Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > History

Old 16 April 2012, 08:37
In From The East

Caesar versus Vercingetorix

Just finished reading the book about the Battle of Alesia..very good book...Vercingetorix was close to unifying the Celtic Tribes and took it to Caesar in pre-Alesia battles...he was reasonably close to being able to defeat Rome....if so, who knows we may have been speaking Celt!! Good Read...
Old 16 April 2012, 15:05
Bland user

I'm just finishing up Caesar's Legion by Stephen Dando-Collins, about the 10th Legion.
The more I learn about Gaius Julius Caesar, the more impressed I am.
They sure did take a hit from a number of the tribes and Vercingetorix was a great leader - but Caesar had a genius for war.
Old 16 April 2012, 21:26
Preparing to defend

I happened to read about that that battle in Military History magazine about the same time I saw it on one of the History channels. Very interesting battle. Vercingetorix should have left himself an opening escape route of the encirclement, or better yet, not allow himself to be bottled up. But it didn't help that his allies were either slow in responding or bought off. I bet the history channel show can be found.
Old 17 April 2012, 08:15
In From The East

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdogonroad View Post
I happened to read about that that battle in Military History magazine about the same time I saw it on one of the History channels. Very interesting battle. Vercingetorix should have left himself an opening escape route of the encirclement, or better yet, not allow himself to be bottled up. But it didn't help that his allies were either slow in responding or bought off. I bet the history channel show can be found.
It was very interesting...Caesar basically created a double wall..he was able to keep the besieged in and the reinforcements out. Interestingly also, is that he allowed Vercingetorix to live for quite a while after he was captured...drilling him on his tactics and to a point almost becoming friends....Vercingetorix fought in the gladiator ring and was ultimately put to death in celebration on Caesar's Gallic victories...."Vae Victis"!!!
Old 17 April 2012, 10:33
היה אישם עשה משהו

Most of my history of the time comes from reading Asterix in the 80s. ;-) I didn't do so well with the originals during HS Latin.

Good stuff, actually, if you already appreciate Roman-European history. The English translations are pretty good.

http://www.asterix.com/
Old 17 April 2012, 16:32
Genuine Polymath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medic09 View Post
I didn't do so well with the originals during HS Latin....
No apology needed. A lot of us had that issue back in high school: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIAdHEwiAy8
Old 17 April 2012, 20:13
Awaiting the Terrologist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamppirate View Post
Just finished reading the book about the Battle of Alesia..very good book...Vercingetorix was close to unifying the Celtic Tribes and took it to Caesar in pre-Alesia battles...he was reasonably close to being able to defeat Rome....if so, who knows we may have been speaking Celt!! Good Read...
The international language of diplomacy was for the longest time, French. Guess what language group it comes from? (Sure as hell wasn't Latin) ;-)

"The 7 P's are not nice to haves...they are the cornerstone of every operational endevour!" Copyright: Me (AJ) in the ME 12 July 2009
Old 17 April 2012, 23:30
Been There Done That

Who was Caesar's 2IC or top officers, I think the propoganda machine left out a host of names, a cohort if you will heh heh. Most of what I read centers on his cunning as a politician, the soldier Caesar is harder to understand how he did all that, suspect.
Old 18 April 2012, 08:17
In From The East

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xdeth View Post
Who was Caesar's 2IC or top officers, I think the propoganda machine left out a host of names, a cohort if you will heh heh. Most of what I read centers on his cunning as a politician, the soldier Caesar is harder to understand how he did all that, suspect.
I believe one of his main "men" was General Publius Cornelius Scipio Aemilianus. He was the one who the Celtiberians surrendered too after the Romans put the smack down on the Celts in Iberia. Additionally, General Publius Crassus (son of his friend Crassus of the First Triumverate) was the general who helped Caesar take down the Celts along the Atlantic coastal region.... Have no doubt Caesar was a cunning war machine, which was driven by the constant crave for power/military prestige and his need to conquer additional land to pay off his enormous debts he had incurred...can you tell I was a geeky History Major

Old Starlight...I'm Scotch/Irish, so in reality it would not have really mattered one way or another!!! LOL....

Last edited by swamppirate; 18 April 2012 at 08:28.
Old 21 April 2012, 00:54
הייתי ועשיתי, וזה לא נגמר

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe723 View Post
I'm just finishing up Caesar's Legion by Stephen Dando-Collins, about the 10th Legion.........
This is pretty interesting apropos the 10th Legion......

http://www.timesofisrael.com/in-a-br...f-roman-might/

We do not fight to be free; we fight because we are free
- Avraham "Ya'ir" Stern -

You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.
- Robert A. Heinlein -

!אחרי

Last edited by sabasarge; 21 April 2012 at 01:20.
Old 23 April 2012, 11:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Starlight View Post
The international language of diplomacy was for the longest time, French. Guess what language group it comes from? (Sure as hell wasn't Latin) ;-)
Are you sure about that?

I'm pretty sure French fits very squarely into the romance language category which by definition are distortions of Vulgar Latin.

As a French speaker this is news to me, curious to hear more.
Old 23 April 2012, 17:40
Migratory Coconut

I was also wondering about that. I was thinking French, English, Italian, German, and associated languages to those were originally spawned from bastardized Latin. I am not a linguist so I am very willing to admit being wrong. Just studied some French, Spanish and Latin and figured the ones I named came from what started out as differing dialects of the original Latin.

"I may go to hell for it, but recess will be legendary!"- Longrifle

"If at first an idea does not sound absurd, then there is no hope for it." - Einstein
Old 23 April 2012, 18:05
Authorized Personnel

French most definitely came from Latin.

The Celtic people spoke Gaulish but French is from the vulgate Latin.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_French
"“Since mankind's dawn, a handful of oppressors have accepted the responsibility over our lives that we should have accepted for ourselves. By doing so, they took our power. By doing nothing, we gave it away. We've seen where their way leads, through camps and wars, towards the slaughterhouse.” ."
Old 23 April 2012, 18:53
In God We Trust...all others are suspect

If you liked the Battle of Alesia read Marius Mules great book. There are 3 books on the series so far. Read them all could not put them down great read.
Old 23 April 2012, 19:52

I stand corrected on French Origins.

I do know my own mother tongue shares similarities with French, but is not a latin derivative and I was assuming

In fact most people when they see my first name usually assume it's French.

But I'm big enough to be wrong and to also thank you all for pointing it out....yet another way to be edumacated

Maith agat (Thank you)

"The 7 P's are not nice to haves...they are the cornerstone of every operational endevour!" Copyright: Me (AJ) in the ME 12 July 2009
Old 23 April 2012, 19:58

Quote:
<snipped for brevity>
Old Starlight...I'm Scotch/Irish, so in reality it would not have really mattered one way or another!!! LOL....
So you are a drink? LOL....it always amuses me that the US standard is to refer to the "Scotch/Irish" which automatically makes me think of óuiscé beathá (Water of Life or Whiskey).

'Tis far easier to say we are Gael and we were never conquered by Rome until the Church became Rome.

Old 23 April 2012, 20:37
In From The East

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidA View Post
French most definitely came from Latin.

The Celtic people spoke Gaulish but French is from the vulgate Latin.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_French
The Celtic language was actually known as p-celtic or q-celtic..don't always believe Wikipedia..
Old 23 April 2012, 21:04
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
The Celtic language was actually known as p-celtic or q-celtic..don't always believe Wikipedia..
Doesn't matter - modern day French is from Latin. There are only about 200 words in the entire French language that trace back to celtic roots.

There are 29 scholarly references in that article on the history of the French language by the way.

Unless you're taking affont to my "celtic people spoke Gaulish" which you should since I screwed up. I meant to say early Frenchies spoke a celtic language called Gaulish. So mea culpa on that.

Gaulish was a celtic language but its use fizzled out as the Romans came in and brought Latin. French then derived from that with a few dozen French words still identified as having celtic/gaulish origins.
"“Since mankind's dawn, a handful of oppressors have accepted the responsibility over our lives that we should have accepted for ourselves. By doing so, they took our power. By doing nothing, we gave it away. We've seen where their way leads, through camps and wars, towards the slaughterhouse.” ."
Old 23 April 2012, 21:19
Migratory Coconut

Well OS I'll say not all in the US fall into that particular trap.
I learned that I was Scot/Irish from a young age, though it seems a predominent amount was the latter in my family tree. The temper has come in handy at times.

"I may go to hell for it, but recess will be legendary!"- Longrifle

"If at first an idea does not sound absurd, then there is no hope for it." - Einstein
Old 23 April 2012, 22:24
If you don't smell ozone, the radiation won't kill you before next week.

Is there a connection between Gaulish and Gaelic?

"I agree that his intentions are suspect, and that he likely needs to die...." - SOTB

"Just a lone patriot acting alone at a fulcrum point, ideally in a deniable fashion. A perpetrator of accidents." - Magician

Our new posting rules