SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Fitness

Old 8 August 2020, 17:02
Shakin' the bush Boss

Just because you feel good...........

My A1C hit 6 on my annual bloodwork last week. I'm 5'9" 185. Workout regularly. It's a combo of heredity. It's in the family. And diet. I eat way too many carbs, drink too much beer. I feel great, but 6.5 is diabetic.

Did some research, got advise from Poly. Changing the intake and cranking up the workouts.

Just because we feel good doesn't mean we are good. We're all getting fucking old. I'm 53. Get your shit checked out even if you feel good.
Old 8 August 2020, 19:32
Renuo Victima Esse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsniper View Post
My A1C hit 6 on my annual bloodwork last week. I'm 5'9" 185. Workout regularly. It's a combo of heredity. It's in the family. And diet. I eat way too many carbs, drink too much beer. I feel great, but 6.5 is diabetic.

Did some research, got advise from Poly. Changing the intake and cranking up the workouts.

Just because we feel good doesn't mean we are good. We're all getting fucking old. I'm 53. Get your shit checked out even if you feel good.
I'm 53 and have been on Metformin for two years now. I stay between 6.4 and 6.5 on my A1C although I have gotten to 6.1 abd 6.2 at times. I am short...like 5'5" short and 160'ish, but I don't have a gut.... I was around 174 when initially diagnosed as T2. I didn't realize how many in my family had it...so my Doc said it was probably hereditary since I wasn't deemed "overweight" in his opinion. I've lost weight and got to where I am now. I have another A1C in November for my yearly physical. We shall see. The thing was...I never exhibited any signs of diabetes whatsover. It was only due to my yearly checkups that it was discovered. It's always good to have a physical...regardless of whether you think you need one or not.
Old 9 August 2020, 13:27
Authorized Personnel

Damn bro.

Remember, bourbon is carb-free.

I work with guys who only get their biannual "fit for duty" physical at work and consider that good enough. I've tried to tell them that's just the bare minimum and done to ensure we won't keel over dead at work. My personal doctor gives me a checkup and blood work annually to keep me healthy and alive.
Old 10 August 2020, 07:37
Been There Done That

I had all kinds of tests before knee surgery. A week after knee surgery my bleeding ulcers that were not detected ruptured, and I was bleeding to death. I felt funny but didn't realize what was going on with all of the signs my body was telling me that the check engine lights were flashing at me with all of the bells and whistles going off.
I never really had been sick with the flu or even much of a cold for many years.
So when i threw up lots of blood in my bed room floor my wife was freaking out and I still refused to go to the hospital. By that time i was pooping blood also.
I was in bad shape and my body crashed the NEXT DAY!
By the time they got me to the hospital I couldn't even respond or close my fist. My Dr said I should have died after losing 5 pints of blood.
Long story short they gave me blood transfusions and lots of medication to heal me.
So I say all of those tests are good but they are just the basics in seeing if you are healthy.
If you don't care enough to just do the basic tests then don't be surprised or complain when the ambulance comes for you!

Our new posting rules