SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Fitness

Old 17 April 2009, 16:22
On the Extract Bird

I haven't stepped up for the marathon yet, just half-marathons and ten milers.

For those on the East Coast, the Columbus OH Half (in October) is an easy one (flat and perfect weather). Philly has a 10 miler in May and a Half/Full marathon in Nov, and they may have a couple other ones in the suburbs that I am not tracking.

Erie PA has a beast of a half marathon, it is out at Presque Isle State Park. Super fast, flat, and incredibly humid! I think they are now doing it in the fall vice summer to keep the heat casualties down.
Old 17 April 2009, 17:57
dagger0824
Visitor

I'm doing my first marathon next month... I think my biggest advantage is my age...
Old 18 April 2009, 05:20
Been There Done That

Hey guys, I just finished mine and didn't do nowhere as well as I'd liked. My split was 1 hour, 53 minutes, not too bad, but on the back leg around mile number 18, the calf cramps started and just got worse from there and I ended up with a 4:45 finish. If I'd suggest anything, do some potassium loading along with the carbs and take everything the throw at you!! At one point, around mile 23 I had a cup of Gatorade and a cup of water, a banana, orange and a Cliff Bar. I could really tell when the gut was turning food into energy, it made all the difference in the world. This was a good experience but definitely not one I'd care to repeat. I hope this helps and good luck to all.
Old 18 April 2009, 05:21
Conquer Life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdb23 View Post
Appreciate it, though I don'ty put my gut check in the same league as yours....yours balls clank, mine just kinda "chime."

Good luck big man.....
LMAO...You're just smarter than I am

.....Anyone on here who knows me personally is probably laughing their asses off at that bolded statement above. I almost broke my laptop laughing when I saw it.

"When your ruck gets too heavy, someone on this site will always help you carry it." - Chimo
Old 18 April 2009, 05:26
Conquer Life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumpy View Post
Hey guys, I just finished mine and didn't do nowhere as well as I'd liked. My split was 1 hour, 53 minutes, not too bad, but on the back leg around mile number 18, the calf cramps started and just got worse from there and I ended up with a 4:45 finish. If I'd suggest anything, do some potassium loading along with the carbs and take everything the throw at you!! At one point, around mile 23 I had a cup of Gatorade and a cup of water, a banana, orange and a Cliff Bar. I could really tell when the gut was turning food into energy, it made all the difference in the world. This was a good experience but definitely not one I'd care to repeat. I hope this helps and good luck to all.
That's awesome bro. Congrats!!! Like Pocket Kings said...every marathon has been his last...until his next. LOL.

Sounds like you may have started out too hard. Also, IIRC, your body takes over 6 hours to process any food into useable energy (probably wrong, but I saw it somewhere the other day while doing marathon research).

Here's to a speedy recovery!

"When your ruck gets too heavy, someone on this site will always help you carry it." - Chimo
Old 18 April 2009, 06:25
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balls View Post
That's awesome bro. Congrats!!! Like Pocket Kings said...every marathon has been his last...until his next. LOL.

Here's to a speedy recovery!
I'm sure you're right on the processing of food time, it was a mental thing I'm sure, but then the whole ordeal is a mental thing!! As for the speedy recovery, I'm sure beer would help, but this damn regular Army crap kinda' puts that possibility down.

Thanks a lot for the well wishes and right back atcha'!! You'll do fine!
Old 18 April 2009, 19:44
dagger0824
Visitor

Quote:
EDIT:

Nevermind, Just read your other posts.

Also, when you did those 9-13 mile runs, was it a straight 9 miles? or 13 miles? Or did you do little breaks of no running in it alittle?

Last edited by dagger0824; 18 April 2009 at 19:50.
Old 19 April 2009, 01:14
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagger0824 View Post
EDIT:

Nevermind, Just read your other posts.

Also, when you did those 9-13 mile runs, was it a straight 9 miles? or 13 miles? Or did you do little breaks of no running in it alittle?
It was straight 9-13 miles, no breaks or nothing with the occasional 16 miler thrown in just to get the mind right. I was surprised I made it to mile 16 without stopping, and then it was just to grab something to eat, then on to mile 18 before the uh oh's and awe' shits hit. FWIW, if I had it to do over again, I wouldn't have burned through the first 7 miles quite as fast (me and my LT had an average 7:50/mile for those first few). He's a youngster that's 15 years junior to me but he only finished 25 seconds before I did, so don't rely too much on the youth and enthusiasm; experience and determination still trumps that most of the time. He also pussed out and spent the rest of the day in bed afterwards while I came on to work, something I'm going to remind him of for some time to come.
Old 19 April 2009, 01:45
dagger0824
Visitor

Quote:
It was straight 9-13 miles, no breaks or nothing with the occasional 16 miler thrown in just to get the mind right. I was surprised I made it to mile 16 without stopping, and then it was just to grab something to eat, then on to mile 18 before the uh oh's and awe' shits hit. FWIW, if I had it to do over again, I wouldn't have burned through the first 7 miles quite as fast (me and my LT had an average 7:50/mile for those first few). He's a youngster that's 15 years junior to me but he only finished 25 seconds before I did, so don't rely too much on the youth and enthusiasm; experience and determination still trumps that most of the time. He also pussed out and spent the rest of the day in bed afterwards while I came on to work, something I'm going to remind him of for some time to come.
Heh, when I was referring to my age being an advantage, I meant in terms of healing from soreness or whatnot- I did ten miles today, not a straight ten miles, but between a 4-6 mph pace... I was feeling small amounts of pain in my legs, but now, about 6-7 hours later, I have no pain at all, as my legs are how they'd be if I hadn't run at all! But yes, thank you for that bit of info... I find it useful. Right now, my goal is just to finish... I could care less about my final time...
Old 19 April 2009, 02:00
Been There Done That

Quote:
Heh, when I was referring to my age being an advantage, I meant in terms of healing from soreness or whatnot- I did ten miles today, not a straight ten miles, but between a 4-6 mph pace... I was feeling small amounts of pain in my legs, but now, about 6-7 hours later, I have no pain at all, as my legs are how they'd be if I hadn't run at all! But yes, thank you for that bit of info... I find it useful. Right now, my goal is just to finish... I could care less about my final time...
Sorry about that, I'm a bit defensive about the old man thing, especially when I'm running my bunch of trash talking 'Tards into the ground and they still bring it up, knowing there's only a few that can keep up with me. I hear you on the soreness and heal up time, I'm playing hell right now trying to get things limbered back up, all I can say is thank God for Motrin, Thera-Gesic and vitamin C.
Old 19 April 2009, 14:04
Conquer Life.

Wow...I decided to do 13 yesterday after only eating half a bagel, a bananna, and a protein shake in the last 13 or so hours. I hit THE WALL at about 12. Proper nutrition is huge. I only planned on doing 8 but took 6.6 mile loops instead of 4. Like I said... my competition level with myself will likely kill me.

PROPER NUTRITION!!!!

Old 19 April 2009, 21:03
Conquer Life.

Quote:
I've been wondering about that, how much do protein shakes cost? Or where can I find good ones, ones that you would recommend?

Thanks!
Protein shakes aren't really part of the marathon nutrition plans I've seen. I take them for my regular workouts and to replace the calories I lose each day. I also don't want to lose too much muscle mass while training for this bitch. In addition to my running plan, I'm still trying to do short sustainment workouts at the gym on short run or off-days if I have the time and energy. You gotta keep in mind that there comes a point where your body will actually start to eat muscle rather than build it if you train too long.

To anwer your question, you can check out a number of different websites. Just google a1supplements, body building, whatever. There are different types of protein with different uses, as well as meal replacements. Read some of the other posts here in the fitness section and they'll probably answer your question. Most of it is pretty goal-specific. If you have a specific question that you can't answer, I'm sure somebody around here will be able to help you out.

Good luck bro.

ETA:...No idea how my reply 7 hours later appeared above your post...

Old 19 April 2009, 22:29
dagger0824
Visitor

Quote:
Sorry about that, I'm a bit defensive about the old man thing, especially when I'm running my bunch of trash talking 'Tards into the ground and they still bring it up, knowing there's only a few that can keep up with me. I hear you on the soreness and heal up time, I'm playing hell right now trying to get things limbered back up, all I can say is thank God for Motrin, Thera-Gesic and vitamin C.
Yeah I hear ya 120%. Too many cocky youngsters around my age who think their youth makes them invincible. Now, if I'm in the middle of the marathon, and take Ibuprofen to help, is that bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balls View Post
Wow...I decided to do 13 yesterday after only eating half a bagel, a bananna, and a protein shake in the last 13 or so hours. I hit THE WALL at about 12. Proper nutrition is huge. I only planned on doing 8 but took 6.6 mile loops instead of 4. Like I said... my competition level with myself will likely kill me.

PROPER NUTRITION!!!!
I've been wondering about that, how much do protein shakes cost? Or where can I find good ones, ones that you would recommend?

Thanks!
Old 20 April 2009, 10:11
Conformed User

Protein before a race like this is a big no-no. There's no way for your body to use that fuel in the timeframe it takes to run that length, so you're just bogging yourself down.

You just need to go out and log the miles. There's no real secret. The body has to learn to use its fuel effieciently. First, the simple carbs, then the carbs, then fat (but only if your body is accustomed to it). Protein is for recovery. The best recovery drink I've seen is chocolate milk.

Just hit the road for 2-3 hours at a time. Pace is almost immaterial. You need to get accustomed to the time on your feet.
Old 20 April 2009, 12:02

I ran my first half marathon yesterday.

Up to that point, my longest run (ever) had been about 5 miles. My usually workout was running 2-3 miles, then hitting he weights for some Crossfit. I decided to do the marathon as a gut check.

I decided to run at about an 8:45 pace, just to be safe.....I had no idea what I could do past 5 miles, so I figured that I should pace myself....

At mile 6, I was sailing....I saw some of my friends at the 6 mile point, and I smiled and gave them the big thumbs up. I started thinking "WTF is everyone bitching about? This is cake!"

I continued to sail until mile ten.....10.2 miles to be exact. That's when I hit a wall. It was unreal....I don't know what being fisted feels like, but that had to be comparable.....it was like my body said, "Yes, we've had enough of this running shit.....no more."

I crawled for the next 2 miles.....I ran, but the pace was something like the character in "Run, Fatboy, Run!" I shit you not, a dude who was juggling while running the marathon passed me......

I continued that pace until mile 12, at which time I thought "only one mile....I can do anything for one mile!" I picked my pace back up and finished....even managed to sprint the last 200 meters or so.....

I learned a lot about myself....I now know that I can run 10 miles (when pressed), and that it is a bad, bad, bad idea to run 13.1 without doing any training beforehand.

I'm glad I did it, and I am now hooked. It was a blast, and I plan on doing it again.....but next time, I plan on being ready.

Best of luck Balls.....
Old 20 April 2009, 14:30
Conquer Life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketKings View Post
Protein before a race like this is a big no-no. There's no way for your body to use that fuel in the timeframe it takes to run that length, so you're just bogging yourself down.

You just need to go out and log the miles. There's no real secret. The body has to learn to use its fuel effieciently. First, the simple carbs, then the carbs, then fat (but only if your body is accustomed to it). Protein is for recovery. The best recovery drink I've seen is chocolate milk.

Just hit the road for 2-3 hours at a time. Pace is almost immaterial. You need to get accustomed to the time on your feet.
That is almost exactly the info I was looking for in my initial post. People who have been there and can say "don't eat this, it leads to this" or "train like this".

I've researched quite a bit and am looking at a program of:
- 3-6 miles on Mon, Tues, Wed. and long runs (about 13) on Saturdays. Minimal sustainment lifting/plyo 2 days a week.
- 70% carb diet with lots of whole wheat pasta and bread, peanut butter, yogurt, banannas, green bell peppers, and maybe protein AFTER to rebuild a bit.

Opinions/input on training and nutrition would be greatly appreciated. I'll also be calling a couple of local running/marathon shops later today for nutrition and training advice.

Quote:
I continued to sail until mile ten.....10.2 miles to be exact. That's when I hit a wall. It was unreal....I don't know what being fisted feels like, but that had to be comparable.....it was like my body said, "Yes, we've had enough of this running shit.....no more."
Congrats, Sir. On the marathon and on the above being the funniest thing I've heard all morning.

Old 20 April 2009, 16:57
Conformed User

Quote:
I shit you not, a dude who was juggling while running the marathon passed me.....
\

See. This is what I love. When I did Ironman Wisonsin in 2006 I got passed on the marathon by a guy in a full tuxedo. Shoes and all. Here I am in the latest race gear friggin dying and this dude (who was easily 60) is waving to the crowd like he's a shriner in a parade, stopping to snap pics, and STILL beating me.

Gotta love it. Gut checks with clowns.
Old 20 April 2009, 21:33
Confirmed User

Juggling? Tuxedo?

Well.. Let's add this to the list: when I ran the Ft. Lauderdale A1A Marathon some knuckleheads were handing our beer at mile 10!?

I shit you not.
Old 20 April 2009, 21:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblehead View Post
Juggling? Tuxedo?

Well.. Let's add this to the list: when I ran the Ft. Lauderdale A1A Marathon some knuckleheads were handing our beer at mile 10!?

I shit you not.

Same here......only it was at mile 12. Schlafly Beer (local St. Louis brewery) was handing out beer as we went by.....first tables, water. Next table, Gatorade, last tables, beer....

I passed on the beer.....LOL
Old 21 April 2009, 01:26
dagger0824
Visitor

Hey I have a question.. I did a search and found nothing...

As stated earlier, I did 10 miles on Saturday... Took it easy Sunday, and just did 3 miles this evening... My toes were giving a little pain. When I took my socks off, I found two small blood blisters on my middle toe left foot... They're small, but will get bigger when I run tomorrow. Does anyone know how to fix this? In the past, I just popped them with a new clean toothpick.. They are a pain in the arse... Thanks in advanced for any advice!

Our new posting rules