SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Fitness

Old 3 February 2012, 12:43
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by chokeu2 View Post
Vibram Five Fingers.

Never again will I purchase "running shoes" after getting down with the VFF's.
Ditto. Though, I kick around in the NB Minimus Trails...
Old 3 February 2012, 14:55
Fan ar an gcosán

Quote:
Five Fingers users
What was the transition like going from traditional running show to the five fingers? They seem like they would slap the survace more than a traditional shoe.
Old 3 February 2012, 16:11

I’m going to start using a pair of Nike Lunars I bought on sale awhile back.
Old 3 February 2012, 17:17
Involuntary Yoga Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc P View Post
What was the transition like going from traditional running show to the five fingers? They seem like they would slap the survace more than a traditional shoe.
That is a reasonable assumption, but you would be surprised. There is a mental aspect that instinctively occur the moment you start wearing these shoes and walking around in them. It automatically dawns on you that you are, for all intents and purposes are walking around barefoot. That little bit of rubber still allows you to feel everything you step on.

What that translates to when you run is that you run like your barefoot. Hence the name. So you look for rocks, glass, etc. And most importantly, you start running the way your body was designed to run; and that is not with your heel slapping the ground. It is more of a mid-strike, or towards the ball of your foot so that your Achilles and your calf act as the shock absorbers that they were meant to be.

For me, as good a runner as I used to be, it felt like I got my ass kicked after every run. In the VFF's, it feels like I just had a great workout.

Now, that said, you need to build up the muscular endurance to run in these things. Shoes have made our running muscles weak. And your first week running in VFF's are going to be hard. You're going to wake some stuff up that has been asleep most of your life.

Once your about a week or two in, you probably will not go back to running shoes.

Plyometric or gym workout's, wear em. Allows you to work stabilizers.

If they made a dress shoe version, I'd buy those too.

"Let's make this weird", ~Mike2CW
Old 3 February 2012, 22:01
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc P View Post
What was the transition like going from traditional running show to the five fingers?
Transition for me...I ran super slow (no faster than a 9:00 mile pace) for a few months just to get accustomed to the different feel. As I started to gain more confidence, get more comfortable with the different sensation, I increased the pace gradually...I have had more than a few friends of mine fuck themselves up trying to run at a race pace with their cool new kicks on without getting a proper feel for them. I also stopped wearing sneakers to the gym when I first got them just to get past the akward feeling of having material in between your toes; weird at first...

Biggest thing the 5 fingers did for me was damn near eliminate my heal strike. My heals do make contact with the ground but it is more of a brush than any kind of strike. Calves got a lot stronger (faster) and knee pain when running longer distances was greatly reduced...

Abraham Lincoln
Old 4 February 2012, 17:25
Confirmed User

Quote:
If you're looking for casuals, check out this site. The sizing chart is spot on...for me at least.
Old 4 February 2012, 18:32
Confirmed User

Quote:
Not a 5 finger but take a look at Merrel Tough Gloves. Come in black and brown leather...

Abraham Lincoln
Old 4 February 2012, 22:05
Legal Immigrant

Quote:
Vibram Five Fingers.

+1.

Being injury-free for the first time in approx 8 years is damn enjoyable.
Old 14 February 2012, 11:03

Quote:
That is a reasonable assumption, but you would be surprised. There is a mental aspect that instinctively occur the moment you start wearing these shoes and walking around in them. It automatically dawns on you that you are, for all intents and purposes are walking around barefoot. That little bit of rubber still allows you to feel everything you step on.

What that translates to when you run is that you run like your barefoot. Hence the name. So you look for rocks, glass, etc. And most importantly, you start running the way your body was designed to run; and that is not with your heel slapping the ground. It is more of a mid-strike, or towards the ball of your foot so that your Achilles and your calf act as the shock absorbers that they were meant to be.

For me, as good a runner as I used to be, it felt like I got my ass kicked after every run. In the VFF's, it feels like I just had a great workout.

Now, that said, you need to build up the muscular endurance to run in these things. Shoes have made our running muscles weak. And your first week running in VFF's are going to be hard. You're going to wake some stuff up that has been asleep most of your life.

Once your about a week or two in, you probably will not go back to running shoes.

Plyometric or gym workout's, wear em. Allows you to work stabilizers.

Chokeu2,

I was really curious as to why these have become such a trend. Now I know! Have you seen decreased run times on your 2 mile at all after using these? I've been hesitant to purchase a pair but I may just try it out now.

I currently run with a pair of Sauconys, I believe thats how its spelled. I love their transitions and they seem to last a decent amount of time.
Old 14 February 2012, 17:04
Involuntary Yoga Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by crusader.weber View Post
Chokeu2,

I was really curious as to why these have become such a trend. Now I know! Have you seen decreased run times on your 2 mile at all after using these? I've been hesitant to purchase a pair but I may just try it out now.

I currently run with a pair of Sauconys, I believe thats how its spelled. I love their transitions and they seem to last a decent amount of time.
At first, my run times actually increased! But that was because I started using muscles that have been dormat for God knows how long. However, after about the second week, not only did I have an easier time running the same distance, I "felt" stronger, the run was easier, and it felt like I did a work out; not like the road kicked my ass feet first.

That said, you will also experience muscle growth/development in your achilles and your calves over all. That same development will occur in your quads as well, since they'll become more like the pistons that they were intended to be.

You'll find that you end up wearing them as often as possible. In doing that, you will then find that you're less fatigued during the times that you are on your feet.

Go for it.

Old 14 February 2012, 18:04
Wrapped in the comfort of dark waters

Salomon Speedcross 3, Addidas Kanadia, and Merrill Barefoot glove

I have about 11 pairs but these are the top three that I currently train in. I'm training for a winter Ultra and taking these with.

The Speedcross 3 are incredible. Although, not good for the road, they are the 4X4 of the trail. Light, responsive, and smooth, they are aggressive off road and light giving your great turn over.

The Addidas Kanadia are aggressive in snow and mud. They are truly mud slingers and attack the terrain with its aggressive tread. I train on hilly terrain with lots of snow in the winter and these shoes are perfect.

Merrill Barefoot glove, to me, are better than 5 fingers. I have a pair of 5 fingers that are great, but not so much on trails with technical terrain. The MBG encases the entire feet with the same benefits of the 5 Fingers. Furthermore, the reenforce strike plate on the ball of the shoe allow for a more aggressive and comfortable acceleration without the added stress on the joint in the feet.

The MBG enables me to stay on the forefront of my feet which allows quicker turnovers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thumbnail.aspx.jpg (9.2 KB, 179 views)
File Type: jpg addidas.jpg (15.1 KB, 179 views)
File Type: jpg merrill gloves.jpg (8.1 KB, 179 views)

Last edited by Zulu6; 14 February 2012 at 18:06. Reason: grammer
Old 14 February 2012, 20:42
Calculating Infinity...

Just picked up some Nike Vomero 6s last week and I really like them. I tried transitioning to a mid-foot strike for about a month and a half and while it felt more natural, my recovery times after runs were twice as long and weren't getting any shorter.

A job I'm I'm applying for requires me to work on my running now and I don't have the time I thought I would have to work on the mid-foot strike. Oh well, if you're going to heel-strike, at least do it with some of the most pillowy damn shoes on the market.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vomero 6.jpg (17.8 KB, 177 views)
Old 14 February 2012, 21:55
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger275 View Post
Brooks Glycerin.
Now it's Brooks Pure Flow.
Old 15 February 2012, 12:26

@chokeu2

Sounds like I'm going to have to try them out! Going to see what the policy is on KAF if we're allowed to use them for running the boardwalk. If not I'll just wear them in the prison gym!

Thanks for the info!
Old 15 February 2012, 15:28
Legal Immigrant

Quote:
Originally Posted by crusader.weber View Post
@chokeu2

Sounds like I'm going to have to try them out! Going to see what the policy is on KAF if we're allowed to use them for running the boardwalk. If not I'll just wear them in the prison gym!

Thanks for the info!
FYI - There's a fairly lengthy thread on the VFF subject...
Old 15 February 2012, 15:59
Confirmed User

Nike Zoom Structure Triax

Chokeu2, how are you? Thanks for that write up. I think I will try those. They look really comfortable and I like the concept.

H
Old 16 February 2012, 17:43

Brooks cadence. Good light shoe for someone with shin splints. I have to replace "good" shoes every 300-500 miles or shin splints really start to kick my ass. I have put about 100 miles on these. I run around 20 miles a week, up to 10 miles at a time and these seem to be good so far.
Old 16 February 2012, 21:31

For the Gym and River:

For Road and some trail:

For Trail/training:

For Race:

(although I do sometimes use my other road shoe above for race as well.
All of these are solid shoes and highly recommend.Especially the Solomans,The INOV8's are "love'em or hate them"
There are many great shoes out so its just personal pref.
Old 16 February 2012, 21:34

Quote:
Vibram Five Fingers.

I think the VFF is ok...some love them ,as you I see.As long as you dont wear them everywhere you go like many "Dorks" out there....lol

Last edited by camp3r; 16 February 2012 at 21:35. Reason: Grammar
Old 16 February 2012, 22:00
Involuntary Yoga Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by camp3r View Post
I think the VFF is ok...some love them ,as you I see.As long as you dont wear them everywhere you go like many "Dorks" out there....lol
Yea, I do.

And thanks for telling me what not to do, because I guess I'm one of the "dorks" out there.

Is it okay with you if I wear them with shorts in the summer?

Our new posting rules