Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Army Special Operations > Special Forces

Old 21 April 2016, 16:53
Confirmed User

Dr. Major Omar Hamada/SF Soldier

This guy's FB Page just showed up on my newsfeed. His bio is impressive. Looks like he's very vocal and active here in my state of Tennessee. Anybody know him ?
https://m.facebook.com/DoctorOmarHamada/
Old 21 April 2016, 20:14
Been There Done That

He is not a Special Forces soldier.
Old 21 April 2016, 23:19
BT,WBTWC

Hmmmm ...

Here is the information from his Facebook bio, in case he may want to change it some day.

Quote:
Awards
-MILITARY-

*Special Forces Combat Patch – Central Asian Theater, Operation Enduring Freedom
*Expert Badge – M16 Rifle
*Expert Badge – M4 Carbine
*Expert Badge – M9 Pistol
*Bronze Star Medal
*National Defense Service Medal with Bronze Service Star
*Afghanistan Campaign Medal
*Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
*Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
*Armed Forces Reserve Medal with Bronze Hourglass and with “M” Device
*National Emergency Service Medal of the State of Alabama with 9-11 Clasp
*Army Reserve Components Achievement Medal with 3 Bronze Oak Leaf Clusters
*Alabama National Guard Faithful Service Medal with Bronze Saint Andrews Cross
*Army Service Ribbon
*Army Reserve Components Overseas Training Ribbon
*Tennessee National Guard Individual Achievement Ribbon
*Tennessee National Guard Volunteer Service Ribbon
*Combat Medical Badge
*Flight Surgeon Badge
*Parachutist Badge
*SCUBA Diver Badge
*Diving Medical Officer Badge
*Russian/Uzbek Parachutist Badge
*Overseas Combat 6-month Service Bar
*Cold War Certificate

-CIVILIAN-

*Imhotep (Honorary Medical School Leadership Organization) – 1990
*Gold Standard Quality Service Award - University of Tennessee Medical Group – 1999
*University of Tennessee Golden Apple Excellence in Teaching Award - 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000
*Mead Johnson Award for Graduate Education in Family Medicine – 1994
*Outstanding People of the 20th Century, International Biographical Centre, Cambridge - 2000
*Top 40 Under 40 - Memphis Business Journal - 1998
*Who’s Who in American Christian Leadership – 1989
*Who’s Who in Finance and Industry, Marquis/Reed – 2003
*Who’s Who in the World, Marquis/Reed – annually since 2000
*Who’s Who in America, Marquis/Reed – annually since 2000
*Who’s Who in Medicine and Healthcare - Marquis/Reed – annually since 2001
*Who’s Who in Science and Engineering - Marquis/Reed – annually since 2000
*Life Member of the National Registry of Who’s Who, Marquis/Reed (#87561) - 2000
*Who’s Who in the South and Southwest - Marquis/Reed – annually since 1998\
*International Who’s Who, International Biographical Centre, Cambridge – 1991
*President’s Club Sales Award - Vector Marketing - 1990
*Outstanding Young Men of America – 1987
*Outstanding Academic Achievement Award - 1985
*YMCA Community Service to Youth Award - 1983
*Youngest Graduate in the History of North Side High School - 1982
*Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia (Honorary Professional Music Society) - 1983
*National Dean’s List – 1983
*Sigma Zeta (Honorary Science Society) - 1985
About
Just your average husband, father, U.S. Army Special Forces veteran, minister & ER doctor advocating the pursuit of economic and individual freedom.
Biography
Omar L. Hamada, MD, MBA, (FAAFP | FACOG | FICS), USASOC FS & DMO, a heavily decorated veteran, Major of the United States Army Special Forces (ABN), is an accomplished physician and business executive in both civilian and military healthcare markets living in Tennessee with his wife, Dr. Tara Hamada, and their four children. Having served as Officer in Charge of a battalion medical section consisting of eight personnel, 30 Special Forces medics and several dozen Combat Lifesaver personnel, Hamada boasts an extensive, successful military career. Hamada is the founder and CEO of the Hamade' Group LLC and is a current emergency room medical director. Hamada earned a Bachelor of Science in Biology/Chemistry from Union University, a Master of Business Administration from Vanderbilt University, and a Doctorate of Medicine from the University of Tennessee College of Medicine. After graduating medical school, Hamada completed residencies at the University of Tennessee, in both Family Medicine and in Obstetrics & Gynecology. He was also granted a Fellowship in Sports Medicine for his years served in the United States Army Special Forces, (ABN) as a Flight Surgeon and Diving Medical Officer. In 1992, Hamada was ordained as a minister and is currently working towards achieving a Master of Theology from Columbia Biblical Seminary. In his spare time, Hamada is active at the family's Church (Fellowship Bible), is a classically trained spinto tenor, and plays classical and jazz trumpet.
Old 21 April 2016, 23:22
BT,WBTWC

And this is from his second web site ...

Quote:
Personal Information

Omar Hamada, born in Tallahassee, Florida of Lebanese immigrant parents, has a singular passion – liberating the oppressed by changing hearts and minds, and thus the way people think and act, for the sake of the Kingdom of Christ.

Omar’s depth of experience encompasses the worlds of Academics (Associate Professor at the U of TN COM and Vanderbilt COM), the US Military/Government (MAJ, US Army Special Forces), Fortune 100 Corporations (HCA and Pfizer), and several Small Business/ Entrepreneurial ventures where he served as CEO, CMO, President, and Principal.

The breadth and depth of Omar’s personal and professional experiences can be mainly categorized by “The 6 M’s”: Marriage, MBA, Medicine, Military, Ministry, and Music.

About
Designed Mastery

Biography
Combine Billy Graham, Tony Robbins, Jack Bauer, Chris Botti, Mario Lanza, and James Bond all in one and you get Omar Hamada. A true renaissance man, willing to say what most don't, and encourages you to join in conversation.
Old 22 April 2016, 01:48

Phi Mu Alpha - Once a Sinfonian, Always a Sinfonian. Long live Sinfonia!
(for you musical nerds out there).

He and I would have joined the same year - unless he's stealing musical valor.
Old 22 April 2016, 05:37
Confirmed User

Hmm, reminds me of "The Warrior Monk" in Afghanistan. Had to listen to that Assclown tell me about all the dozens of women he was courting and of how he had trekked through the stans fighting the Soviets with the Muj back in the 80's. Some of the soldiers ate it up, saw him as a stud. All I saw was a short dicked souvenir shopper.
Old 22 April 2016, 05:57
Been There Done That

High School

High School in 82, college stuff in 83 & 84.

SF Tab orders were issued to guys on Teams in 84.

People graduating the Q Course in 84 were 18 series and had the SF Tab.

I notice the Special Forces Tab is missing from his awards.

Special Forces Combat Patch? (Note - this is not to bad mouth support troops - which provide a valuable service) Anybody assigned under an SF unit in a combat zone gets one.

To me his bio reads like a Group Surgeon or something similar.
Old 22 April 2016, 06:38
Another pool cleaner

I think he cured death.
Old 22 April 2016, 08:31
Old Scroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKAPete View Post

Special Forces Combat Patch? (Note - this is not to bad mouth support troops - which provide a valuable service) Anybody assigned under an SF unit in a combat zone gets one.
You don’t have to be assigned at all... attached works. I don't have the uniform reg to refer to, but it's lax enough that guys doing a year deployment with an ID who supported SF for a week are legally sporting electric butter knifes because... cool.

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 22 April 2016, 08:37
Authorized Personnel

Unless he's lying about other things in his biography, he sounds like a very accomplished man who has achieved a lot in a short life so far. Why would he lie about this one thing and fuck all of that up?

Or maybe he's lying about other stuff too...

I have observed many non-SF soldiers wearing the SF patch on their right arm, but I have only discussed it with a few of them, none of whom knew I had any military background. The ones I did talk to about it were honest about their service and didn't claim to be SF, but to a man they were all VERY proud to have supported SF soldiers. Just my observation.
Old 22 April 2016, 08:44
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by B 2/75 View Post
You don’t have to be assigned at all... attached works. I don't have the uniform reg to refer to, but it's lax enough that guys doing a year deployment with an ID who supported SF for a week are legally sporting electric butter knifes because... cool.
Didn't want to get into all that assigned, attached, op con and tac com stuff.

Although I always did like to know who was feeding me. :)
Old 22 April 2016, 10:23
Been There Done That

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0699 View Post
Unless he's lying about other things in his biography, he sounds like a very accomplished man who has achieved a lot in a short life so far. Why would he lie about this one thing and fuck all of that up?

Or maybe he's lying about other stuff too...
Let's not up and accuse the man of lying. He seems to have served as a battalion surgeon in Group. This thread does not need to devolve into a bunch of speculation about the doctor.
Old 22 April 2016, 16:08
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin View Post
Let's not up and accuse the man of lying. He seems to have served as a battalion surgeon in Group. This thread does not need to devolve into a bunch of speculation about the doctor.
Good point. Thank you for the correction. My understanding was that claiming one was "Special Forces" implied completion of Special Forces training and awarding of the SF tab. I should not have jumped to conclusions.
Old 22 April 2016, 16:33
Old Scroll

I'm a good example... assigned to 5th Group for a year, working at first at 51 and then the COSOTF, spending almost the whole year in Iraq. I'm certainly not SF, and have only one authorized combat patch.

Perimeter security folk from the 10th ID were assigned to their unit, the 38th INF, but we're supporting SF for the duration. Pretty much only the company commander and his lieutenants wore the 10th Mountain patch on the right, all the troops put on the SF patch.

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 22 April 2016, 17:08
Preparing to defend

I was a support puke in 5th Group. Last of the Flight Platoons. That 3 years was the high light of a 25 year career. I, too, would also have an SF Combat Patch, if the 160th hadn't decided we needed adult leadership in 89. Then along came DS/DS, and WE left HOP for HAAF, to go to KKMC. With 5th Grp.

All sorts of shit is possible. Met a guy today, who said he went to Grenada, attached to the 82nd. From Ft. Stewart. Don't know if I believe him, but it is possible.

One of our Flt Surgeons in 5th, even came over with us to 3/160. He was an Astronaut candidate named Hadley. Some of you old 5grp guys may remember him.
Old 22 April 2016, 17:18
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
your post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdogonroad View Post
your post.
And I'm willing to bet neither of you has ever claimed to be a Special Forces veteran. In my ignorant opinion, claiming to be a Special Forces veteran implies that one is Special Forces qualified.
Old 22 April 2016, 19:34
RIP SOTB

Quote:
My nephew was a boot PFC tank driver. Just before deploying to A’stan they were told they were now infantry and tanks were staying stateside. His platoon was part of Task Force Iron Ranger. He was attached to 1st Group, than a SEAL Team, then 3rd Group. He was authorized the SF Combat Patch which he wore once when he got back to Ft Riley. His SgtM “suggested” they remove it and I think it was replaced by the Big Red 1 but that’s me speaking.
Old 22 April 2016, 20:01
Been There Done That

As regards the Shoulder Sleeve Insignia-Former Wartime Service (commonly called a combat patch), AR 670-1 Para 21-17 dictates the following:

(7) Soldiers of all Army components (Active, ARNG, and USAR) who deploy during periods of service designated
for wear of the SSI-FWTS are authorized to wear a SSI-FWTS. There are no time-in-theater requirements for
authorization to wear the SSI-FWTS. Soldiers may not earn more than one SSI-FWTS during the same deployment.
(a) A deployed unit (company or higher) will wear its unit SSI as the SSI-FWTS, regardless of the headquarters
element deploying and the unit alignment or OPCON during the period of deployment.

(b) A deployed unit will not wear its assigned SSI as its SSI-FWTS when the SSI belongs to a major command,
such as an ACOM/ASCC/DRU or State Area Command, or a non-deployable unit. In such cases, the unit will wear the
SSI of the lowest echelon Army unit (company or higher) in the deployed chain of command as the SSI-FWTS. When
there is no intermediate unit (company or higher) in the deployed chain of command, these deployed Soldiers will wear
the SSI of the senior command in the theater as its SSI-FWTS.
(c) When echelons below company level (such as teams or squads) deploy, members of these units will wear the
SSI of the lowest echelon deployed Army unit (company or higher) in the deployed chain of command (based on
written orders) as the SSI-FWTS. When there is no intermediate unit (company or higher) in the deployed chain of
command, these deployed Soldiers will wear the SSI of the senior command in the theater as its SSI-FWTS.
(d) Individual Soldiers who are attached (to include OPCON, cross-leveled, assigned, or augmenting deployed units)
will wear the same SSI-FWTS worn by members of the deployed Army unit (company or higher) to which attached by
written orders. A Soldier who is further attached (to one or more units) during one deployment will only wear the SSIFWTS
for the first Army unit (company or higher) to which attached by written orders. Soldiers who deploy with their
unit (company level or higher) will wear the SSI-FWTS as outlined in paragraph 21–17a(7)(a), regardless how many
times they are further attached to other units as individuals or teams. Members of trial defense and Criminal
Investigation Division Command will wear the SSI of their respective commands as their SSI-FWTS.

There is a misconception amongst the uninformed/illiterate that soldiers are provided latitude in choosing which SSI-FWTS they wear. The regulation is unambiguous.

Since there are no orders cut for the SSI-FWTS, soldiers get away with wearing SSI-FWTS that they are not entitled to wear, as the burden of proof would rest on the accuser.

Regardless, lots of soldiers wear a "cool" SSI-FWTS that they are not entitled to wear.

HOWEVER...for the purposes of THIS THREAD, since the doctor appears to have deployed with a SF unit as their surgeon, he is entitled to wear the Special Forces SSI-FWTS.

That is all. This thread is in the Special Forces area. I believe that Special Forces-qualified members here have addressed the issue of this thread. The doctor may have served with a SF unit, but he is not a Special Forces soldier.
Old 22 April 2016, 20:23
Been There Done That

I don't know this guy but in the early '80s (BT, Before Tab) the Groups sent some of the support Os through the SFQC. On my RS team we had the 10th Group dentist, the 5th Group surgeon, and a 7th Group help pilot. They earned and wore the beret during SF assignments.

The pilot flew my ODA around in Honduras. And I ran into the surgeon several times in my career. The Os never went to an ODA but they were SF qualified.
Old 22 April 2016, 20:52
Been There Done That

This guy appears to be post-9/11, He does not list a SF tab in his quals, and he lists EVERYTHING...including the "Alabama National Guard Faithful Service Medal with Bronze Saint Andrews Cross" and the "Tennessee National Guard Individual Achievement Ribbon." I am pretty comfortable stating that he would let the reader know if he had earned a green beanie...self-promotion is not a skill he lacks.

Our new posting rules