SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Fitness

Old 25 August 2009, 19:56
I aim to misbehave

Quote:
Originally Posted by CV View Post
I intend to use it to slim down and then work on strength training. I was 179 lbs as a rough and tough paratrooper in the prime of my physical shape. I am now 210+ and hating every minute of it.

Roger that...I've thought of using it to slim down, but I REALLY don't think I want to try and slim down before SFAS. Maybe afterwards, but I figure between now and then, I'll probably need the bodyfat.

While true:
Continue
Old 25 August 2009, 20:59
Old Scroll

Snagged the 13 disks and all the documentation (rendered in .pdf) poster, calendar, and the Excel program tracking files off the net in a single day-long torrent session.

The disks are (huge) .avi files that I'll need to convert back to DVD format and burn, but from what I've seen so far it looks pretty good.... well, definitely good enough for a fat / lazy slouch like me to sweat to

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 25 August 2009, 21:47
Authorized Personnel

The way it was explained to me was that P90X is an excellent program to jump-start back into a good exercise regimen - for 90 days. After that you need to move onto something else, as you would be repeating the same exercises and not achieving the same results you did the first time.
"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan
Old 26 August 2009, 08:24
Problem Solver

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14_Loyalist View Post

...I was in pretty good shape when I started this, but boy did the first workout tire me out. I was shaking like Michael J. Fox...
Thanks, M14; I just burned a shitload of calories laughing at that one...

"Oderint, dum metuant" ("Let them hate, so long as they fear") - Caligula

"Those that know don't talk and those that talk don't know."
Old 27 August 2009, 15:24
Confirmed User

If anyone wants to give me their P90X videos for free, Ill take them.

Cuz Im cheap. A few guys I work with us it. They love it.
Old 28 August 2009, 13:12

I completed P90X and really enjoyed it. I am working through P90X(+) and it is a great piece of gear as well. P90X is the most expensive investment (about $130), the P90X(+) is an additional 5 DVD's (about $50) that introduce new programs and use others from the P90X routine as well. Some of the workouts are shorter but more intense with the X(+).
Old 30 August 2009, 02:06
Confirmed User

If you're wanting to slim down I'd recommend Crossfit. Short, sweet, and the competetive vibe rocks. I lost a ton of strength though. Just sayin'..
Old 30 August 2009, 20:50
Ragnar Danneskjold

P90X is a great General Physical Preparation (GPP) program. Especially if you don't have a fucking clue in the gym about what exercises to do, no specific goals, (lose weight and look better is not a specific goal), and can't get a trainer, nor care to spend the time getting educated.

That's not an inherently bad thing.

Crossfit is great, but is way over the top for most people. Granted, anyone can modify it, if they have the time, inclination, and knowledge, and I do so for people all the time, but as written, often the WOD is way beyond what even dedicated gym-goers can handle without a prep phase. That's really my only issue with XFIT. I know a lot of trainers that hate it, but I think that is largely because they are intimidated by the intensity and the "threat."

The other issue I have with generalized programs is the lack of specificity. One of the most critical aspects of fitness is knowing what your goal is, and training to accomplish that. Lose weight and look better in jeans is a goal, but it's not a specific one (and really not even a valid one....). Reducing bodyfat to 12% however, IS a specific goal. Running the "Save the Yuppies" 10K in 40 minutes is a specific goal.

Besides, what you need to do to get to 12% bodyfat (nutrition and exercise) is going to be different that what I need to do (nutrition and less exercise).

Instead of adopting someone else's generalized program, I'd like to see people spend a couple hours reading some valid literature on the subject, and building a program that will work for THEM, to reach THEIR GOALS.
Old 31 August 2009, 17:43
Authorized Personnel

I have specific goals and intend to use this program to get there. If it doesn't work, then I plan to move on. Half the battle (for me) is doing something...
Old 1 September 2009, 15:18
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CV View Post
I have specific goals and intend to use this program to get there. If it doesn't work, then I plan to move on. Half the battle (for me) is doing something...
I don't think it's a bad plan at all.
I do agree with NWPtrainer that specific goals are needed and helpful, but...sometimes having a set progression to take you from shit to suck to bad can help quite a bit. In my own particular case I've recently purchased a beginner, intermediate, advanced jump rope dvd set and a bunch of "PT playing cards" just to help build my work capacity. I'm solid on my lifting, GPP, and SPP. The rope skipping and playing cards give me an easy, no-brainer way to increase overall work capacity.
If you go through with the P90X progression you should have a decent conditioning base from which to build your capabilities from. Why not go for it?
There is no "Holy Grail". Pretty much anything you do will work so long as you progress, and the P90X has that built in. Go for it.

Edit. Okay, pretty much anything is a stretch. I admit it. But the idea behind the statement is true
Old 2 September 2009, 13:28
Psi Brr
Visitor

I've been back in the gym since early May, and I've made some great leaps forward in terms of conditioning and strength. I lost weight, gained some mass, and I'm looking forward to losing more weight. I'm still trying to overcome the lasting effects of 6-7 years of orthopedic injuries, and it's a bite in the ass.

I'm trying to migrate toward Crossfit workouts, though there's still rehabbing to be done. Going slowly sucks, but I just don't want to deal with any more injuries, at least while I'm pursuing top conditioning. I probably won't wrestle competitively again, but I'd like to get back into Aikido, or start studying Krav Maga.

Does anyone have experience using P90x as part of a rehab regimen? If so, what was your experience with it like?
Old 7 September 2009, 12:55
The perpetual trainee

I worked through P90X on rotation earlier this year (Apr-May-Jun) including the diet and enjoyed it overall. The effect of the program was better trimming and better bodyweight mulcular endurance, however.....

Prior to conducting the program I held a reasonable balance of cardiovascular fitness vs muscle strength and endurance and had been right into a routine lifting program for the 4 months immediately prior to starting. Following the first 4 weeks of the program, I changed it around (but kept the diet) as I was losing far too much muscle strength and size so I subsituted the body weight programs for similar exercises involving heavier weights. Now being back from leave and completely back into solid training, I have found that the biggest detriment of the program was a decline in cardiovascular fitness. I am now back to using my own program however I have retained some of the P90X workouts such as Plyometrics and the Ab ripper which I found both beneficial and enjoyable.
Old 7 September 2009, 13:00
Psi Brr
Visitor

Durka62,

That is some solid feedback on the program. I'll take advantage of your insight...
Old 7 September 2009, 16:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by B 2/75 View Post
Snagged the 13 disks and all the documentation (rendered in .pdf) poster, calendar, and the Excel program tracking files off the net in a single day-long torrent session.

The disks are (huge) .avi files that I'll need to convert back to DVD format and burn, but from what I've seen so far it looks pretty good.... well, definitely good enough for a fat / lazy slouch like me to sweat to
Care to share the torrent link? Unless it breaks forum rules, then let me know how dumb i am for asking haha.
Old 15 September 2009, 15:38
Confirmed User

P90X actually works pretty well if you stick to the diet (modify it your needs, stick to the basics of what they are saying in the nutrition guide). I am not an expert at all, but so far i have lost 10 lbs in 3 weeks....i guess that's good.
Old 17 September 2009, 11:28
Fitness Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalup87 View Post
Care to share the torrent link? Unless it breaks forum rules, then let me know how dumb i am for asking haha.
Sorry, no torrent links.
Old 1 June 2010, 05:55
jump fiend

Hey CV, what's the progress?

Just did Day 1 and my shoulders are definitely feeling it.

Is the host kinda gimmicky? A little. Does he make me laugh at his stupidity and enjoy the workout a little more? Sure.

I'll keep you posted.
Old 1 June 2010, 08:40
jump fiend

Just did the ab ripper x. This will be fun :)
Old 1 June 2010, 09:16
BEER+B8CHES=PROFIT?

I've thought about this, to jump-start back into the "suck". I figured that anything you do for 90 minutes several times a week will lend itself to results.

Would any of you guys who have done P90X say that you could couple it with a running train-up, say a half marathon schedule?
Old 8 June 2010, 05:46
jump fiend

Arch-E, exactly.

Most workouts are about an hour, the Yoga X is about 90 mins. The workouts were a bit tough, but about 40 mins into the yoga I really wanted to quit. That stupid stuff is completely different to what I'm used to.

One week down, bit sore, but the calf raises killed my freaking legs! Running on my off day was actually a huge help for the calves, and I think a half marathon train up wouldn't be any problem at all.

Our new posting rules