SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Fitness

Old 19 February 2009, 15:57
Confirmed User

Sciatic Nerve Pinch

Anyone have any ideas? I have a pinch in my sciatic nerve. I feel like I have a nail stuck in my left butt cheek 24/7. Sometimes it radiates down my left leg.
I got an inversion table. After 3 minutes upside down I feel like new. After about 2 hours, it come back. When I do pull ups, it feels better, then comes back. The Chiropractor doesnt do much good. I spend $20 a pop at the Chiropractors office to be hooked up to the muscle electrocution machine which does NO good at all. Its not as bad as it used to be. Now it comes and goes depending on what I do. So is it getting better? Does it get better?

Its really starting to piss me off.
Old 19 February 2009, 16:25
RIP SOTB, CASS

It takes a long time to get relief. Don't drive/fly w/anything in your back pocket. I feel your pain. Try flexion, stretching, electro and massage.
Old 19 February 2009, 16:38
Been There Done That

Try Reiki. I've found that helps with sciatica when standard chiropractic doesn't Haven't experienced acupuncture, but have heard that it works well for the back also.
Old 19 February 2009, 17:10
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
The Chiropractor doesnt do much good.
Try a new chiropractor. Ask your buddies who they know that's good.

Sadly, some individuals are in the buisness of providing temporary relief. It makes for a better profit margin when you have a repeat customer.

I don't know how good your guy is, or how well you know him...but it's something to consider.
Old 19 February 2009, 17:18
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Pig View Post
Anyone have any ideas? I have a pinch in my sciatic nerve. I feel like I have a nail stuck in my left butt cheek 24/7. Sometimes it radiates down my left leg.
I got an inversion table. After 3 minutes upside down I feel like new. After about 2 hours, it come back. When I do pull ups, it feels better, then comes back. The Chiropractor doesnt do much good. I spend $20 a pop at the Chiropractors office to be hooked up to the muscle electrocution machine which does NO good at all. Its not as bad as it used to be. Now it comes and goes depending on what I do. So is it getting better? Does it get better?

Massage therapy might be a possibility. My therapist told me that if my wife gets sciatica that I can send her in, or just rub her butt until she feels relief.
Old 19 February 2009, 17:29
Minus one, but more symmetrical....

The pain is probably directly related to the amount of photos you post of doing anything remotely cool.

Post some pics of you walking in a boring hallway, signing some redundant and useless forms, or in a meeting on the effects of budget cuts upon fuel -- you'll be cured in no time....
Old 19 February 2009, 17:44
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackjack78 View Post
It takes a long time to get relief. Don't drive/fly w/anything in your back pocket. I feel your pain. Try flexion, stretching, electro and massage.
This one is key. (nothing in the back pockets) Took me a long time to figure that one out. Back in the day, the flight suits were pseudo-fatigues with back pockets and I had a wallet the size of a brick. (no money, though). Thank God, the Army finally pulled it's head out and got Nomex Flightsuits. Sidenote, you should have seen how frikkin reedikuluus we looked with bloused flightsuits!
Took about 6 weeks after I stopped the backpocket stuff, then good as new. Sit on firm surfaces, not soft with your back tilted aft. Firm mattress. Try not to sit or stand in one place for too long. If you're in a Patrol Car, try to get out every hour or so and walk around, not stand. If you're flyin, try to land and get out every hour or so, if at all possible, if only for a quick strech. ( Don't know about your policies for getting out with it running)
Lots of Ranger Candy and stretching. Hope this helps, I know it;s a pain in the ass!
Political Correctness is defined as: A doctrine fostered by a delusional and illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that is it is entirely possible to pick a turd up by "the clean end"
NSDQ SGDM
Old 19 February 2009, 17:53
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOTB View Post
The pain is probably directly related to the amount of photos you post of doing anything remotely cool.

Post some pics of you walking in a boring hallway, signing some redundant and useless forms, or in a meeting on the effects of budget cuts upon fuel -- you'll be cured in no time....
Maybe I could stand when I post the photos?
Old 19 February 2009, 18:23
Been There, Done That

I was on a SWAT operation and went from prone to a running position, hit a pile of dog crap and fell back on my arrse. Of course, I had the body armor with a heavy ballistic plate in the front, which didn't help anything.

It set off an old parachute injury and pinched my sciatic nerve. The next morning I lost the use of my left leg it was numb and useless. The doctor described bed rest and inactivity until I recovered it took a couple of months on disability leave.

What You Need to Know About Sciatica

http://www.spine-health.com/conditio...about-sciatica
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.- T.E. Lawrence, "The Seven Pillars of Wisdom"
Old 19 February 2009, 18:43
Banned 26FEB10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackjack78 View Post
I had sciatic pain develop out of the blue for six months, then it went away as quickly as it started. I was lucky in that I only had the pain when I would stand up from sitting, and the pain would go away after a minute or two. That minute or two felt like eternity, though! Morphine wouldn't have touched the pain I had. Nothing was visible on MRI.

To this day, if I put most of my weight on my left leg for more than five minutes while standing around and talking to someone, I will still have pain flare up for an hour or so.

Your recovery will probably be in months, not weeks, but it most likely will resolve with enough time. Hang in there! (pun intended)
Old 19 February 2009, 19:02
On the Extract Bird

I pinched my sciatic nerve back in November ... by slipping on a damn crayon in my classroom. The doctor put me on light duty and sent me to physical therapy. I find that I'm generally OK now, as long as I keep moderately active. I have no idea why it helps, but I find that gentle stretching daily does help. If I skip a day or two, or if I put weight on my left leg for too long, then my entire lower left member hurts. Sometimes, it's so bad that I can't even bend my leg enough to put on my shoes. As long as I regularly do my stretches though, it's not a problem. For several weeks after the injury though, I had trouble even walking.

Last edited by LEStudent; 19 February 2009 at 19:04.
Old 19 February 2009, 20:54
Confirmed User

Some sciatica is caused by herniated discs. Some herniated discs can be relieved by:
Lie flat on the floor. Bring legs up to chest. Kick both legs out simultaneously as though kicking someone in the abdomen who is standing in front of your drawn up legs.
This restores the lordosis of the spine from a straight spine to a lordotic spine, and this in turn puts suction in the interspaces, and pulls the herniated disc back between the vertebral bodies. This will stop the pain in about 10% of cases (takes several hours, but can work instantly-do it before you have edema) It will usually hurt like hell when you do it.
I used to get sciatica occasionally, but not for the last 2 years since I started sleeping with something between my legs-a pillow. (I'd put up a smiley face if I could figure out how to do it). Anyway, it straightens the spine.
Old 19 February 2009, 21:10
Clan Stiùbhard (Stuart)..

Quote:
I got an inversion table. After 3 minutes upside down I feel like new. After about 2 hours, it come back. When I do pull ups, it feels better, then comes back. The Chiropractor doesn't do much good. I spend $20 a pop at the Chiropractors office to be hooked up to the muscle electrocution machine which does NO good at all. Its not as bad as it used to be. Now it comes and goes depending on what I do. So is it getting better? Does it get better?

Brother - you have problems. I can give you a pretty good idea of whats going on and what to expect. I herniated 2 of my lumbars in 1983 (day before my daughter was born). Then 2 very bad automobile accidents over the years and I'm now at 5 disks herniated, 2 in the neck, 1 Thoracic, 2 Lumbar. Armorer1 also had the same thing except he's had surgery.

Disk do not repair themselves. The only way its going to get better is surgery. You can mitigate the pain you are experiencing by watching what you lift, how you lift and what you do. Think of it this way - your disk is like a round donut with jelly filling all the way around it. When a nerve is pinched wherever it is it squeezes out of the disk and you have pain which can manifest itself in a number of ways. It can feel like a red hot poker shoved down the cheek of your ass into the back of your leg. It can even wrap around to your groin area sometimes. It will all depend on "how" those nerves are pinched.

I've seen so many doctors over 26 years thats its not funny. I have personal friends who are physicians, they have all told me the same thing. Dont get the surgery unless you cant stand the pain. They have made very good advancements in the area of disk repairs to the back.. but understand that once you go there - there's no going back. The odds stack up like this. Three pain management doctors have all said (again) the same thing about back or neck surgery - 1/3 get better, 1/3 the same, 1/3 are worse. So, its basically 66% worse or no better... Not good odds. But you may be a lucky one.

Lower back exercises will help you A LOT. Your chiropractor can help you with them, but the most important one is this:

Lay on a carpeted floor, keep your lower back from arching up as much as possible. Pull one leg up at a time and hold it with your hands. Count to 10 and let it go back down. Next, pull the other leg up and hold it. This will help by strengthening the lower back muscles and it will also "pull back" the stuff in the disk somewhat.

If you can take anti-inflammatory medications, it will help. Aleve, Motrin (or similar).. are good ones. Just watch prolonged use (stomach problems). Naproxen Sodium & Ibuprofen will become your friends. An MD can prescribe you 600 or 800mg Motrins for your bad days. you wont want to take those for a long time on an empty stomach. As time goes on, it will get worse, it will depend on how careful you are as to how it degenerate. And thats basically what it is for adults over 35-40, Degenerative Disk Disease (DDD).

I wish you luck. But when the Chiropractor isn't helping as much, see your MD for help. Just dont let them put you on Narcotics too quickly. Hold off as long as possible before you get into that....But, trust me, in the future there will be times you would kill for a Lortab or Percocet, nights you will hurt so bad it will drive you out of your mind.

Good Luck brother...

Last edited by OldSwabbie; 19 February 2009 at 21:13.
Old 19 February 2009, 21:34
Authorized Personnel

Quote:

I describe mine as a over sized syringe, been there for 20 some years.

I do several 'back' exercises everyday at the gym. Captains chair, forward and back wards sit-ups. My cardio does not include any running and walking is only to cool down.

I had surgery several years ago only because I couldn't move anymore, I suggest that you choose the knife as a last resort.

If you put a return spring on the left rudder peddle you only have to use the good leg .
Old 20 February 2009, 03:44
As Above So Below

Anyone have recommendations for compressed nerves in the feet. More comonly known as Morton's Neuroma. I had a new experience with that this week. My left foot from the big toe along the top of the foot to the ankle went dead. Didn't go numb...it was dead. I was taking straight pins and sticking them in with absolutely no feeling at all.

I massaged out the morton's neuroma and that seemed to help it, but it still took 8 hrs for full sensitivity to return. Acted more like frostbite, but I have no discoloration and our last ice event was weeks ago.

What's causing that? The morton's neurmona and TTS have both been with me for years and this is a new development. I'm waiting for an appt with the poditriast at the VA...guess I'll have to call and put a little torque on the process.
''Rise and rise again until lambs become lions'' from the movie Robinhood with Russell Crow
No good deed goes unpunished..look what they did to Robin Longstride
"I'm not afraid of terrorists, I am; however, afraid of the other employees" -me.
Old 1 March 2009, 00:17
koz1
Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSwabbie View Post
Brother - you have problems. I can give you a pretty good idea of whats going on and what to expect. I herniated 2 of my lumbars in 1983 (day before my daughter was born). Then 2 very bad automobile accidents over the years and I'm now at 5 disks herniated, 2 in the neck, 1 Thoracic, 2 Lumbar. Armorer1 also had the same thing except he's had surgery.

Disk do not repair themselves. The only way its going to get better is surgery. You can mitigate the pain you are experiencing by watching what you lift, how you lift and what you do. Think of it this way - your disk is like a round donut with jelly filling all the way around it. When a nerve is pinched wherever it is it squeezes out of the disk and you have pain which can manifest itself in a number of ways. It can feel like a red hot poker shoved down the cheek of your ass into the back of your leg. It can even wrap around to your groin area sometimes. It will all depend on "how" those nerves are pinched.

I've seen so many doctors over 26 years thats its not funny. I have personal friends who are physicians, they have all told me the same thing. Dont get the surgery unless you cant stand the pain. They have made very good advancements in the area of disk repairs to the back.. but understand that once you go there - there's no going back. The odds stack up like this. Three pain management doctors have all said (again) the same thing about back or neck surgery - 1/3 get better, 1/3 the same, 1/3 are worse. So, its basically 66% worse or no better... Not good odds. But you may be a lucky one.

Lower back exercises will help you A LOT. Your chiropractor can help you with them, but the most important one is this:

Lay on a carpeted floor, keep your lower back from arching up as much as possible. Pull one leg up at a time and hold it with your hands. Count to 10 and let it go back down. Next, pull the other leg up and hold it. This will help by strengthening the lower back muscles and it will also "pull back" the stuff in the disk somewhat.

If you can take anti-inflammatory medications, it will help. Aleve, Motrin (or similar).. are good ones. Just watch prolonged use (stomach problems). Naproxen Sodium & Ibuprofen will become your friends. An MD can prescribe you 600 or 800mg Motrins for your bad days. you wont want to take those for a long time on an empty stomach. As time goes on, it will get worse, it will depend on how careful you are as to how it degenerate. And thats basically what it is for adults over 35-40, Degenerative Disk Disease (DDD).

I wish you luck. But when the Chiropractor isn't helping as much, see your MD for help. Just dont let them put you on Narcotics too quickly. Hold off as long as possible before you get into that....But, trust me, in the future there will be times you would kill for a Lortab or Percocet, nights you will hurt so bad it will drive you out of your mind.

Good Luck brother...
I'll echo what old swabbie says. The chiropractor (and his decompression table) only made it worse for me. I will say go to a neurosurgeon rather than an orthopedic. Also take the time to heal up if you have surgery. Let someone lift everything for you. I didn't (mowed my grass two days after getting cut) and I had to have a more serious surgery a week later. It took me a good 7 months to really feel good after that surgery. There are days I'll be a bit sore but the surgery gave me a new lease on life, contrary to what the chiropractor said....
Old 1 March 2009, 04:20
Confirmed User

Ah, I feel your pain, literally...

I would recommend that you first go see an actual doctor and get an MRI done to try to figure out what's going-on.

Get a nerve conduction study done on your leg, to figure out if there is any damage to the nerves, or it's just pain.

Talk to a back surgeon for a referral to a pain specialist to get a steroid-cocktail injected into the offending lumbar disc spaces, if that's the cause of the nerve compression.

You could also be suffering from spinal stenosis, that is putting pressure on the nerves, possibly coupled with disc issues.

I'm not a fan of the high-velocity techniques that some chiropractors use. You might find a Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine to do some less "invasive" body manipulation. I found Rolfing to be much more beneficial then chiropractics.

The injections relieved my sciatia issues. Since then I've found that not doing stupid things to my back, stretching my legs and back, and using a back brace - aka: my "tactical girdle" - when I'm wearing my entry gear or a plate carrier, helps keep the back pain away. And that keeps the sciatia at bay.
Old 1 March 2009, 04:28

I know I'm not military, or SF, but I had lower back pain for 3 years straight, no matter what I did the pain came back. I had spinal decompression done, and I haven't felt any pain in my back for the last 2 months. It might be something you might want to check out, it cost me roughly $2400 CDN to have fixed,but I would have paid double that if that's what it would have taken to rid myself of the pain.
Old 1 March 2009, 10:58
Administrator

A couple of hard openings - like pulling in a 200 mph track fixed mine for me - but now my neck is screwed up.
Old 1 March 2009, 12:41
Clan Stiùbhard (Stuart)..

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUTF View Post
Ah, I feel your pain, literally...

I would recommend that you first go see an actual doctor and get an MRI done to try to figure out what's going-on.

Get a nerve conduction study done on your leg, to figure out if there is any damage to the nerves, or it's just pain.

Talk to a back surgeon for a referral to a pain specialist to get a steroid-cocktail injected into the offending lumbar disc spaces, if that's the cause of the nerve compression.

You could also be suffering from spinal stenosis, that is putting pressure on the nerves, possibly coupled with disc issues.

I'm not a fan of the high-velocity techniques that some chiropractors use. You might find a Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine to do some less "invasive" body manipulation. I found Rolfing to be much more beneficial then chiropractics.

The injections relieved my sciatia issues. Since then I've found that not doing stupid things to my back, stretching my legs and back, and using a back brace - aka: my "tactical girdle" - when I'm wearing my entry gear or a plate carrier, helps keep the back pain away. And that keeps the sciatia at bay.
Thats good advice about the Stenosis and other stuff too. I've had the nerve conduction tests - two of them. That is one of the most uncomfortable things I've ever had to undergo ...other than a lower GI. You just keep it in your mind its going to end.... But the test tells the story.

There are/could be many reasons for the pain thats for sure. I have Stenosis in my cervical area, a lot of nerve impingements. I've had the ESI's in my lower back and neck...they use to help then they quit helping. I've heard it helps some people for up to a year ...some only a few months. There is no doubt that your spine will do you in. Back then I was a cable lineman and climbed poles all the time...then I started a roofing company. My dad warned me, "Son, you are one of the strongest men I know...That dont matter, if you don't take care of your back, one day you'll be sorry". He knew, his back was screwed up from the Army in Korea.

Over the years since 83 that I've dealt with my lower back pain, I've always managed to handle it. But about 10+ years ago when a stupid woman pulled out in front of me one day I T-Boned her, my neck took a terrible beating and buldged 2 disks. That is what drives me crazy the most. My fingers go numb all the time, there are numb spots on my arms... I drop shit...thats the most embarassing, especially in a grocery store... All I can say is, God Bless my wife. One day we were shopping, I picked up a jar of chip dip stuff, it just dropped right out of my hand. My hand had went numb and it hit the floor (glass jar), I stood there like I was still holding it - puzzled look on my face wondering what had happened. Sheila just said, Come on... Come on, lets go - its ok. She said I looked like I was about in tears. It's been getting worse.

Upper neck and back muscles that once were strong now knot up in spasms. Thats the downside of being a muscularly strong person. Later on in life those muscles work against you. I have to take muscle relaxers 4 times a day to keep that from happening. At least I've gotten use to them to the point where they dont make me sleepy anymore. When the Ocipital nerves pinch in the neck they can cause terrible headaches and migraines... I suffered like hell until my Pain Management Doctor in Sarasota (Dr Chun) helped. Putting ice on the lower base of the skull on the nerves directly helped a lot. He gave me Zomig and Imitrex for the migraines, the Zomig worked along with other heavy stuff.

My poor wife now has a disk bulged in her lower back and 2 are slighly bulging in her neck with the start of Stenosis. She's only 46 and hasn't had any accidents, just degenerative disease. At least I know how to help her. I use back cream, Ice and stuff to help her when hers gets bad. Her neck is a different story. Now hers is progressing into the worsening headaches. Sucks...

Last edited by OldSwabbie; 1 March 2009 at 12:44.

Our new posting rules