SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Fitness

Old 15 December 2008, 17:07
Been There Done That

I got motivated too

After a 2year layoff after retiring, I'm back in the gym at 0500-0645 5 days a week.

Lost 4 pounds the first week- i know its probably just water weight but i'm staying hydrated.

Worked up to an hour on the ellyptical trainer- they have one kind that allows you to increase the 'slope' on your workouts- that gets me pretty warmed up to start working the weight pile.

Jostha- recommend that you defintely get on an ellyptical trainer or stationary bike to get those joints of yours lubed up with synovial fluid prior to doing anything else. Vary your routine to prevent boredom.

STRETCH!!!!! can't emphasize this enough. Stretch after a warm-up (side straddle hop, pushups, turn and bend at slow cadence), after all you might be feeling froggy but your muscles need that stretch just like you wouldn't throw a prime ribeye on the grill frozen, the muscles in your body need a warm and stretch so they have less chance of injury during the 'intense' phase of your work out.

Drink Water! Drink before you work out, while you are working out, and drink after to help flush lactic acid from your muscles.

You can work the abs every day- they are forgiving but make sure you stretch them frequently if you're going to work them hard each day. Nothing is funnier than seeing a 225lb guy curled and mewling like a 6 year old when his abs cramp him into a human armadillo...

Just a few morsels for thought from a guy that USED to be in excellent shape and now is paying the price for SLOTH..
Old 16 December 2008, 00:38
Been There Done That

my two cents after having two drastic weight fluctuations in the last 10 yrs, last one was 189 lbs on my 5'8" frame (i am normally 147 when in fighting/racing shape and 155 is a good weight for me. I am a firm believer in gaining a few pounds of muscle while losing weight, the extra muscle demands more calories, thus when you eat,, you body uses more calories than it normally would instead of storing as fat

the other thing i did was go extreme low carb, to where my carb intake was about 20 grams a day and do 6 to 8 day stints of this, then taking a break (it really hard to do for longer, at least for me) you will fee run down about the second or third day, (unless you do a killer workout the first day to deplete your carbohydrate stores, then you will start buning fat as your primary fuel source faster. after the intitial run down feeling, you will be more energetic and not prone to getting tired (less sugary starches to spike your sugar levels etc) it helped that my job was diving every day and burning a lot of calories being in the water cleaning boats for 6 hours a day, but i also added pushups and situps along with pullups, chinups and curls. the weight came off and i gained good solid muscle mass, about 4 pounds or so, but it made a difference. some folks don't like the extreme low carb gig, so there is another thing you can do

eat carbs for breakfast (oatmeal is good) have a regular lunch, workout a little in the evening (even if you do your main workout in the morning) just some pushups situps and a jog, then for dinner, cut the carbs, have a steak and broccoli, or chicken and green beans, no starchy vegetables, that will also help, cut the sugar out completely, it is your enemy...then you can reintroduce it once you are at your target weight. I just made myself lose about 30 lbs over 6 weeks doing the extreme low carb diet, AND gained muscle while doing it, so i lost more than 30 lbs of fat. i will NEVER get that heavy again...hope some of this helps
Old 16 December 2008, 00:43
Been There Done That

to add, once you are ready for it, (and this is just what i do) get a spotter and when you lift, warm up really good, then throw enough weitght on to where you can only do 3-4 reps, once you get to 5 reps, more weight, you will get really strong and gain muscle as well, once you get the gains, then try to maintain them while doing cardio.
Old 16 December 2008, 19:15
Confirmed User

Jostha,
Check out http://www.coreperformance.com/

The book: http://www.amazon.com/Core-Performan...9468455&sr=8-1

It has a stepped approach, incorporates good stretching and has good nutrition advice. Don't buy the whole workout "kit." You'll need a physioball (which every gym will have and a long rope for stretching.) I used to crossfit, but due to injury, I can't do all that crazy shit anymore. One thing I don't like about crossfit is they don't emphasize stretching...at least they didn't. This book will bring you along at a safe pace and gets harder as you progress. You will get in great shape and flexible. I can't say enough about it.
Old 16 December 2008, 22:42
Chimpoltle ExtraOrdinary

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGR.Montcalm View Post
After a 2year layoff after retiring, I'm back in the gym at 0500-0645 5 days a week.

Lost 4 pounds the first week- i know its probably just water weight but i'm staying hydrated.

Worked up to an hour on the ellyptical trainer- they have one kind that allows you to increase the 'slope' on your workouts- that gets me pretty warmed up to start working the weight pile.

Jostha- recommend that you defintely get on an ellyptical trainer or stationary bike to get those joints of yours lubed up with synovial fluid prior to doing anything else. Vary your routine to prevent boredom.

STRETCH!!!!! can't emphasize this enough. Stretch after a warm-up (side straddle hop, pushups, turn and bend at slow cadence), after all you might be feeling froggy but your muscles need that stretch just like you wouldn't throw a prime ribeye on the grill frozen, the muscles in your body need a warm and stretch so they have less chance of injury during the 'intense' phase of your work out.

Drink Water! Drink before you work out, while you are working out, and drink after to help flush lactic acid from your muscles.

You can work the abs every day- they are forgiving but make sure you stretch them frequently if you're going to work them hard each day. Nothing is funnier than seeing a 225lb guy curled and mewling like a 6 year old when his abs cramp him into a human armadillo...

Just a few morsels for thought from a guy that USED to be in excellent shape and now is paying the price for SLOTH..
I am doing stretching every day, and still doing my cardio. I start swimming tomorrow, I am going to swimt 4 days week, and use that for some of my cardio.. since it is easier on the ol joints. OS3 hooked me up with "Maximum Fitness" and I have to say.. the stretches are ... quite painful for a fat boy like me.

Thanks for the heads up on that... I am taking head of all of this.. I have to beat the sugar addiction that I have ...... I honestly feel like i am going into with drawls! Next on my list is bacon.... that is going to be even harder to quit....
that and beer, in no particular order......

:-/
Old 17 December 2008, 13:12
Living the dream

Hey Jostha,
I started doing cross-fit in mid-September. I was 265 then and in pitiful shape. I couldn't do a pull-up, couldn't run a mile without stopping to walk, and barely eeked out pushups and situps. I started Crossfit and changed my eating habits dramatically. Went from I'd guess around 4,000 calories a day to around 1700, depending on how hard we worked out.

I dropped to 244 as of November 10th, then went on leave. I was fairly active on vacation, and did some running and stuff on top of diving and other activities. I ate a little more than normal, but not much. Point being? I weighed in today at 235. The diet is the biggest impact on overall weight loss. Put down the sweets. Period. No sugars, few carbs, and spread your calories to more than three meals. You do that, the weight will move.

Todays workout was my first real crossfit since coming back. Been running more to get ready for something but today was a decent re-introduction; 150 single unders, 1K row in 3:50, 5 rounds of 10X wall ball shots and 5 pull-ups, 50 X 135 # floor wipers, and another 150 single unders to finish off. Not tremendous, but a HUGE improvement over what I had been doing.

Thing is... anyone can do it if they're willing to sweat a lot, hurt a little, and eat less.
Old 17 December 2008, 16:31
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB View Post
Long and slow full body, such as Max3 Elliptical (if available).
If you have ever been in truly good shape in your life, your body will remember and respond.
I have been trying to get back in shape but my bodies not listening.
Old 17 December 2008, 16:43
Confirmed User

for what it's worth...

... given the choice between exercises that use a bar, or dumbells, I'd use dumbells. The body isn't perfectly symetrical, so one side will always seek to compensate a little for the other. By using dumbells, you're forcing each side to work just as hard. I'm also a big fan of compound joint exercises, which I think someone's already mentioned. Stuff like squats, clean and press, deadlifts, etc...you also can't beat body-weight exercises for overall fitness : pushups, chin-up/pull-up (palms in/palms out), crunches. I probably don't need to mention this either, but I know a lot of guys don't like to work legs, but it really is kind of crucial. And, as someone else has mentioned, you can't beat a good MMA gym for fitness either; my activity of choice is Muay Thai, and a good session of that will take it out of you. And, again, as someone has already mentioned, circuit training is awesome for functional, "real-life"-type applications. Sorry for all the stuff that's already been mentioned, just my .02 pesos ! Good luck !
Old 9 January 2009, 14:33
Chimpoltle ExtraOrdinary

as of today i am 21 lbs lighter than when i started. I have modified my diet as well, went form close to 4200 calories to 2200 calories, I am watching carb intakes as well, and try to keep my over all carb intake at around 45g. I also do 45 minutes per day on tread mill keeping my h eart rate between 130 and 140 bps, i do total body work outs twice per week and isolate muscle groups three days per week, I am also using the maxiumfitnees book that OS3 sent me, this has been a blessing as it has helped me to keep from being as sore with the stretching. I am also doing 250 g of protein per day.

My big questions is that with my carb restriction i have started experiencing a sweet taste in my mouth, i hear it is Keytones and that it is part of ketosis, but i thought that going down to 45g of carbs would curb the keytones and ketosis. any thoughts on this?
Old 9 January 2009, 14:47
Fitness Mod

Outstanding accomplishment joshta2008!
Old 9 January 2009, 16:50
Authorized Personnel

Outstanding achievement, especially over the holidays.

Good work!
Old 9 January 2009, 23:09
Chimpoltle ExtraOrdinary

I wont lie, i feel like shit warmed over! but to be honest i am hurting in places that i never knew i would be.

But I have a goal, and that is to be ready to re-enlist by years end...

Thanks for the support guys!
Old 10 January 2009, 12:19
Confirmed User

That is great jostha2008. I'm glad the book is helpful.
Old 2 February 2009, 14:40
Chimpoltle ExtraOrdinary

WEll guys, the first of the year has already started out pretty good for me. As of this morning i am 31 lbs lighter than i was when I started. had a scare last Monday as my blood sugar crashed due to lack of eating right.. (900 calories) took a couple of days to recover from that, but i hit it hard Thursday, Friday and Saturday, still have this nagging cold but its all good. Still got a ways to go to get to regulation shape.. but im gonna get there!
Old 2 February 2009, 15:21
Life Aquatic

Congrats on hitting your goals so far, you got through the toughest part of the year.
Old 3 February 2009, 12:13
Confirmed User

No kidding, great job. Are you getting stronger, more endurance at the same time?
Old 3 February 2009, 12:33
Authorized Personnel

YIKES!

Jostha, watch yourself there. You may want to invest in a decent book on the 'Zone'. Even if that's not your diet plan, it should give you plenty of good info to avoid future crashes like that.
Old 4 February 2009, 18:46
Chimpoltle ExtraOrdinary

Quote:
Originally Posted by OS3 View Post
No kidding, great job. Are you getting stronger, more endurance at the same time?
Yeah, lots stronger. I have this damned Cold i cant shake right now, so doc sasid i gotta get rest and lay off of the W/O for a few days, I hate it too, because I want to just go kick myown ass at the gym, but i need to heal up.

Gryf, tahnks for the Zone recommendation, i will go to boarders this weekend and see if I can find it.

I really cant wait to get in reg shape, so I can sign up.

Later!
Old 5 February 2009, 09:13

Just my .02 cents. I've been into crossfitesque fitness for about 3 years now and have stumbled across a few books that, IMO, are no bullshit, straight to the point functional fitness bibles. They are written by Ross Enamait of Vernon Ct. and I cant stress enough how good they are. If you are looking to become a globo gym boodybuilder with a fake tan and bloated muscles, than don't consider buying it. If you are someone who would like to gain strength,conditionong, speed, etc, than this is the stuff for you. Of course everybody has diffrent bodys and goals, but Ross pretty much gives you no excuse for not being fit. If you want to work at home and have little time and $$, I would reccomend his book "Never Gymless". If you want to do dumbell and Oly lifting and can make it to the gym, then grab "Infinite Intensity". I do not know Ross and this is not a plug. Ross's philosphy and workouts art very similar to the crossfit modalities and are all about functional fitness, not just looking "jacked". He's also got some amazing videos of himself on you tube of working out. This guy is superhuman. Again, my .02 cents.
Old 5 February 2009, 10:41
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajko View Post
Just my .02 cents. I've been into crossfitesque fitness for about 3 years now and have stumbled across a few books that, IMO, are no bullshit, straight to the point functional fitness bibles. They are written by Ross Enamait of Vernon Ct. and I cant stress enough how good they are. Ross's philosphy and workouts art very similar to the crossfit modalities and are all about functional fitness, not just looking "jacked". He's also got some amazing videos of himself on you tube of working out. This guy is superhuman. Again, my .02 cents.
I'm now a fan, WOW! I just did some youtube-fu on Ross...

Our new posting rules