SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Employment and Training > Professional Development and Education

Old 9 February 2015, 02:36
In Vino Veritas

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8654maine View Post
As for the comment of training time exceeding lawyers or doctors, you just go with your bad self,
Ummmmmmmm I've never been a Marine, but speaking from a SF POV, he's probably right. There are more than a handful of schools that will net you a handsome income. Two come to mind that are 4mos each. If one got both of those schools and was in the right place, they could make about $250,000a year, market depending of course. All without shelling out a dime and getting a "paid internship" aka OJT. There is a lot more to SOF than MFFing someone to death
Old 9 February 2015, 03:20
Another pool cleaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Mess View Post
Ummmmmmmm I've never been a Marine, but speaking from a SF POV, he's probably right. There are more than a handful of schools that will net you a handsome income. Two come to mind that are 4mos each. If one got both of those schools and was in the right place, they could make about $250,000a year, market depending of course. All without shelling out a dime and getting a "paid internship" aka OJT. There is a lot more to SOF than MFFing someone to death:smile:
That we agree on. Too many idiots think that an insertion method is SOF. Like gear makes the man.

As for the other, well, different experiences. C'est la vie.
Old 9 February 2015, 12:44
Confirmed User

Energy companies. Lots of lawyers overlook applying to them but they have a lot of need for lawyers: Real Estate especially, but also environmental law and of course dealing with the regulatory agencies. It's more research oriented since most of them will farm out their litigation to outside counsel.

Bonus is you'll get a decent salary and can usually live in a decent area since every damn state has multiple energy companies.
Old 10 February 2015, 19:26
Authorized Personnel

I believe many MBA programs will accept an LSAT score, so it may not be a complete waste. I've also heard of law grads going straight into Wall Street.
Old 11 February 2015, 14:11
The USA's Loose Cannon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8654maine View Post
Not bad advice for the most part.

Use your employment to it's full advantage, especially SOF.

My bro did a JD/MBA and is doing well.

As for the comment of training time exceeding lawyers or doctors, you just go with your bad self,
Ive been trying to find the study that I referenced for days now to no avail.

If you look at a Physician / Lawyer and the times that they are actualy in front of a Professor or another professional during internships and you compare those hours to what an SF type does in his career (unless he really really liked doing support cycle) Its not even close.

figure a fine SF Trooper back in the day went to ABN>Ranger>SFQC>18D>O&I>Scuba>NCOA>ASOT>and whatever other training you might expect throughout the career That adds up to way more contact time than most MDs rack up doing 500-800 level courses and labs / internships

Law school even less maybe one class in the AM and two in the PM maybe one of those a two hour class. granted there is LOTS of research/study/writing time but that holds true for a lot of SF schools too. Im not counting time like laying in an OP/LP in Fla. phase squatting mosquitoes hoping the R.I. doesnt catch you nodding off either

Its an interesting spread sheet - if I do find it ill post it on this forum

Civilians havent a clue the assets a service members bring to the table if they hire them
Old 11 February 2015, 15:59
Another pool cleaner

If you find that spread sheet, that'd be great. Considering where you are currently, no sweat if you can't find it.

I agree about civilians being clueless in regards the potential in hiring vets.

Last edited by 8654maine; 11 February 2015 at 16:25.
Old 11 February 2015, 17:59
Administrator

I hired a guy about a year and a half ago who went to law school on an academic scholarship. Smart as hell. He worked in a large firm for about a year and said "fuck this". He now makes ~$50K/YR in the insurance space and goes home at 5 Pm on the dot every day. He's happy as fuck.

SGT A/1/75 86-89
Ranger Class 13-87

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children will have peace." - Thomas Paine
Old 12 February 2015, 10:48
Been There Done That

I am finishing a fellowship at the Harvard Kennedy School and I have had interaction with faculty and students from the Law, Medical and Business schools and I am surprised, no SHOCKED, at the number of people going through all of those programs who are doing it only to position themselves for something else. I've met people going to medical school who don't want to be doctors and people going to law school who don't want to be lawyers and people busting their but getting an MBA who don't plan on going into private business. My question is always "why?". I just don't get it and their answer didn't make sense or justify it in my opinion...but it is just that, my opinion.
Old 12 February 2015, 11:13
exquisitus asinus

Im in the middle of pursuing a JD (just finished 1L in December).. and have zero interest in practicing law... Im not even planning on sitting for the bar at this point.. :)

But..

I work in a field that is driven by contract agreements, has a complex regulatory environment associated with it, and is chock full of lawyers on the customer side..

So.. my thoughts were (are) that the JD, combined with the MBA I've already got knocked out.. and the experience I bring.. positions me extremely well for continued upward mobility in the field that I am already working in.. and that a greater understanding of certain aspects of the law will actually benefit me at work...

the JD is ancillary.. its not absolutely required.. but.. I think it will bring value (at least in my field, and with the work I specifically do)..

and to be truthful.. while I am not at all enjoying the program right now (law school SUCKS!).. I do generally enjoy learning.. and pursuing both formal and informal education... if it werent this.. I'd have found something else (PhD in sustainable development?).. which might have been more fun and/or interesting.. but probably would have had even less direct application...
Old 12 February 2015, 13:09
The USA's Loose Cannon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Football Batt View Post
I am finishing a fellowship at the Harvard Kennedy School and I have had interaction with faculty and students from the Law, Medical and Business schools and I am surprised, no SHOCKED, at the number of people going through all of those programs who are doing it only to position themselves for something else. I've met people going to medical school who don't want to be doctors and people going to law school who don't want to be lawyers and people busting their but getting an MBA who don't plan on going into private business. My question is always "why?". I just don't get it and their answer didn't make sense or justify it in my opinion...but it is just that, my opinion.

in my case - once i was in the program and actually started to get the big picture (sounds good on paper lieutenant) I figured I would never sit for the bar because as another posted - lawyers are a miserable lot. BUT in for a penny in for a pound and I finished off the JD

I have used my education on several occasions personally when i have had contact with LEOs

told a spring lake cop when he asked for permission to search my car - sure everything but the glovebox- that was fun
Old 14 February 2015, 11:20
Been There Done That

Clearly wasn't trying to imply that what is gained from law school would not be applicable to many career fields other than as a lawyer.
Old 17 March 2015, 20:43
Confirmed User

My bad on missing the various updates to this thread. Didn't end up taking the LSAT in time for 2015 law school. Just couldn't convince myself it was the right path for me. Looking at a few other options for my next step in life, but haven't totally discarded it.
Old 18 March 2015, 02:56
Callsign: Turkey Bacon

If you come to Cali with a JD and would like to practice law, PORAC or Peace Officer Research Association represents cops who have allegedly been; wrongfully termed, or sued for criminal or civil wrongdoing..

You won't find a shortage of cases PORAC deals with in this State when it comes to representing Cops.

That is if you like coppers

Our new posting rules