SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Fitness

Old 12 March 2013, 14:32
Confirmed User

Running shoe

Some may know of my back story but quickly I was a Midshipman about to commission until my mother became 100% disabled in Afghanistan, now I am trying to become a full time police officer and get back into the Marines in a reserve officer slot.

I have done thousands of PFTs between my Midshipman career and my candidate career and I would like to try something new to improve my run time (I do run 4 miles every other day too). I would like to look into another pair of good running shoes for my PFTs in the future.

I am looking for a shoe that is light and provides comfort. Anyone have any suggestions for me?
Old 12 March 2013, 14:34
Fan ar an gcosán

I like the search button. Fits well and produces good results.
Old 12 March 2013, 14:42
Confirmed User

I searched it and found this

http://www.socnet.com/showthread.php...highlight=shoe

but I was looking for more of something that users use/used for their PFTs in the Marines and secondary for PT, that works good. Strictly for the USMC PFT.
Old 12 March 2013, 15:19
Confirmed User

Are you looking for a training shoe? Or just a light shoe for your PFT? If you're just looking for a lightweight shoe for the PFT, get a pair of racing flats. I'm partial to the Brooks T7 Racer.
Old 12 March 2013, 15:28
Confirmed User

One specifically for the PFT. Ill look into the T7.
Old 14 March 2013, 10:11
Confirmed User

Just contracted with a 283 pft using Niki Air Rail Pegasus .... Idk if ill get selected with that maybe my grades for my masters program will help me.

Maxed out everything except the run... I am a little disappointed in myself regarding my run time. Ill message back on my next pft. I'm going to run it with the T7 next.
Old 14 March 2013, 10:34
Drawing my cutlass

PFT? Try the Adidas Adipure, 5 ozs and the fastest shoe I've ever had on my feet.

I refuse to participate.

The Oatmeal
Quote:
...it could be raining pu$$y and troops will complain and blame the leadership for not providing an equal ration of a$$holes

Billy L-Bach
Quote:
In Special Forces we had a saying: "Work hard in silence, let your success do the talking."

Tracy
Old 14 March 2013, 13:25
Been There Done That

Just get a good high quality pair of running shoes, and go running and keep running. The shoes are not going to make you go any faster. I have been using New Balance 990 series since 1989 or earlier. Always maxed the run. Now at 55, still use NB 990 series. I have actually really slowed down. (Imagine that)
Old 14 March 2013, 14:44
I aim to misbehave

I've always been a fan of anything Brooks. All-in-all, I don't see shoes dropping any significant time from your runs. If you want to get faster, run faster. 300m repeats, all the way up to 800m repeats, balls to the wall effort, a couple times a week. Running long distance is not an efficient way to get faster, and doing it every day will likely be counterproductive. I do one long run a week, on saturdays, with two sprint days, and a tempo run (PFT distance, fastest pace you can maintain).

I do Tempo on monday, sprints wednesday and friday, and a long slow distance on saturday.

While true:
Continue
Old 14 March 2013, 15:38
Confirmed User

If you want to drop some serious time off your PFT buy a copy of "Daniels Running Formula". Its easy to follow and it works. Well.
Old 15 March 2013, 13:58
Confirmed User

A lot of good information thanks everyone.
Old 15 March 2013, 14:22
Fitness Mod

Go to runbayou dot com.

Find the VDOT calculator (based on Daniel's Running). The instructions are easy to follow. You can select a race distance and it will spit out some data based on your current time for that race. Use the EMTIR information in the generated Training Zone to help you set up and gauge your training regimen and it's effectiveness towards acheiving your goal.

Good luck and run smart...

Our new posting rules