SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Fitness

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #41  
Old 1 February 2005, 18:34
90mm 90mm is offline
Confirmed User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Great NW
Posts: 68
I was a kinder, gentler AT section leader...my tiny feet trying to fill the giant boots of Sgt. Pick.

I'd run our section in formation until we got out into the woods. Then I'd set an RP and let the boys run a couple miles at their own pace.

The gazelles would take off at sub 6:00 min/mile pace and my gorillas would knuckledrag at 8:00 min/miles. We'd meet up at the RP and return to the barracks in tight formation. Command never knew our secret.
  #42  
Old 7 February 2005, 04:28
BadMuther BadMuther is offline
Confirmed User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: outside of Raleigh, NC
Posts: 1,726
Whoever the guy was that owns crossfit and called my cel, inviting me to San Jose-shoot me an email or something with the info.
__________________
Custom made Ranger tactical gear
http://www.beartactical.net
  #43  
Old 17 February 2005, 18:20
Polypro's Avatar
Polypro Polypro is offline
BTDT
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: A Noisy Bar In Avalon
Posts: 14,704
How'd I miss this? Crossfit will smoke your bags (Or I should say the movements/time hack will...a lot of others do this stuff too: Furey, Enamait, Peterson. Crossfit just came up with a name and a package, but it's free if you dig around the site). Try it. Try Tabata Squats: As many as you can do in 20 sec's...rest 10 sec's, repeat... 8 sets. Start with no weight :) Guy's, we fought and won wars with the old stuff...doesn't mean it was good, just adequate. Hell, they want to go back to a WWII style PT test because nobody does pushups in combat...well, prone under a truck, but that's just one. Unless you REALLY study modern exercise physiology and supplementation, you have no idea how far we've come. More fit, less injuries. Some stuff we did was plain stupid.

P
__________________
United States - Pop ~331 Million.

"Team Apocalypse"

COVID-19 Deaths: 2,229
2018 Handgun Murders: 6,603
Annual Stair Fall Deaths: 12,000

Economy Wasn't Destroyed For:
2009 "Swine Flu" Deaths: 12,000
2017/2018 Influenza Deaths: 61,000

"From 12 April 2009 to 10 April 2010, we estimate that approximately 60.8 million cases (range: 43.389.3 million), 274,304 hospitalizations (195,086402,719), and 12,469 deaths (8,86818,306) occurred in the United States due to H1N1".

  #44  
Old 17 February 2005, 18:40
90mm 90mm is offline
Confirmed User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Great NW
Posts: 68
And...
Some hundred year old strongman methods of training are coming back into fashion, i.e. brief efforts, not done to failure, with heavy weights.

And some old time tools, like kettlebells. There's a lot of "new" stuff that's worth a try.
  #45  
Old 17 February 2005, 19:04
Polypro's Avatar
Polypro Polypro is offline
BTDT
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: A Noisy Bar In Avalon
Posts: 14,704
I've got a 12 and 16lb sledge...and a tire:)

P
__________________
United States - Pop ~331 Million.

"Team Apocalypse"

COVID-19 Deaths: 2,229
2018 Handgun Murders: 6,603
Annual Stair Fall Deaths: 12,000

Economy Wasn't Destroyed For:
2009 "Swine Flu" Deaths: 12,000
2017/2018 Influenza Deaths: 61,000

"From 12 April 2009 to 10 April 2010, we estimate that approximately 60.8 million cases (range: 43.389.3 million), 274,304 hospitalizations (195,086402,719), and 12,469 deaths (8,86818,306) occurred in the United States due to H1N1".

  #46  
Old 17 February 2005, 19:34
90mm 90mm is offline
Confirmed User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Great NW
Posts: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polypro
I've got a 12 and 16lb sledge...and a tire:)

P
Sounds like good stress reduction therapy...
...and a viable martial art. :D
  #47  
Old 17 February 2005, 23:44
Polypro's Avatar
Polypro Polypro is offline
BTDT
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: A Noisy Bar In Avalon
Posts: 14,704
http://www.warriorforce.com/rossboxingvideoclip.wmv

P
__________________
United States - Pop ~331 Million.

"Team Apocalypse"

COVID-19 Deaths: 2,229
2018 Handgun Murders: 6,603
Annual Stair Fall Deaths: 12,000

Economy Wasn't Destroyed For:
2009 "Swine Flu" Deaths: 12,000
2017/2018 Influenza Deaths: 61,000

"From 12 April 2009 to 10 April 2010, we estimate that approximately 60.8 million cases (range: 43.389.3 million), 274,304 hospitalizations (195,086402,719), and 12,469 deaths (8,86818,306) occurred in the United States due to H1N1".

  #48  
Old 18 February 2005, 19:39
Debaser Debaser is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 23
Agreed. While running, rucking etc. are important, there seems to be an undeserved emphasis on pushups, flutter-kicks etc.

While some of this is important for GPP (General Physical Preparedness), the Military might consider some other exercises and routines, and would do well to consult an elite organization, such as Athlete's Performance, overseen by Mark Verstegen. A quick aside--some of you might want to pick up his book "Core Performance" as it the most balanced approach to physical performance I have ever seen.

If I were running across brutal terrain, I'd be a lot more concerned with muscle balance than my ability to perform 140 pushups. The reason? Many of the spills and injuries people encounter are because of joint dysfunction--their bodies aren't absorbing shock and stabilizing correctly.

Food for thought from a wannabe.
  #49  
Old 19 February 2005, 01:34
Wells Wells is offline
Confirmed User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 68
Hell's Bells

Another Crossfit workout...

Hell's Bells (you'll be hearing them in your head soon enough):

100 Dead Hang Pull-ups
100 Push-ups
100 Sit-ups
100 Tabata Bodyweight Squats


My best time: 17:11

Here is the breakdown:

00:00 Start
10:03 100 Dead Hang Pull-Ups Completed
11:44 100 Push-Ups Completed
13:53 100 Bent Knee Sit-Ups Completed
17:11 100 Tabata Squats Completed
  #50  
Old 19 February 2005, 01:52
Wells Wells is offline
Confirmed User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 68
Guerilla Cardio

Try this... it only takes four minutes:

Guerilla Cardio

After completing this you'll be introduced to the crawl, stagger, and dry heave sets.

Good luck!
  #51  
Old 19 February 2005, 16:27
collin0321 collin0321 is offline
Confirmed User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: CONUS
Posts: 64
Guerilla Cardio...........

That same cardio plan was in the Men's Health issue with the "Rock" on the cover. He said that he did the same cardio plan to lean down for his last movie.
  #52  
Old 20 February 2005, 02:02
BadMuther BadMuther is offline
Confirmed User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: outside of Raleigh, NC
Posts: 1,726
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debaser
Agreed. While running, rucking etc. are important, there seems to be an undeserved emphasis on pushups, flutter-kicks etc.

While some of this is important for GPP (General Physical Preparedness), the Military might consider some other exercises and routines, and would do well to consult an elite organization, such as Athlete's Performance, overseen by Mark Verstegen. A quick aside--some of you might want to pick up his book "Core Performance" as it the most balanced approach to physical performance I have ever seen.

If I were running across brutal terrain, I'd be a lot more concerned with muscle balance than my ability to perform 140 pushups. The reason? Many of the spills and injuries people encounter are because of joint dysfunction--their bodies aren't absorbing shock and stabilizing correctly.

Food for thought from a wannabe.



Why don't you concentrate on graduating first before commenting on what the military should do?
__________________
Custom made Ranger tactical gear
http://www.beartactical.net
  #53  
Old 20 February 2005, 02:35
Debaser Debaser is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadMuther


Why don't you concentrate on graduating first before commenting on what the military should do?
I'm sorry bro, and you have my respect, but this is my current career. I'm making the move to the 18X contract but functional anatomy, performance and Neuromuscular therapies are my domain. I know what I'm talking about. It doesn't matter if it's the Military, football, or a nursing home. The human body has the same design.
  #54  
Old 20 February 2005, 02:46
Doctor_Doom Doctor_Doom is offline
Authorized Personnel
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: CONUS
Posts: 2,419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells
Another Crossfit workout...

Hell's Bells (you'll be hearing them in your head soon enough):

100 Dead Hang Pull-ups
100 Push-ups
100 Sit-ups
100 Tabata Bodyweight Squats


My best time: 17:11

Here is the breakdown:

00:00 Start
10:03 100 Dead Hang Pull-Ups Completed
11:44 100 Push-Ups Completed
13:53 100 Bent Knee Sit-Ups Completed
17:11 100 Tabata Squats Completed
Hey Wells, hope you are well, and all settled in.

Keee-rist... I can do all of these fine, but I can't do 100 pullups in 2 days,much less 10 minutes.

I have a long way to go...
  #55  
Old 20 February 2005, 02:56
BadMuther BadMuther is offline
Confirmed User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: outside of Raleigh, NC
Posts: 1,726
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debaser
I'm sorry bro, and you have my respect, but this is my current career. I'm making the move to the 18X contract but functional anatomy, performance and Neuromuscular therapies are my domain. I know what I'm talking about. It doesn't matter if it's the Military, football, or a nursing home. The human body has the same design.
Dude, you want a cookie for being a college student???????

There's theory and practice. You are running off of theory.

Nothing worse then a know-it-all college student who has yet to prove himself.

I've read your posts here on socnet. They reek of a knowitall, I can do it better attitude.

The military doesn't need you to tell them what is applicable as far as combat fitness.

Sorry bro, I come here to read differing views from military vets about military stuff, not the 2 cents of someone who has yet to complete basic training.
__________________
Custom made Ranger tactical gear
http://www.beartactical.net
  #56  
Old 20 February 2005, 07:12
Wells Wells is offline
Confirmed User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor_Doom
Hey Wells, hope you are well, and all settled in.

Keee-rist... I can do all of these fine, but I can't do 100 pullups in 2 days,much less 10 minutes.

I have a long way to go...
What's up Doc???

All is well here in the triangle... Lots of PT...
  #57  
Old 20 February 2005, 08:44
Debaser Debaser is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadMuther
Dude, you want a cookie for being a college student???????

There's theory and practice. You are running off of theory.

Nothing worse then a know-it-all college student who has yet to prove himself.

I've read your posts here on socnet. They reek of a knowitall, I can do it better attitude.

The military doesn't need you to tell them what is applicable as far as combat fitness.

Sorry bro, I come here to read differing views from military vets about military stuff, not the 2 cents of someone who has yet to complete basic training.
I'm not running on theory alone. My best friend is in the Marine Corps, and I've worked on others in the Military. Many of you have similar joint dysfunctions. All have been grateful for the treatment and knowledge I've provided them. If you're not interested, fine, but this is a thread that was started about crossfit, a physical training regimen. That IS my domain, theory AND practice. I'll fully admit that you know more about the life of a Ranger, but you somehow think that I don't know what I'm talking about in regards to training? Now, who sounds like the know-it-all in that case?

I'm not trying to cause friction, bro. But your questioning my knowledge in this department would be like me questioning your ability as a soldier.
  #58  
Old 20 February 2005, 15:24
BadMuther BadMuther is offline
Confirmed User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: outside of Raleigh, NC
Posts: 1,726
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debaser
I'm not running on theory alone. My best friend is in the Marine Corps, and I've worked on others in the Military. Many of you have similar joint dysfunctions. All have been grateful for the treatment and knowledge I've provided them. If you're not interested, fine, but this is a thread that was started about crossfit, a physical training regimen. That IS my domain, theory AND practice. I'll fully admit that you know more about the life of a Ranger, but you somehow think that I don't know what I'm talking about in regards to training? Now, who sounds like the know-it-all in that case?

I'm not trying to cause friction, bro. But your questioning my knowledge in this department would be like me questioning your ability as a soldier.
Then state your experience then college boy. "My best friend is in the Marine Corps" doesn't count. I'd really like to hear what makes you a subject matter expert and why we all (and the military) should listen to you about military PT. And don't BS either.
__________________
Custom made Ranger tactical gear
http://www.beartactical.net

Last edited by BadMuther; 20 February 2005 at 15:34.
  #59  
Old 20 February 2005, 17:20
Debaser Debaser is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadMuther
Then state your experience then college boy. "My best friend is in the Marine Corps" doesn't count. I'd really like to hear what makes you a subject matter expert and why we all (and the military) should listen to you about military PT. And don't BS either.
Certifications/training:
Massage Therapist, soon to be Nationally board-certified
Neuromuscular therapy
Sports Massage
Medical Massage, shoulder girdle, spine, lower extremities, abdominal wall
A.R.T. - Spine protocols
M.R.T.
Functional Anatomy

I still believe you're missing my point though. The fact that it's Military PT is irrelevent. The human body is the human body. A lot of you get shin splints, do you ever wonder why? Achy knees? Shoulder pain? It's all related, and for the most part, can be treated or prevented. Ever trip, get caught off balance and take a spill? Often this is due to your joints not stabilizing correctly and your perception in space (which is hampered by cervical kyphosis). And if your joints are bearing load correctly, you'll absorb the shock with a dysfunctional frame, and be far more likely to injure yourself.
  #60  
Old 20 February 2005, 17:38
BadMuther BadMuther is offline
Confirmed User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: outside of Raleigh, NC
Posts: 1,726
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debaser
Certifications/training:
Massage Therapist, soon to be Nationally board-certified
Neuromuscular therapy
Sports Massage
Medical Massage, shoulder girdle, spine, lower extremities, abdominal wall
A.R.T. - Spine protocols
M.R.T.
Functional Anatomy

I still believe you're missing my point though. The fact that it's Military PT is irrelevent. The human body is the human body. A lot of you get shin splints, do you ever wonder why? Achy knees? Shoulder pain? It's all related, and for the most part, can be treated or prevented. Ever trip, get caught off balance and take a spill? Often this is due to your joints not stabilizing correctly and your perception in space (which is hampered by cervical kyphosis). And if your joints are bearing load correctly, you'll absorb the shock with a dysfunctional frame, and be far more likely to injure yourself.

Nope, it's you who are missing my point.

So you are a massage therapist, yet to get National Cert, without a degree. I can see how that makes you a SME. So that puts my buddy's wife about 4 steps above you. She's nationally cert'd, has a degree, and her husband was in the Army, so I think that beats out your cousin's sister's friend's dog's owner once knew somebody in the Marines.

You have a condescending, know-it-all attitude, yet you don't have the life experience to back it up. Which from my point of view, makes your opinions not hold a lot of weight with me. Until you've rucked awhile, your opinions on what the military should or should not do are all speculative opinion.

You state that you are a prospective SF candidate as if that alone gives you some sort of credibility. Tell ya what, don't mind me, keep your outlook on life and see how far it gets you in the military.
__________________
Custom made Ranger tactical gear
http://www.beartactical.net
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Our new posting rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 20:00.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Socnet.com All Rights Reserved
SOCNET 1996-2018