SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Movies and TV

Old 12 February 2019, 14:37
If you don't smell ozone, the radiation won't kill you before next week.

I think country music had already started to go to shit when TV cowboys like Gene Autry were the rage in the 1950s, and the rhinestone studded outfits of Porter Wagoner demonstrated that country music's commercial popularity had turned Nashville into Hollywood East in the 1960s. By the time HeeHaw was on TV in the 1970s, it was already poking fun at days gone by. Way back in the 1930s, Jimmie Rodgers was at the turning point of country going commercial. There hasn't been very much authenticity since then outside of bluegrass gospel except for a few outliers like early Loretta Lynn.

"I agree that his intentions are suspect, and that he likely needs to die...." - SOTB

"Just a lone patriot acting alone at a fulcrum point, ideally in a deniable fashion. A perpetrator of accidents." - Magician
Old 12 February 2019, 15:39
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET1/ss nuke View Post
I think country music had already started to go to shit when TV cowboys like Gene Autry were the rage in the 1950s, and the rhinestone studded outfits of Porter Wagoner demonstrated that country music's commercial popularity had turned Nashville into Hollywood East in the 1960s. By the time HeeHaw was on TV in the 1970s, it was already poking fun at days gone by. Way back in the 1930s, Jimmie Rodgers was at the turning point of country going commercial. There hasn't been very much authenticity since then outside of bluegrass gospel except for a few outliers like early Loretta Lynn.
Agree with everything stated, with one exception...You failed to mention The Carter Family. And one of the least known, great guitarists--Mother Maybelle. Hard ass sonsabitches back then....
Old 12 February 2019, 15:46
Been There Done That

Just to clarify on Mother Maybelle:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carter_Family_picking
Old 12 February 2019, 22:38
If you don't smell ozone, the radiation won't kill you before next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mingo Kane View Post
You failed to mention The Carter Family.
They would definitely be among the outliers.

"I agree that his intentions are suspect, and that he likely needs to die...." - SOTB

"Just a lone patriot acting alone at a fulcrum point, ideally in a deniable fashion. A perpetrator of accidents." - Magician
Old 13 February 2019, 04:13
Been There Done That

But Bob Wills is still the king, to quote Waylon
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical and radical minority, rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Old 13 February 2019, 05:44
Confirmed User

Tyler Mahan Coe, son of David Allan Coe, has some interesting podcasts on country music history. The series is titled "Cocaine and Rhinestones". It gives a little peak inside the lives and careers of some who influenced what country music has become.
https://cocaineandrhinestones.com/
Old 13 February 2019, 10:23
Going cyclic!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET1/ss nuke View Post
I agree to a certain degree. C & W music obviously has done a transition over the years. Not sure why the 70's decided they needed rhinestones, etc. But, there were some good stars from that era.
Glen Campbell, for all his 'pop' crossover, was a great guitarist and a true C & W star IMHO. Same for Roy Clark and Buck Owens.
I do agree 100% that the Shania Twain's of the business ruined C & W music and set it on a dark path, lol.
Old 13 February 2019, 11:16
Been There Done That

Dixie Chicks...
Old 13 February 2019, 15:43
Going cyclic!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mingo Kane View Post
Dixie Chicks...
sad thing is, they had a couple decent songs. But, other than that, they can go beat their faces
Old 13 February 2019, 15:59
Holy Diver

No mention of the GOAT, Chris LeDoux?

It's been all down hill since he passed.
Old 14 February 2019, 13:11
Aww F**K it

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC View Post
No mention of the GOAT, Chris LeDoux?

It's been all down hill since he passed.
I would agree. I met him a couple times. Very cool dude. His son Ned lives not that far away from us.

Turnpike Troubadours, Cody Jinks, Cody Johnson, Aaron Watson are on my playlist right now.

For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil. Romans 13:4
Old 14 February 2019, 15:40
Going cyclic!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsUp View Post
I would agree. I met him a couple times. Very cool dude. His son Ned lives not that far away from us.

Turnpike Troubadours, Cody Jinks, Cody Johnson, Aaron Watson are on my playlist right now.
Ned comes out and plays in a little roadhouse west of Omaha now and again. He's actually coming to Fremont in APR for a concert after the bullriding. Just bought my tickets
Another good singer that is old school. Adam Lee & The Deadhorse Band.
Old 14 February 2019, 15:47
Going cyclic!!

Quote:

damn, just saw that the TT is in Lincoln tonight. Wish I would have known that before
Old 14 February 2019, 23:15
Confirmed User

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdawg View Post
damn, just saw that the TT is in Lincoln tonight. Wish I would have known that before
Haven't seen them love but they're pretty good. Not sure how they haven't ended up on the radio.
Old Yesterday, 00:13
Holy Diver

Quote:
I’m not really a cult of personality type of guy but I’ll admit many of his songs shaped some of my attitudes as a young man. He lived a fascinating life and had a great way of describing those things in life that are both good and hard.

Especially Copenhagen Junkie.

Our new posting rules