight, kicking and screaming. Like some, I watched the show when I was younger and enjoyed it, and the thought of a comedy (like everything else that gets copied; IE: Starsky and Hutch, Wild Wild West *vomit*, The A-Team *wretch*) turned my stomach to no end.

It was not great. I did laugh in a few places, there are one or two scenes that actually make fun of movies that copy old shows "as if we don't remember them" (a line in the movie), but for the most part it was completely predictable, including cameos (like they all do), though some were competely out of the blue. I won't spoil that part.

If someone else is paying, go see it, there are some chuckles. Don't expect it to be ANYTHING like the TV show. AT ALL. ZILCH. Oh, but some folks actually die in it, which redeems the comic aspect of the show a bit. Otherwise, I suggest waiting for it to stream on NetFlix or come on HBO.

Scotty
Old 16 March 2012, 22:06
Confirmed User

Thank you.

Your review confirmed pretty much everything I suspected. While I find most of the stuff Jonah Hill has done to be rather funny. The trailer just looked like one of those that leaked out the funniest or best parts of the movie in it.
Old 16 March 2012, 22:18
Confirmed User

Boo to NetFlix for taking the show off streaming. I used to watch it sporadically about a year ago.

Seeing a lot of the box office stars of today playing perps on the show used to give me a lot of laughs.
Old 16 March 2012, 23:25
Best Damn Cooler of 2011

My girlfriend and I saw it tonight and laughed our asses off. Both the lead actors were funny, the big dude (Tatum) was as good as Jonah Hill or better. Rob Riggle was really good too.

As a comedy that didn't take itself seriously at all, it was really good.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 17 March 2012, 15:40
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty View Post
**Warning, there be spoilers here**

Ok, was DRAGGED to this tonight, kicking and screaming. Like some, I watched the show when I was younger and enjoyed it, and the thought of a comedy (like everything else that gets copied; IE: Starsky and Hutch, Wild Wild West *vomit*, The A-Team *wretch*) turned my stomach to no end.

It was not great. I did laugh in a few places, there are one or two scenes that actually make fun of movies that copy old shows "as if we don't remember them" (a line in the movie), but for the most part it was completely predictable, including cameos (like they all do), though some were competely out of the blue. I won't spoil that part.

If someone else is paying, go see it, there are some chuckles. Don't expect it to be ANYTHING like the TV show. AT ALL. ZILCH. Oh, but some folks actually die in it, which redeems the comic aspect of the show a bit. Otherwise, I suggest waiting for it to stream on NetFlix or come on HBO.

Scotty
IMO, the best of these types of movies are the ones where they get it as close as they can to the original. That's where the comedy lies. I thought Starsky & Hutch was pretty damn funny, and a lot of that was because they pegged the characters very well. When Ben Stiller came out of his apartment wearing the belted sweater coat and watch cap, I remember seeing the original Starsky wearing the same outfit and busted out laughing. The kids in the theater looked at me like I was an idiot, because they didn't get the joke, but I could hear other adults in the audience laughing at the same stuff I found funny.
Old 17 March 2012, 20:30
Confirmed User

i thought it was hilarious, laughed the whole time
Old 19 March 2012, 14:39
Secure The Victory!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC Photog View Post
Boo to NetFlix for taking the show off streaming. I used to watch it sporadically about a year ago.
cbs . com has a lot of the episodes in their video section. A couple of months ago I watched the first season's episodes, where the hippie guy was the team captain. My teenage daughters were drooling over Johnny Depp ...
Old 19 March 2012, 16:10
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwolverton View Post
cbs . com has a lot of the episodes in their video section. A couple of months ago I watched the first season's episodes, where the hippie guy was the team captain. My teenage daughters were drooling over Johnny Depp ...
That guy sucked, they wrote him out of the show rather well. Depp was the heart throb that carried that show.
Old 25 March 2012, 13:29
Authorized Personnel

Didn't watch the TV series so I have no idea what it was like...... I saw the movie with my dad and another friend last night. We went into it realizing it was a COMEDY, and vowing not to critique it to death. All three of us laughed our asses off during the entire thing. It was much better than I thought it would be, in a totally stupid-dumb kind of way. I have already decided to celebrate my next big arrest the same way they celebrated their first arrest.
Old 25 March 2012, 15:16
Been There Done That

I used to watch the show. Been debating to go see this movie. Will check it out on Netflix when it arrives.
Old 26 March 2012, 12:13
Life is simple, not easy.

I am hearing that Tatum showed some suprisingly very good comedic chops.
Old 27 March 2012, 21:40
On the Extract Bird

I keep debating whether to see it. I think I'll chance it based on some of the comments here.
Old 27 March 2012, 22:52
Confirmed User

My oldest son became a big Johnny Depp fan a few years back and has bought damn near every DVD he can find that has Depp in it. He also thinks Jonah Hill is a great comedy actor, which I don't get.
So when he started talking about wanting to see Jump Street, I bought him a DVD of the original, he really liked it.
After he went to see the movie, he could tell me anything about it because he fell asleep at the theater.
Old 18 April 2012, 15:40
A-O River!

I saw it last night and laughed my ass off. I thought Ice-Cube was a pretty good pick for the part of the Captain.
Old 1 May 2012, 20:13
Reverse Apache Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trig View Post
I saw it last night and laughed my ass off. I thought Ice-Cube was a pretty good pick for the part of the Captain.
Best part of the movie was Ice Cube yelling at them for bothering Korean Jesus.

Giving the enemy a boner is half the battle. --Jungle Recon
Old 13 July 2012, 08:02
Going cyclic!!

SAw it last night with reservations. This was absolutely the funniest movie I've seen in a long time. Holy shit, there were parts where I had tears streaming down my face it was so funny.
If you want pure sit back & not think entertainment, then this is one to watch.
Great movie, I think I'll watch it again to catch any subtleties that I may have missed, as they had several erferences that were out there
Old 13 July 2012, 10:06
Authorized Personnel

Saw it On-Demand. Surprisingly funny.
One of the funnier scenes.
Fuck you Science!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SF89P_0h6is

Oh, you hate your job? Why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called EVERYBODY, and they meet at the bar.
Old 13 July 2012, 16:21
Going cyclic!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by e5wsf View Post
Saw it On-Demand. Surprisingly funny.
One of the funnier scenes.
Fuck you Science!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SF89P_0h6is
HAHA, that was good. Or when they were in the car, watching & ducking down from the biker gang.

"Pretend your'e sucking my dick"
"Why do I have to pretend I'm sucking yours, pretend you're sucking mine"
Old 16 July 2012, 13:24
Confirmed User

I enjoyed it. I only caught three cameos from the original cast. I don't know why I enjoyed the idea of them being real f*ck ups more than anything.
Old 3 August 2012, 20:08
Authorized Personnel

I really liked it - good stupid comedic fun.

Who was the older blonde chick who was also undercover? She was only in the scenes with the Korean Jesus. Didn't have many lines but sooooo hot. I need to be able to google her so I can stalk her and get her to love me.

Our new posting rules