SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Gear, Survival and Fieldcraft

Old 2 April 2020, 12:48
Hard to Kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsniper View Post
I've been wanting one for my Kubota B2610 for years, but I'm too stingy to buy one. What did it set ya back?

4 or 5'?
They are not too expensive. I was looking at a 6 footer for my farm tractor (75 hp, 4WD) for a few thousand bucks.
Old 2 April 2020, 13:03
Shakin' the bush Boss

Quote:
for a few thousand bucks.
Retired O's make a whole lot more than retired E's.
Old 2 April 2020, 13:38
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsniper View Post
I've been wanting one for my Kubota B2610 for years, but I'm too stingy to buy one. What did it set ya back?

4 or 5'?
It's 58" so just a bit wider than my 54 wide wheel base. $2500.00 out the door with them doing all the work. It is a few hundred more than going with a County Line, but it's local and they are picking it up and dropping it back off set up. Big thing is I do not have any wait time for shipping.

Who knows what is coming down the pike with this virus craze, better to get it now was my rationalization.
Old 9 April 2020, 21:09
Back on The Farm

Small farming

So, how many of you are actually farming a little, as in more than an acre of crops?
I started some small beds to see what vegetables I can grow. Looks like my soil will definitely grow some radishes! Onions are doing well, as is garlic. Last Fall I put in broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, and greens. Greens grew like gangbusters and the broccoli, cauliflower, and cabbage didn't do shit. I have had NO luck with any type of cucumber or squash, but tomatoes do fine. This year I want to grow some corn and sunflowers also. I would love to do pumpkins and watermelons, but I am not sure they would do well.

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet." Gen. Mattis

"Definition of insanity: Letting the government dictate what the Amendment designed to control the government - means." - Polypro

"The rules only apply when something is going wrong." -Me

"When are you gonna come down?
When are you going to land?
I should have stayed on the farm
I should have listened to my old man" Elton John
Old 9 April 2020, 21:12
Shakin' the bush Boss

An acre garden is freaking YUUUGE as Donald would say. I grow all the stuff we can eat in a year in less than 1/4 acre. With some good raised beds and a decent plan you can grow a year's worth of stuff in not much space at all. Counting wildlife plots I'm well over an acre, but the actual "garden" part ain't anywhere near that big.
Old 9 April 2020, 21:38
Authorized Personnel

Agreed, an acre is huge. We started our garden and grow a majority of what we eat on it. Didn't do raised beds or anything, just straight in the ground. We have the worlds worst soil and I am constantly bringing horse shit over from the other barn and any time our cows crap, it goes up front. I'd say we are gardening on about a 60ftx60ft plot and do ok. I'll go bigger eventually but not an acre. Maintain soil, do rotations, utilize your local ag extension and 1/4-1/2 acre will be all you ever need. I'm feeding 7 off of my plot. Plus whatever my friends take when they come over.
Old 9 April 2020, 22:08
Been There Done That

I’m doing 2 areas. Both not much bigger than a full size truck. Haven’t turned any dirt yet. These guys are talking me into raised beds. For only 3 people that will suit me fine.
Old 10 April 2020, 06:06
Anesthetized User

I am no where near a farmer. Those boys work too hard.

But, we have two 4'x6'x18" raised beds, IIRC that is how they measure out. We grow tomato's only: Big Beef, Beef Master etc and along with them some Salsa Peppers.

The tomato's are all softball sized, great tasting, non-mealy, and we pick about 10 ripe pieces of fruit per day, peak of harvest and wind up giving away a lot of what is grown.

I cannot imagine trying to keep up with a planted acre of crops unless I did it full time.

It don't come easy.--Ringo Starr

And stay away from crack too. One hit of that stuff and you will wake up in prison married to a guy named Big Blue and he is branding his initials into your ass with a hot coat hanger. I knew a guy.--Coach Boilermaker.
Old 10 April 2020, 06:26
Confirmed User

I know Clemson University will do soil samples. Then you will know what your garden, yard etc needs to grow..Helps allot.
Old 10 April 2020, 06:26
Swimming Upstream

I'm completely intimidated to even try growing tomatoes or anything else in a pot...let alone a garden...wouldn't even know how or where to begin doing it! Good for you!
- Faith involves believing in the veracity of the unprovable and unobservable, whether that consists of religion or theoretical physics, which at the very subatomic level start looking rather similar. -ET1/SS Nuke

- I'm not typing this looking for sympathy, I want you guys to listen to your body and if you see or feel something out of the ordinary going on, get it looked at by a competent Doctor. -OldCrustyBastard
Old 10 April 2020, 08:24
Shakin' the bush Boss

Snow in April. This is bullshit. Luckily everything but my onions and cabbage are still in the greenhouse.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg snow.JPG (159.7 KB, 41 views)
Old 10 April 2020, 08:31
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple36 View Post
I'm completely intimidated to even try growing tomatoes or anything else in a pot...let alone a garden...wouldn't even know how or where to begin doing it! Good for you!
Great way to break yourself in is to start with herbs. Look at your spice rack and see what you like to use. Get a large planter, dirt and the herbs you like. You can get in the habit of watering, watching and harvesting.

My main ones are cilantro, chives, parsley basil and dill.

Love going out with scissors to get some chives to go with my baked potato, butter and sour cream.
Old 10 April 2020, 08:39
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKAPete View Post
Great way to break yourself in is to start with herbs. Look at your spice rack and see what you like to use. Get a large planter, dirt and the herbs you like. You can get in the habit of watering, watching and harvesting.

My main ones are cilantro, chives, parsley basil and dill.

Love going out with scissors to get some chives to go with my baked potato, butter and sour cream.
That’s a great idea and they are very useful!
Old 10 April 2020, 09:08
33,024 - R.I.P.

We had a 40' x 60' garden when we lived in KS, and it was a bear to keep up. Getting the soil compound just right for the individual items you plant can be daunting. Tomatoes and cucumbers were pretty simple to care for, but corn was a whole different story. Another issue we had the the propagation of Johnson Grass (weeds). It develops a tangled ball root (rhizome), and was almost impossible to get rid of. We spent more time weeding than we did harvesting. I tried herbicides and burning without lasting results.

Then, there's the irrigation issue; which plants need the most water and which need less?
Old 10 April 2020, 09:27
If you don't smell ozone, the radiation won't kill you before next week.

Radishes are a good crop for beginners. They are so non-picky they will grow in your roof's rain gutters.

"I agree that his intentions are suspect, and that he likely needs to die...." - SOTB

"Just a lone patriot acting alone at a fulcrum point, ideally in a deniable fashion. A perpetrator of accidents." - Magician
Old 10 April 2020, 09:41
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple36 View Post
There is great reward when it comes to eating your own veggies, especially tomatoes.
Old 10 April 2020, 09:52
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET1/ss nuke View Post
Radishes are a good crop for beginners. They are so non-picky they will grow in your roof's rain gutters.
Actually, that is a great technique for those with limited space, like a patio. A 4 foot piece of gutter will produce an incredible amount of radishes. You plant/replant as you consume them and you will have a nearly continuous supply.

You can grow a variety of short carrots the same way. I seed enough carrots to last a week every week all summer then load up in Aug-Sep for canning/storage.

For more tips on gardening see this thread- https://www.socnet.com/showthread.php?t=115494
Old 10 April 2020, 11:39
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGR.Montcalm View Post
A 4 foot piece of gutter will produce an incredible amount of radishes
I was working in PR and they used 4 and 6 inch PVC pipes, split them and then bored small drain holes which were covered with old coffee filters--added dirt and grew every herb known to man, plus all kinds of lettuce radish, etc. Forgot all about that until I saw this...
Old 10 April 2020, 16:55
Shakin' the bush Boss

I do strawberries in guttering. Works like a champ.

https://www.socnet.com/showthread.php?t=115494&page=12
Old 10 April 2020, 17:29
Shakin' the bush Boss

I merged these threads, as they're basically about the same stuff.

Our new posting rules