Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Areas of Expertise > Technology and Communications

Old 14 September 2011, 02:34
On the Extract Bird

Windows 8 (Developer Kit)

OK, for the true geeks out there: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/apps/br229516

You know the drill - 1/2 the shit wont work at all, the other 1/2 wont work the way it is supposed to... So, enter at your own risk...

I am guessing with the Developer's kit out now, RC1 will be about 3 - 4 months away with RTM more than likely 1 year from today.
Old 14 September 2011, 07:49
Been There Done That

Papa - they are actually trying to get RTM out the door before the holiday season, 2012. Yes, I'm skeptical of those dates too.
Old 14 September 2011, 10:06
On the Extract Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubar View Post
Papa - they are actually trying to get RTM out the door before the holiday season, 2012. Yes, I'm skeptical of those dates too.
In typical fashion, their press release says they wont be rushed - the release date will be based on milestones, not calendar dates...

I have downloaded the kit and will be installing it later today on a stand-alone hard drive to see how it looks. If you don't hear back from me before dark, be afraid - be very afraid
Old 14 September 2011, 10:16
Russian Tycoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Smurf View Post
In typical fashion, their press release says they wont be rushed - the release date will be based on milestones, not calendar dates...

I have downloaded the kit and will be installing it later today on a stand-alone hard drive to see how it looks. If you don't hear back from me before dark, be afraid - be very afraid
Please be so kind and share your findings, experiences... emotional outbursts
Old 15 September 2011, 22:39
On the Extract Bird

To be blunt: IT SUCKS!

First, the GUI now looks like a freakin' iPad - there is no more start menu! Everything is done from the desktop, much the same as the apps on a smart phone. None of the buttons, keys, toggles or what ever the fuck you want to call them are intuitive - I had to use the Task Manager to kill most of the programs because there wasn't any on/off switch I could figure out - right click, double-click - NOTHING!

Second, The thing is a resource hawg! According to the meter I pegged 1.75GB of RAM just on the O/S - everything loads TSR and can not be turned off through msconfig (start.ini) because they are all part of the operating system.

Last, It has the look and feel of a Mattel toy computer you would buy for a 8 year old - Hell, it acted like, and I felt like using it like a damned Etch-A-Sketch. All I wanted to do after 15 minutes was flip it upside down and shake it until the screen cleared...

Not a chance in hell I am going to buy it - win one - lose one - win 98 good / Win Me bad / Win XP good / Win Vista BAD / Win 7 good / Win 8 @#$%^&

Old 15 September 2011, 23:31
Russian Tycoon

Wow, that BAD! And I am sure that there are many more bugs to be discovered.

I'll be sure to keep my Windows 7.

Thanks for sharing.
Old 15 September 2011, 23:50
I aim to misbehave

I'll still down the dev kit and play around with it in a VM...see how many ways I can find to break it...I'll spend the next couple weeks happily fuzzing to my evil heart's content.
Old 16 September 2011, 03:17
On the Extract Bird

Here is a screen shot of the desktop. The first thing you will notice missing is the tile bar / start menu. That has been replaced by a menu that pops up when you hover in the area - a menu that doesn't include any of the needed navigation or start/shutdown options.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5899.jpg (30.0 KB, 227 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5900.jpg (29.2 KB, 227 views)
Old 16 September 2011, 08:30
Been There Done That

This is their front end for a new generation of computing users?????........... An effort to spur the economy by forcing everyone to dump their LCD panels in favor of touch screens???? ............ Or their front end to drive everyone "to the cloud?" (Stupid Balmerism).............

(I'm on the road & will have to upgrade to VMWare 8 before I can tinker with it.)

Thanks for the preview Papa.
Old 18 September 2011, 02:14
On the Extract Bird

I took some time to calm down, and have a second look at the software.

First, I should have said in addition to the O/S using 1.75 GB of RAM just to kick the tires, it also allocates 17.7 GB of hard drive space.

I looked to see if there is a setting where I can change the display to emulate previous editions - NO!

If you are buying it to install on a tablet, then it may work - if however, your intention is to upgrade your PC you may have a bit of Win-culture-shock to deal with:

1 - as I pointed out earlier there is no start menu, per se. You can dig around and find the options you are used to seeing on the start menu / task bar, just that they are not where you would expect to find them.

2 - the desktop comes cluttered with apps (in two display sizes) which you can either delete or unpin from the desktop. You can also change the size to make them all uniform. Being a 'neat freak' I tend to only place things I am currently using on the desktop, which is why the display bugged the hell out of me - it may be OK for you electronic hoarders...

3 - simple things like <CTRL><ALT><DEL> to bring up the task manager don't work like you would expect - initially it only displays the jobs, not the processes, services, or performance panes.

4 - <F1> no longer brings up the help menu - it doesn't do anything.

5 - it comes loaded with IE 10 - as if IE 9 wasn't bad enough - good news is that unlike Windows-Me, the O/S and IE don't fight with each other.

6 - not sure what levels of the O/S (home basic, home premium, et al) will be offered or what the cost will be. Or, more importantly what options will be offered with each - if MS wants to make some money - offer the option on the ultra version to emulate Win7

7 - I didn't bother to load any programs to see how they work with the new O/S for the simple reason - it would take a benchmark to determine the difference and I am not willing to put the effort into it. I will leave that to the other computer tech types...
Old 18 September 2011, 09:44
BTDT

The Metro UI (yes, actual name) is flat out stupid for a work station. There is a registry switch that turns it off:

https://encrypted.google.com/search?...ient=firefox-a

MS needs to get a clue that we want phones to be phones, and workstations to be work stations.

Other than that, I'm sure the underlying OS will be great when it RTMs. Can't judge it now with all that debug code in there, running.

P
Old 18 September 2011, 11:55
On the Extract Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polypro View Post
The Metro UI (yes, actual name) is flat out stupid for a work station. There is a registry switch that turns it off:

https://encrypted.google.com/search?...ient=firefox-a

MS needs to get a clue that we want phones to be phones, and workstations to be work stations.

Other than that, I'm sure the underlying OS will be great when it RTMs. Can't judge it now with all that debug code in there, running.

P
Poly, I owe you one.

I downloaded and ran the program. First, it has to be run twice. The first time you run it, it goes out to MS and downloads an update file. The second time it actually pops the screen where you can disable the metro BS.

I selected to disable everything and rebooted. When it returned - there was my start button!

You will also notice the addition of a warning from MS (second screen shot).

If they would just set this option so you can run it from the start up screen life would be a lot easier..

Hopefully the MS minions are monitoring the internet for chatter and realize more people want the familiar look and feel of a PC when using a PC...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5904.jpg (22.8 KB, 201 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5905.jpg (31.2 KB, 201 views)

Last edited by Papa Smurf; 18 September 2011 at 11:58. Reason: added info...
Old 28 March 2012, 03:37
On the Extract Bird

Houston, we have a problem...

The more things improve at Microsoft, the worse they get.

I just loaded the latest version of Windows 8 (Consumer Preview). The first thing to note is that they have removed the option that allows you to disable the Metro User Interface

Now, apparently the only way to get around it is to install ViStart - I loaded it and it does add in the start menu (for now).

Also, I am attaching a screen shot of the drive - hopefully they do something about this - the only thing I had loaded was the Windows program - 26 GB to install the O/S

If there was an upside to this it is that now you can load the 64bit SAS drivers - the previous load refused to install them because they were unsigned (had to load 32bit mode).

For those of you unfamiliar with SAS (serial attached SCSI) - it is not a common use hard drive - advantage is that it is a 15,000RPM drive - disadvantage is that it will probably be replaced by solid state drives within a year or two.

Other than the previously noted issues, little else has changed. And as of now the price point for this limping deformed tablet look-a-like operating system is going to range from $149 - $299 depending which version you opt for.

Personally, I recommend passing on it, especially if you are going to be installing it in a corporate environment.

The only upside is that the Russian translator has improved dramatically from the previous 'terrorologist' version, making it possible to better fake international documents
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.jpg (28.2 KB, 175 views)
Old 28 March 2012, 07:27
The fish goes blub.

I completely missed this thread. Good stuff.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 28 March 2012, 08:37
Been There Done That

I had forgotten about the thread.

I'm using it on an Acer w500 - it is ok for that purpose but I'm not at all excited. I've loaded the server version in Hyper-V but have had little time to play with it. Metro for the server too - that really pisses me off!!!!
Old 15 April 2012, 16:38
Confirmed User

I'm just reading this now. I like the idea of turning of metro. Really stupid on a workstation, and even moreso on a server.

I'm using the beta for my Hyper-V servers here in the home lab; I do like the fact that with a little PowerShell-fu you can go from Core -> full UI -> Core again. One thing that I cannot stand about the new start menu ("start screen") is that it appears there's no Shift-RightClick. That means I have to hook my various MMCs into the damn start menu if I want to have "Run as another user" rather than just "Run as Admin" available. It's entirely likely that one or the other of my admin principals wouldn't be a local administrator on the administrative terminal server, but would be, eg, a Hyper-V admin, DNS admin, or have some elevated Exchange privs.
Old 15 April 2012, 19:10
BTDT

First time since 3.1 that I'll be taking a pass on a new OS.

P
Old 15 April 2012, 19:43
Confirmed User

Do you happen to know whether there's a HKLM version of that registry hive to turn off Metro? It's be wonderful to push out a registry key via GPO to do that for all users in one fell swoop.
Old 10 August 2012, 13:46
On the Extract Bird

Finally, some good news from the greedy bastards at Microsoft - the upgrade version of Windows 8 (from either XP, Vista, or 7) is only going to cost $40.00.

While it still has some serious bugs to be worked out, it may be worth a look at that price, which according to Microsoft is only good from the release date (Oct 26) to January 2013.

Hopefully by then, they or someone in the aftermarket will provide the tool to disable or do away with the metro UI, which will have a new name when it comes out due to a law suite by a European technology company named Metro...

The RTM version is due out this month.

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/st...ate/56322808/1
Old 11 August 2012, 12:42
BTDT

It will flop, you heard it here first

So what's the deal with Linux and Secure Boot? Has that been 'fixed'? I heard Red Hat was going to have to pay?

Businesses? Hahahaha. Metro for you to!:

http://www.zdnet.com/microsoft-said-...19/?edition=uk

In other news: (In addition to the 'Legal Intercept' patent application and Skype topography overhaul, ie. "All your calls are belong to MS"):

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012...?newsfeed=true

They are screwing the pooch royally. I'll be on 7 until I die, and am using Ubuntu more and more.

P

Our new posting rules