Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Air Force Special Operations > AFSOC Aviation

Old 30 March 2012, 19:13
Confirmed User

F-22

The scientists figured out what wrong with the F-22.

Some pilots blacked out from lack of oxygen.

DoD News Briefing on F-22 Scientific Advisory Board Findings
http://www.defense.gov/transcripts/t...nscriptid=5001
Old 1 April 2012, 07:46
Confirmed Abuser

If there's a lesson here for GPF & SOF, its that in high complexity systems failure modes pop-up in unanticipated areas. It may be better to have a "second-best" system and accept slightly lower performance in return for predictable and manageable failure modes, rather than insist on the absolute top-end tech and get caught off guard by unforeseen catastrophic failures.
Old 1 April 2012, 09:34
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro View Post
If there's a lesson here for GPF & SOF, its that in high complexity systems failure modes pop-up in unanticipated areas. It may be better to have a "second-best" system and accept slightly lower performance in return for predictable and manageable failure modes, rather than insist on the absolute top-end tech and get caught off guard by unforeseen catastrophic failures.
I strongly agree.
Old 1 April 2012, 13:38
Confirmed User

Quote:
+2

This dove-tails with the system engineering approach as prescribed by Colonel John Boyd and his colleagues and the concept behind the Black Swan thought as described by the author Nassim Nicolas Taleb, who focused not the financial engineering industry but the theory is applicable in other places.

From a systems engineering standpoint, I concur and I hope more people see this, particularly the decision makers. There are limits to understanding and when one stacks up high complexity systems, multiple mission sets, inability to validate each key characteristic due to cost (therefore more modelling and simulation is used) it creates gaps in knowledge. Add this with pushing through immature systems, combining DT/OT in cases where they should not, we're compounding this effect severely.
Old 3 April 2012, 12:42
On the Extract Bird

One of my brothers whose degree is in electrical engineering spent his entire Air Force career (10 years active and remaining years in the Air National Guard) working the electronics of all our cutting edge aircraft, and if there's ever a theme I heard from him in all those years, it was the need for the KISS principle. He completed his final years at Langley AFB as the senior NCO overseeing maintenance and training of the F-22 electronic systems, and I loved hearing his endless stories about trying to fix problems the systems engineers at GD and Lockheed failed to anticipate because things were overly complex.

ETA: Actually, I should add that just yesterday I was talking with this brother who is a test engineer (contractor) for the Navy's cyber warfare program, and he was confirming what I found while working with Information Assurance in my past work that so many of our decision makers continue to fail to give enough attention to that quadrant of the risk management matrix where the probability of occurrence may be miniscule, but it is catastrophic.

Last edited by OutsideTheB; 3 April 2012 at 13:12.
Old 3 April 2012, 21:21
Old and Broke

Quote:
Agree, one reason why I cringe when we replace a warm body with a cold box.

Software guys/gals have to stop promising the moon too. Most of our acquisition issues are software related. We have to go back to incrimental improvements and leave "revolutionary improvements" for the folks at DARPA.
Old 10 April 2012, 22:19
Confirmed User

system engineering and policy-making.......

There is a study on system engineering done last year.
Pre-Milestone A and Early-Phase Systems Engineering:
A Retrospective Review and Benefits for Future Air Force Acquisition free at http://www.nap.edu/catalog.php?record_id=12065
done by http://sites.nationalacademies.org/DEPS/AFSB/index.htm

Our new posting rules