Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Employment and Training > International Jobs

Old 17 April 2012, 01:36
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark83 View Post
On a serious note my company has gone from being some what positive to being real quite again.
On a more serious note, companies are going to keep a tab to see where they stand, numbers wise. If you receive two emails in a week, that doesn't mean they know something is about to happen, you're just assessing it that way, they are just doing a morale and number check. When the visas happen, they'll happen. No one in my pay grade knows when that'll be. If you can afford to wait, then wait. I just won't change my stance based on whether or not my respected company contacts me more or less than usual.

Treat it like you're a virgin and for some reason you're the last man alive. It's going to happen, you're going to get lucky. Just sit back and wait.
Old 17 April 2012, 05:44
The Flying Scotsman

I know this will not be much of a help, but I , along with 11 other blokes waited in Dubai for 2 weeks before we secured our visas, and 3 month ones at that, though single entry, as to the how's and why's , we simply don't know, we handed over our passports to our HR people, and from there, the process was unknown, but it was all done through the Iraqi consulate there.
Bottom line, I'm back in country, as are 11 of my colleagues, all who had been out from between 8 and 18 weeks, and the second batch of 9 guys should receive their visas today, and be back in country tomorrow.
The fingerprints thing? well I've been getting mine done everytime I enter and leave, so taking a bold step in making an assumption, it's for cross referencing your MOI work permit for your various companies.
The debacle at Basrah Airport also looks a look more efficient, and there's now 2 seperate areas, one specifically for those applying for/collecting visas on arrival, and the normal immigration desks, I was through in less than 45 mins from landing, pretty impressive for a change.
I have NO idea what the facilitators do behind the scenes in securing our visas, but 2 weeks stuck in a hotel in Dubai might sound appealing, not when you're paying for food etc and getting a token $30 a day allowance, which has to be claimed for when back in country, being with a bunch of good blokes made up for it, and we made the most out of it..
No idea how it's working out long term, but hang in there for those who are waiting, only you can decide how long to wait, but it's not going to make it any easier for you by jumping ship to another company, especially if you're NOT registered with them and the MOI
Old 17 April 2012, 11:45
Confirmed User

Argyll 50,

Glad you and your boys made it in. Good on your sponsor on pushing the issue. Wish it was that easy for every situation.
Old 17 April 2012, 11:47
Weaponologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argyll 50 View Post
It's not going to make it any easier for you by jumping ship to another company, especially if you're NOT registered with them and the MOI
A friend of mine jumped very early in this, and is not yet deployed with his new company, and I know of a couple others the same.

"Not all those who wander are lost"
- J.R.R. Tolkien
Old 17 April 2012, 19:01
Awaiting the Terrologist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobofthedesert View Post
A friend of mine jumped very early in this, and is not yet deployed with his new company, and I know of a couple others the same.
Also doesn't make the reputation any better either.

"The 7 P's are not nice to haves...they are the cornerstone of every operational endevour!" Copyright: Me (AJ) in the ME 12 July 2009
Old 17 April 2012, 22:47
Registered Lurker

If, hypothetically, this visa issue is never resolved and they never issue new visas what would happen? I suppose it would bleed out all the security companies and put them under and DOS would have leave, right?

Then all that we've sacrificed there for the last 8 1/2 years would be for nothing, right? Would Uncle Sam let that happen?
Old 17 April 2012, 23:50
Puppy Pusher

I would think they would just staff the embassy with Marines and turn the IZ over to the Iraqis. I dont think there is any way they are just going to close down the embassy.

BTW my company is now saying visas at the end of the week after saying they would be here on Tues.
Old 18 April 2012, 03:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9Contractor View Post
BTW my company is now saying visas at the end of the week after saying they would be here on Tues.
I've heard that for over 4 months...
Old 18 April 2012, 08:53
The Flying Scotsman

Every single company is telling their blokes the same thing, some will be telling the truth, some will be trying to keep the guys sweet.
As for the visa situation not being resolved, well the guys currently in country will be operating outside the wire illegally and WILL be deported if they get arrested for not having indate visas, so it's a very precarious situation.
Uncle Sam has already put pressure on the MOI, did it make any difference? Not really, as some of you guys have been either stuck incountry or on leave for a good few months now, with what seems no end in sight, it seems to be effecting only certain companies, others who have Iraqi partnership seem to be getting visas without too much hassle, it's a sign of the times, every man here knew it was only a matter of time before the Iraqi Government started their crap against contractors, this is no longer 2004 where we acted with impunity, and got away with every crime imaginable, now were guests in another Soverign state, who can't organise visas etc, but what else can be done?
Only those stuck at home, with no end in sight can make a choice, tough it out, and tighten up their spending, or cut away and look at another career move, there's lots of guys I know who have been unable to leave, and are at the 20 week mark, now saying fuck this, and resigning, which then leaves contracts struggling to meet the demands of the clients..
It's NOT a good predicament to be in, that's for sure, but it's not going to go away over night, and could well be another 4-6 weeks before it's looking better.
Old 18 April 2012, 09:10
Administrator

Some of you appear to not understand my earlier post is truth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverbullet View Post

remember that your company is going to do what is best for them, not you. If you think otherwise, you will end up disappointed. They know many of you are stuck with them. They know that many of you have left other jobs to go with them. While cold blooded, this is the lay of the land. If you were the priority then you'd have money in your pocket even if the CEO, COO, CFO and others had to pool resources to get it to you.

Always be looking at your options and make the best choice for you. It's business.

Thanks
Old 18 April 2012, 21:06
Been There Done That

I have to second what SB said. Business is business, and NEVER forget that the primary mission of a business is to make money and grow. If you think because you work for former military guys, even guys you served with, means anything - WAKE UP! It doesn't. Do some businesses run more in line with our military ethos? Absolutely, there are some out there. But even those folks have a bottom line they have to account for. Sorry, it is what it is.
Old 19 April 2012, 03:52
Confirmed User

I think FIFA's decision will play a role. If FIFA's President says that Baghdad is not safe enough to host playoff matches in 2013and 2014, I think that's going to send a negative message to investors.

The majority of the Emirates sent "nobody's" to the Arab Summit. Because without American SASO, Iraq is a free-for-all, why invest millions on a venue that's only going to be blown up in front of a worldwide audience ?

Its sad knowing that despite all the lives lost, we pulled out completely, for purely political reasons. But I'm glad one of the main things iraqi's care about, isn't going to happen. Not because it COULDN'T happen bit because FIFA won't let it happen... Not without us there.

So hajj will definitely feel the sting, when this great opportunity passes them by... And they'll have 4 more years to think about how awesome it would have been for them to host some of the World Cup Qualifiers.
Old 19 April 2012, 04:58
The Flying Scotsman

FIFA will play a role in what? Sorting out the current visa issues? Yeah Sepp Blatter is the man to fix things...NOT!!
That's like saying the UN is a well organised and functioning organisation, that spends its money wisely and is free from bribery and corruption.
The person who CAN fix this is Nouri Al Maliki, he's under immense pressure from the Major Oil companies who can't get their people in fast enough, but he's at odds with his current cabinet, and internal strife is causing chaos between the various political parties.
You seem to forget Iraq has already, I belive been chosen to Host the Asian Cup in 2013, or whatever it is already, there's an entire Sports village being built in Basrah, and last time I was there a year ago, it was impressive.
They don't need us as you put it, when you say us, do you mean PSC's, or do you mean the USofA ?
You think the money generated by a handfull of football games is more than what Oil and Gas currently produce?
The visa issue has NOTHING to do with FIFA, and FIFA have zero input into the ongoing issue, it's all down to the MOI, and having people registered on their books to carry out work in their country. Add to this, lots of PSC's are witholding upwards of 15% per day for the next big ball ache Local Tax..For the companies who have no issues getting visas, or limited issues, most of these are partnered or part owned by Iraqi's..it's all about making more money at the end of the day, and if they want all PSC's to wear pink tu-tu's better get used to it, it's their country and we're all guests now.
Old 19 April 2012, 16:02
Confirmed User

*yawn*, yeah Argyll, Sepp Blatter is going to fix the Visa issue... Thats what I said...thats kind of funny in an ignorant, meat-headed shitsack sort of way. I never said it would be the deciding factor. The Arab Summit, World Cup, Emirate service to BIAP, Lufthansa service to BIAP, these are all factors that show Iraq wants to do business globally... well, thats nice, they can want as much as they can, but unless they can keep it safe, none of that other stuff means shit.

"The decision on whether Iraq will be able to play home matches for the 2014 World Cup qualifiers in their country has not yet been made," FIFA said in a statement. "The matter will be evaluated in due course, and will be based exclusively on security considerations."

--"I belive been chosen to Host the Asian Cup in 2013, or whatever it is already, there's an entire Sports village being built in Basrah, and last time I was there a year ago, it was impressive."

Iraq has been BANNED by FIFA to host ANY games whatsoever. The Iraqi Soccer Team has as many posters of themselves all over Baghdad, as Muqtada and the Ayatollah, but yet, they can't even play in Iraq.

There's "Sports Villages"s in Basrah, Samawah, Baghdad, Irbil, Ramadi... All over Iraq, so what.

There's a big cultural center in Baghdad covered with millions of dollars in shiny new copper... so what.

you think oil companies have more influence on Maliki than the Grand Ayatollah ?

maybe you need some Cultural Awareness Training... "it's their country and we're all guests now." IT WAS ALWAYS BEEN THEIR COUNTRY... WE HAVE ALWAYS BEEN GUESTS. maybe no so much welcomed, at times, but when they can't even host a meeting among Arabs... from the Emirates (their neighbors) that means that the world is saying to Iraq as a country, "We want to go there and do business with you, but we don't trust you unless there is some sort of US presence there keeping us safe"

So when your boy Maliki thinks about how to keep the foreign investors happy without pissing off the people who helped him get elected, he's going to realize that US PSC's are a necessary evil.

Every decision sports organizations, oil companies, technology companies, any kind of business company is making their decision to do business in Iraq, that decision is based on the security situation. ESPECIALLY OIL.

Iraq could export 3 Times more than they currently do, if the security situation would provide safety. Since it doesnt, they'll do it a lot more slowly.

All of these factors affect the Visa Situation... Not having us there, is bad for business... Having us there, Is good for business. IMO that's the bottom line.
Old 19 April 2012, 16:34
The Flying Scotsman

Dude, the point I was making was what had your post got to do with the current visa situation? you're talking about 2013-2014, this has been ongoing since 2011..as in the lack of visas issued to PSC's.
As for your comments it's always been their country, well mate, having been here since 2004, there's a hell of a lot of folks who wore your Country's uniforms who acted like it was their's unfortunately there's an element, and not just your guys but my countrymen to, who feel they've a right to be here..go figure.
I've been on a contract now for the past 12 months down South where the problem about production is the lack of degassing stations etc to increase the volume, the lack of water pumping stations to shift the crude oil, nothing to do with lack of security at all, more to do with the lack of infrastructure, off the top of my head, I think there's only been maybe 2-3 attacks on PSC's down here, one was recently as in within the past 4 months... so it's not really a security issue either here or up in the North.
There's even talk of lowering the Security status situation down in the South so that there will be even LESS expat PSC's needed, and that's going to make it even harder to convince the MOI we're indeed the neccesary evil so to speak, yeah we're still needed, not just American PSC's but Multi national PSC's, but the aim of the MOI is to have MORE LN's established within Western PSC's, and by acting like total cocks with the visas is one way of squeezing PSC's, it got so bad that Exxon Mobil pulled all their guys out of Basrah as their Security Provider couldn't move on the roads as their current visas had expired, and they would be detained and deported for having out of date visas..
They're playing a dangerous game, but they, and they alone, as in the GoI and MoI are so far calling all the shots, I believe the US Ambassador/DoS has had several attempts to expedite the situation on getting visas, as have the big oil companies, it didn't make much of a difference..
I have no idea what went on behind closed doors for my company to be issued visas, another 5 blokes were given theirs today, making it 18 in the past 7 days...so we, as in our people must be doing something right would you not agree?
I also read today in our Int summary that the Chinese, Russians and the Germans are doing quite well in terms of business in Iraq, especially the Chinese, who have been chosen to build either a power station, or water sewage plant, and the Chinese don't really give a fuck about security, or who provides it either, whether it be Western PSC's or LN PSC.. business is actually booming in some places mate..makes you wonder how hundreds of Chinese on these flights in from Dubai into Basrah daily can get visas no problems doesn't it?
Old 22 April 2012, 17:13

Everyone here can speculate about whatever, but the facts are: 1. right now, the tempo is so slow that those who left aren't really needed; 2. It's not '04, its '12 the threat is only minimal; 3. If you keep up with the news, Maliki isn't changing his mind soon; 4. There have been no Visa updates for those that are in and around central; 5. Again, if you read the news DOS staff are getting cut by 1/2 and if there are 1/2 as many diplomats then why would you think contractors aren't going to get cut? Sorry if this dampens your spirits, but im where most of you want to be and this is the situation. Good Luck
Old 22 April 2012, 17:27

labamba, you need to post an intro.
Old 22 April 2012, 17:28
Confirmed User

Labamba

Less than replying and more than following directions. How about you post a introduction first.
Old 22 April 2012, 19:01
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by labamba View Post
Sorry if this dampens your spirits, but im where most of you want to be and this is the situation. Good Luck
Are you speaking for your company or the entire country? Unless you have access to what every company is being briefed on, you should not make statements like that. As far as what is needed guys WILL need to go on rotation and others will quit. And your location says you're in Georgia if youre there this quote is also untrue:
"but im where most of you want to be"

Oh and post a intro before the mods come back around.
Old 22 April 2012, 19:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by labamba View Post
5. Again, if you read the news DOS staff are getting cut by 1/2 and if there are 1/2 as many diplomats then why would you think contractors aren't going to get cut?
Have you read the FY2013 budget for DoS? Do you know and understand the long term goals and objective's of DoS's overseas contingency operations in frontline state's? Diplomatic presence is not getting reduced...

Our new posting rules