Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Fitness

Old 30 October 2017, 14:36
Confirmed User

Nine years ago I had my L3-L4 fused with 2 screws in each vertebra (titanium rods installed to provide stabilization) due to an injury that I had put up with for years. ( I couldn't sneeze our get out of the bed in the morning unless I bent my right leg up and brought my knee to my chest and rolled out of bed).

I have a chronic condition in ALL my cervical vertebra (lots of pinched nerves/numbness in the arm/fingers from sports back in the day) which now puts a lot of stress on my T- vertebra (my neck actual curves the wrong way and the thoracic compensates for the Cerv and Lumbar verts problems).

I was seeing a chiro 3x a week regularly, but I came to the realization that I and I alone have to work on my spine EVERYDAY in order to heal it as best I can. So like most of you, Iím conscious of my spine/feeling/alignment/movement from the moment I wake up in the morning.

I looked at all the traction devices on the market (inversion tables/neck traction straps/etc). I found that the best thing for me, was using a large exercise ball to roll back on. It's simple, inexpensive, easily stored and follows the curve of the spine.

I roll back and forth on the ball and do a series of exercises designed to stretch the spine using the curve of the ball. Iím able to Ďpopí the offending areaís back in line and increase rotational flexibility from my neck vertebra on down.

If I have to do this 20 times a day in order to get relief, I do it. (Eventually you donít have to do it as much, I'm around 2-5X per day now). You can hop on and do this in less than 30 seconds while the TV is going.

Chiroís will tell you that the body has to get used to the new alignment.

I figure that you have to constantly exercise and work on your spine's flexibility and alignment so that you donít become an old hunched over man with a hump in his back.
Old 14 May 2018, 14:25
Been There Done That

I believe I have a Herniated Disk around the L3 area, pain is all localized to the area and I can feel the lump/bulge on the right side of the spine. Before I go and spend the money on an MRI was wondering if it would also show up on a CT Scan that I had a couple of months ago?

Want to make an apt with the Ortho in the next day or two and wondering if I should get the results of the CT Scan sent to them before the appt.

One nut in the ground!

Sing your death song and die like a hero going home.
Old 14 May 2018, 17:38
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker View Post
I believe I have a Herniated Disk around the L3 area, pain is all localized to the area and I can feel the lump/bulge on the right side of the spine. Before I go and spend the money on an MRI was wondering if it would also show up on a CT Scan that I had a couple of months ago?

Want to make an apt with the Ortho in the next day or two and wondering if I should get the results of the CT Scan sent to them before the appt.
Yes, or bring a copy of the findings and a CD of the CT scan.
Old 14 May 2018, 19:20
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous View Post
Yes, or bring a copy of the findings and a CD of the CT scan.
I should have mentioned this but dont know if it matters, the CT Scan was looking for cancer spread and it was from my junk to the bottom of my lungs so the whole lumbar was in there just dont know if it makes a difference what they were looking for.

One nut in the ground!

Sing your death song and die like a hero going home.
Old 14 May 2018, 20:11
Been There Done That

Docs see things differently when they look at the "film." My neck Doc (surgeon) looked at my lower back, on the same CD, and gave me some free advice that I mentioned to the other Doc (who was appreciative).

Neither one cared to see what the X-Ray Doc had to say. Both stated they know more than that guy.
Old 15 May 2018, 09:07
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker View Post

It may be herniated; but chances are anyone over age 30 likely has a bulging disc, somewhere. L3 generally radiates pain to the front of the legs, the quads. If the pain is localized to that area (L3 area), it could be something else. If pushing on it makes it hurt worse, it could be a facet issue.

CT may show generalities but the MR is the gold standard. If you can get by with the CT imaging and it's "good enough", then you won't need a MR.

Generally, most good surgeons leave these alone and treat symptomatically with steroid injections.
Old 15 May 2018, 11:18
Confirmed User

Devildoc your thoughts on this please....

This guy has got a lot of vid on youtube showing his chiropractic/PT abilities on various athletes. I chose this particular one because of his hammer and chisel techniques of vertebral/clavicle/rib etc rearrangement...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0moTdSBBlk
Old 16 May 2018, 15:49
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19MIKE View Post
Devildoc your thoughts on this please....

This guy has got a lot of vid on youtube showing his chiropractic/PT abilities on various athletes. I chose this particular one because of his hammer and chisel techniques of vertebral/clavicle/rib etc rearrangement...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0moTdSBBlk
That one is new to me, but I HAVE seen this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-pl9XGt1fw

Hey, I am naturopathic: if it's stupid and works, it's not stupid. The Malaysians do something similar, too. I would try it before I have surgery. Personally I believe there is something to it. If I am bored at work I might to a lit search and see if there's anything published about it.

You have had some major spine issues. You have my sympathies and respect. I have a few myself, but have kicked the can of surgery thus far.
Old 16 May 2018, 23:34
As Above So Below

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildoc View Post
Generally, most good surgeons leave these alone and treat symptomatically with steroid injections.
Does this include bulging disc in the neck?
Old 17 May 2018, 08:29
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhea View Post
Does this include bulging disc in the neck?
Depends on how many discs, what the symptoms are, and the concomitant (associated) pathology. Locally I would say >50% of cervical herniations are treated symptomatically, but the threshold is a lot shorter to getting surgery (not because of the nature of the cervical pathology, but a lot of pre-surgical treatments just don't work well).
Old Yesterday, 12:26
Confirmed User

Looks like I'm out of the work out game for a while. What I thought was a sciatic nerve issue turned out a bit more serious. Had a MRI last week then a consultation with the ortho surgeon. Bulging disc with stenosis. Here is the description. M54.16, radiculopathy, lumbar region, M54.5 low back pain, M51.16 intervertebral disc disorders with radiculopathy, lumbar region, M21.371, foot drop right foot, M48.07, spinal stenosis. lumbosacral region, lumbar spine.

We discussed 2 options, an injection or surgery. I'm leaning towards the surgery based upon what he showed me in the MRI. Worst case scenario if they have to place a spacer in between the discs (I could be using the wrong terminology) I'm off work possibly 6 weeks. Simple repair I'm out possibly 3 weeks. I have a pretty high tolerance for pain. But this has sucked. They did give me a narcotic for pain. I'm sticking with the OTC stuff which is manageable. I have been on vacation this past week. I don't think I have ever watched so much TV. Doing some reading and on-line stuff for work. Going back to work Monday, will be limited on getting around for the job.
Old Yesterday, 19:33
Confirmed User

Some good news to share for back issues.

I had a training injury circa 2 years ago, a fall carrying significant weight resulting in a lower back/lumbar injury.

Not serious enough for surgery, but debilitating in that the pain would come and go, both chronic and acute at times.

My physical fitness routine went to poos, diet never changed to adapt to lower energy output, and I blew up like a balloon exacerbating the problem.

After being unable to get out of bed by myself due to my lower back, I finally took it as seriously as a heart attack.

I received treatment and did a 180 turn on both nutrition and fitness.

Went full retard keto on nutrition, which was an easy(albeit really weird initially) transition.

I take stretching, in home yoga, and lower back exercises very seriously.

I switched from decades of middle distance running to working towards 10km x 3 and 20km x2 day’s of rucking on the beach per week.

Dropped 21kg in 12 weeks.

Competed in a local marathon(carrying 25kg ALICE) finishing in 5:48.

I have never felt better and feel 10-15 years younger.

I know the seriousness of my back issue would pale in comparison to most on this thread, but it sure didn’t feel like it at the time when I was unable to get out of bed by myself.

I never want to feel that way again.

At the age of 49, I’ve recognised the need for me to shift focus away from higher performance and towards longevity/durability/well-being.

Colonel Flagg, psychopathic guest star of M.A.S.H.

Our new posting rules