SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Employment and Training > Domestic Jobs

Old 4 October 2010, 16:58

Public Figure Protection - Gavin de Becker & Associates

SB Approved.

Gentlemen,

Iím an associate at Gavin de Becker & Associates, a public figure protection and threat assessment firm based in Los Angeles and ten other American cities. Our firm is experiencing massive growth (now at 200 full time protectors) and we still need more great people. Our next training academy begins the first week of November.

If you know a former Marine, Sailor, athlete, overseas contractor, paramedic, police officer, or any active person who seeks interesting security work in a major American city please forward him my email asnyder@gavindebecker.com and our website www.gavindebecker.com

We're always hiring, especially for our offices in Los Angeles, San Francisco, Seattle, and NYC, and there are plenty of travel opportunities around the US and abroad.

I'm looking for members of America's new warrior class: Those who can operate in the ever-expanding personal security industry. The ideal candidate for our protection division is 50% warrior, 50% Four Seasons concierge. Someone who can both protect and provide first-class service for our clients; someone who can communicate effectively with everyone from the busboy to the billionaire; a professional who can think on his feet and offer our client's a quick solution to any security or service-related problem.

Thanks,

Aaron

P.S. I am not the agency's formal recruiter, however we are all encouraged to help with recruiting efforts. I can give qualified applicants "Preferred Candidate Codes" which will get your resume to the top of the pile. Please email me if interested. Starting salary is typically $55-60k the first year.

Most of the firm is made up of Marines, with a few SEALs, Rangers, Army SF, and Air Force Security Forces, as well as prior LE, and Contractors.

Here's a good article from one of our SSA's.

https://www.gavindebecker.com/employ...tory/edward_h/
Old 4 October 2010, 17:29
Confirmed User

Snyder,

I see you have two post and you reg a number of yrs ago.

Please post an intro: http://www.socnet.com/showthread.php?t=73033&page=210

RO!!!
Old 4 October 2010, 19:27

Done!
Old 5 October 2010, 08:48
Confirmed User

Thank you.

RO!!!
Old 5 October 2010, 09:36

Thanks for all the emails guys! Keep em comin! Again, we are gearing up for our EPS Academy the first week of November, so we're currently screening qualified candidates. For a quick response, email me directly at asnyder@gavindebecker.com and attach your resume. Information that also helps is:

When are you available?

What city are you most interested in working out of?

Are you willing to relocate?

Do you use tobacco products? (This is a dis-qualifier unless you quit) employees are tested for it often.

Can you currently pass our APART (Annual Physical And Readiness Test)?

My advice to serious applicants is that you go to our website and THOROUGHLY read it. Most questions can be answered there.
Old 5 October 2010, 11:30
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyder0311 View Post
SB Approved.

Here's a good article from one of our SSA's.

https://www.gavindebecker.com/employ...tory/edward_h/
Sorry to comment on this job thread, but you opened the door by posting that guys bio.

The author of this "article" seems immature and inexperienced regarding career choices and well, life in general. The section "What I encountered and Learned When leaving the Military" is full of some revealing personality traits. Seems very bitter regarding military service and the military-industrial complex, lol... I'll leave it to the readers of this bio to spot the obvious warning signs of disaffection. My impression is, Naval Acaedmy grad that didn't augment (for whatever reasons) and feels the corporate world must have owed him something too. Losing the structure provided by the Academy and Marine Corps takes some re-adjustments of yourself, your skills, and creativity and innovation. Not everyone is ready for that, career circumstances don't create leaders.

Like the rest of his pitch though.

Last edited by Xdeth; 5 October 2010 at 11:33.
Old 5 October 2010, 12:41

You're entitled to your opinion. Ed is a solid dude. This is a civilian company, full of talented young men who made the decision to move on from what the military had to offer. We all have stellar backgrounds and a voice within the firm, which makes for a dynamic and unique team, full of experience, ideas, and motivation. Everyone has a voice, and is encouraged to bring something new to the table. (Something the DOD lacks in) It is that very reason why we are expanding so fast and why we attract so many great candidates. We promote by merit, not seniority. We want free thinkers who are driven to contribute and share their knowledge and experience. (hence the "men of action") I'd say about 95% of the firm is made up combat veterans and/or LE personnel. Most of them served in some type of highly respected unit, and have gone through the toughest and most sought after schools our military has to offer, and we are all proud of that. We understand that not everyone is ready to "re-adjust" themselves from military structure, and for those people there are other career paths.
Old 5 October 2010, 12:51

Also, I won't let this thread become some flame war and will not be commenting on further posts not having to do with employment.

Thanks guys!
Old 5 October 2010, 13:14
Swimming Upstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xdeth View Post
Sorry to comment on this job thread, but you opened the door by posting that guys bio.

The author of this "article" seems immature and inexperienced regarding career choices and well, life in general. The section "What I encountered and Learned When leaving the Military" is full of some revealing personality traits. Seems very bitter regarding military service and the military-industrial complex, lol... I'll leave it to the readers of this bio to spot the obvious warning signs of disaffection. My impression is, Naval Acaedmy grad that didn't augment (for whatever reasons) and feels the corporate world must have owed him something too. Losing the structure provided by the Academy and Marine Corps takes some re-adjustments of yourself, your skills, and creativity and innovation. Not everyone is ready for that, career circumstances don't create leaders.

Like the rest of his pitch though.
From reading that bio, I come away with the sense they don't hire women.
- Faith involves believing in the veracity of the unprovable and unobservable, whether that consists of religion or theoretical physics, which at the very subatomic level start looking rather similar. -ET1/SS Nuke

- I'm not typing this looking for sympathy, I want you guys to listen to your body and if you see or feel something out of the ordinary going on, get it looked at by a competent Doctor. -OldCrustyBastard
Old 5 October 2010, 13:39
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple36 View Post
From reading that bio, I come away with the sense they don't hire women.
Looked at their website and it appears they do hire women.
Old 5 October 2010, 15:20
Administrator

Quote:
We all have stellar backgrounds and a voice within the firm, which makes for a dynamic and unique team, full of experience, ideas, and motivation. Everyone has a voice, and is encouraged to bring something new to the table. (Something the DOD lacks in) Most of them served in some type of highly respected unit, and have gone through the toughest and most sought after schools our military has to offer, and we are all proud of that. .
No one was flaming anyone. The discussion centered around a link you posted.

I was really hoping that allowing job openings for GBA wouldn't end up going down this path.

Since you opened the door, I feel it's my responsibility to point out that the parts of your post I quoted contradict each other. If you have guys who served in highly respected units, then they have already been around people with experience, ideas and motivation. Additionally in these type of units every has a voice. Like all org including GBA the leader or boss has the final say.

GBA has a very tight structure and method of behavior and actions. I know this and so do others in the industry. There isn't much room for initiative in most projects. The impression that someone may be allowed to step up beyond someone who's been around awhile and is a vetted performer in the GBA system is not exactly correct as posted.

I'm all for people getting work and enjoying where they are employed. It's good to see someone who is proud of where they work, but jumping from the mil to GBA doesn't really give anyone much perspective.

Thanks.
Old 5 October 2010, 16:06
Been There Done That

Quote:
Do you use tobacco products? (This is a dis-qualifier unless you quit) employees are tested for it often.
I'm curious as to your organizations reasoning for this. Is it a health insurance premium issue? If not, is it client driven, or more along the lines that someone up in the rank structure within the organization doesn't like tobacco?
Old 5 October 2010, 17:06

Silverbullet,

Noted, and I understand what you're getting at. We do recruit guys straight from active duty, but that's not the majority. Most of us worked in many different fields before arriving here. Air Marshals, LE, Investigations, IC's, EMT's. Most are college educated, and focus in "CANI" (Constant And Never-ending Improvement) we are always looking to better ourselves and improve our service to our clients. I agree with you on your perspective statement, and I thank you for allowing me to post here.

RP,

There are a few reasons for this policy.

But I'll let Mr. de Becker himself answer your question. Below is a excerpt from one of his books "Just 2 Seconds"

Come to Your Senses

"When a protector is lost in thought, he is literally lost to the present moment. To be there in space is one thing, but to be there in time is the main thing. To be present means to be pre-sent, to already be there when it happens. Since the nature of the mind is to wander, it must somehow be coaxed into the current moment, tamed specifically for protective work.

The big question is, perhaps the biggest question in protection, perhaps the biggest challenge in any important endeavor is How to stay in the present moment. The answers: Commitment, physical readiness, conditioning of the mind, and practice at seeing each new event as really new. This will all require freedom from craving.

Few things remove a person from the present moment as completely as craving. Imagine a smoker on a protective assignment, three hours since his last cigarette. The space between every relevant perception is quickly filled by the urge to have a cigarette. All day, he is riding the addiction roller coaster, chugging his way up the steep track toward satisfaction, thinking of little but reaching the top, perhaps getting a cigarette and then rolling downward into the next valley, a valley in which he'll predictably slow to a chug as he climbs the up the next steep track. Craving, imagining, planing, anticipating, attaining, satisfaction, and then a brief moment of freedom from craving-till the next cycle starts again, and then again.

A note from Gavin de Becker: Some readers might already be aware that our firm deploys a nicotine-free workforce. That doesn't mean simply no smoking at work. It means no smoking or other tobacco use at any time. Every employee in out firm is nicotine-free, 24 hours a day and we have random urinalysis to ensure it.

Years ago when I made that decision there was some controversy. I took a fair amount of criticism: Was I trying to control the off-duty lives of our protectors? Did my firm have the legal right to disqualify applicants who use tobacco? Etc.

We learned the some military sniper units had made the same decision about nicotine use because (among other reasons) snipers might be positioned at concealed locations for hours and must be careful not to reveal their location through lighting a match, for example. And even with the stakes involved, do you know what many addicted smokers do when in concealed sniper positions for hours? They light the match. Of course. They have no choice. A highly stressful situation is hardly the ideal circumstance to quit a powerful addiction. And if they resist the cravings, what happens to precision and accuracy after a few hours without nicotine? Let's just say it's not improved: hands shaking, blurred vision, inability to concentrate, looking for any opportunity to take a break and get a cigarette - all things that distance the smoker from our goal of being present."

He goes on to cover more on this subject, but I think you get the point.
Old 5 October 2010, 18:57
Been There Done That

Quote:
RP,

There are a few reasons for this policy.

But I'll let Mr. de Becker himself answer your question. Below is a excerpt from one of his books "Just 2 Seconds"
Snyder, thanks for the information! I had assumed there was some cost savings measure involved rather than just GDB's personal bias. That is the case with many fire service organizations who do not allow smoking, and have their personnel sign statements stating they will not smoke while in the employ of the particular department.

I'm not a smoker, but I do believe in the right of the individual to do whatever the hell they please (within reason) on their off time. That includes smoking. However, I do also believe in GDBs right to not hire people who he doesn't want, smokers included. After all life is about choices.

I'd like to know, from those of you the board, in case Snyder does not, what military sniper units do not allow the use of nicotine? Personally, from my experience, I think the GDB line of logic on that issue is a bunch of crap. I've run protection missions in very stressful environments, with smokers who did not have the opportunity to grab a smoke for hours on end and they were locked on the entire time. However that is my own personal experience and may not be consistent with others. I wonder if GDB was a smoker and is writing from personal experience, or if he is just blowing wind based upon information he gathered elsewhere?

Lastly on that issue, I know several non-smokers, myself included, who considered working for your organization, but took a pass when the nicotine testing issue came up. The thought being if GDB is going to be up my butt with a magnifying glass regarding smoking on my off time, what other shenanigans are there going to be?

Thanks again for your reply. I appreciate it.
Old 5 October 2010, 19:58

I see your point.

Quote:
The thought being if GDB is going to be up my butt with a magnifying glass regarding smoking on my off time, what other shenanigans are there going to be?
I don't smoke, and don't want to smoke on my time off, so I don't think twice about it. The choices I've made/want to make fit nicely with this particular agency.

To be completely honest, the only other things that are stressed upon besides nicotine and drug use is physical fitness and confidentiality. Confidentiality is of course our number 1 priority, and for those guys who have had exposure to anything involving OPSEC, it's no different than that.

We are given random drug tests, random PT tests, and we sign a 50 year confidentiality agreement.

We don't need to sell ourselves to the people that are not interested. Those that are, will pursue us. We get over 1000 applications a month. The hiring process is extensive, and the competition is cut-throat. One month we had 1464 applications. 11 people were given job offers, 10 made it through the polygraph, and 7 made it through their probationary period. I wanted to post the employment opportunities on socnet because 9 out 10 guys that do receive job offers have some sort of specops background.

If anyone else has any questions, post it, and I'll try and answer it. Hopefully it will help other that are interested as well.
Old 5 October 2010, 20:15
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResqParamedic View Post
Personally, from my experience, I think the GDB line of logic on that issue is a bunch of crap. I've run protection missions in very stressful environments, with smokers who did not have the opportunity to grab a smoke for hours on end and they were locked on the entire time. .
He's been like that for years. He has good name recognition and does money making business, but he is not what can be considered an expert at working details himself.
Old 5 October 2010, 20:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverbullet View Post
He's been like that for years. He has good name recognition and does money making business, but he is not what can be considered an expert at working details himself.
Actually, when Gavin started the firm back in 1978, he did do detail work, and actually still continues to supervise select details from time to time. Of course he is less involved now, but what makes someone an "expert at working details"? Gavin pretty much pioneered the Private EP industry. If you've read his books, you know that he views protection as a thinking mans game. Protectors are in tune with what is going on around them. One of his philosophies is what we call ZAP- Zen in the Art of Protection. We are not a bunch of gorilla bouncer types in monkey suits. We are first responders. Highly trained in responding to emergency situations. The fact that Gavin knows, as much as he knows, I would not only consider him an expert, but THE EXPERT. And I'm not just saying that cause I work here lol.

One thing we are NOT are IC's. We have a similar mission, but in a very different setting. You will never see us carrying M4's all tacted-out in the latest MOLLE gear. Most of the time, you won't even know we're there. We know the importance of "command presence" but lucky for us, the majority of our clients are not concerned with getting ambushed on their way to work...well ok, sometimes the paparazzi can be a pain, but they're pretty easy to outsmart.

Gavin is the face, and his name has helped us network, but when it comes to PSD operations, we have an outstanding team of executives running the show. All of which happen to be Marines.
Old 5 October 2010, 21:03
Embrace the Suck

Dude, you are really not helping your employers reputation, in my opinion. There is a very distinct difference between supporting your boss and swinging on his nut sack.

You crossed over and now sound like an ass kisser. Just some friendly advice.
Old 5 October 2010, 21:18

lol thanks Sean.

Keep the resumes coming guys! Keep in mind that the salary differs depending on the region.

https://www.gavindebecker.com/employ..._and_benefits/
Old 5 October 2010, 21:24
Embrace the Suck

No problem dude, just being honest.

Our new posting rules