SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Fitness

Old 21 April 2009, 22:52
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Execprotec View Post
Excuse me, but the right certifications are far from meaningless. Your bad attitude is meaningless. You still have not stated why you think you are such an expert? "30 years of working out" is that it? then the world is filled with know-it alls like you.
When I used the term "hardgainer" , I was referring to someone who is of a true ectomorph body type that has a very difficult time gaining muscle. dont get me started on your spelling..

Talk to one of my moderators like that again and I will certify your ass right out the door.
You can have yours, just give me mine
When the hound dog barkin' in the black of the night
Stick my hand in my pocket, everything's all right

-ZZ Top
Old 21 April 2009, 22:56
Confirmed User

Maybe you could incorporate weighted dips into the routine. I know with pull ups, it worked wonders for me.
Old 21 April 2009, 23:55
I aim to misbehave

OK...well, while I've never thought crossfit was the be-all and end-all, I did get some amazing results from it when I was on active duty...so...I am going to shell out the money and join a crossfit gym...if it worked for me once, it can work again, right?

While true:
Continue
Old 21 April 2009, 23:59
Minus one, but more symmetrical....

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishsquid
so...I am going to shell out the money and join a crossfit gym...if it worked for me once, it can work again, right?
I'm an admitted fan of CF. Still, I can't imagine why people pay MORE money to join a CF-specific gym. I've done CF in gyms and without gyms since starting 2 years ago -- paying more money just to work out in a place where they have some rings hung doesn't seem like it would be worth it -- to ME....
Old 22 April 2009, 01:30
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Execprotec View Post
Excuse me, but the right certifications are far from meaningless. Your bad attitude is meaningless. You still have not stated why you think you are such an expert? "30 years of working out" is that it? then the world is filled with know-it alls like you.
When I used the term "hardgainer" , I was referring to someone who is of a true ectomorph body type that has a very difficult time gaining muscle. dont get me started on your spelling..
Wow, my spelling? Really? That's supposed to be an insult?

I'm using a european keyboard so I don't get the right keys every time.

It happens.

Regarding your other comments. The reality is that you are the know it all and it's based on having a "cert" that means nothing, in the real world, to gaining size or strength.

Even the certifying authority you got the cert from doesn't claim that.

My experience shows me different conclusions than you seem to promote and expect us to blindly accept since you sport a piece of paper. I'm not an expert by any stretch of the imagination but I have experienced much and observed many people over the yrs.

Lifting, both to gain size and strength is not a cert type endeavor. You trying to claim so doesn't change that.

It's the old experiment vs experience slap in your face.

I really don't care what "system" or methodology someone prescribes to in their quest to get bigger, stronger, more fit or a combination of all. I think some systems are downright stupid but at least people are getting up off their fat asses to do something.

Go to any site where the dudes running it turn out strong, fit people or large, strong and fit people and see how many of them are sporting the cert, you seem to think, in your own prissy way, is important.

Go ask Dave Tate or the Diesel Crew or Joe D, of Zach E, Ross E, etc, etc...

Lifting and training gets confusing because of people like you. Information overload and talking about arbitrary numbers are just two of those factors.

One such example is you still haven't supported your claim of the exact ratio of squat to bodywt that is needed to gain arm size. You tried to cover it with the "if you want big arms you got to squat" comment, but that wasn't what you were really saying in your first post. But then again, who am I to question you since you sport a cert? LOL

Doing the work, balancing that with recovery while eating to grow are the most important factors.

I'll put my money where my mouth is any day of the week.

So in closing, go look at your nice little certificate and then shove it up your ass. That's how much good it will do.
Old 22 April 2009, 01:44
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter8654 View Post

As for the bit about the legs. I have currently been recovering from a low back injury from juijitsu. I have been unable to deadlift or squat during my rehab, and have been not done really any leg work other than the Kettlebell swings which have been great for rehabing my back. The reason I bring this up is that I have not done much of anything intense for my lower body during my back rehab. Because this limited much of my training, where my focus is typically GPP, I chose to do some serious upperbody strength work in the interim. I personally am not chasing mass gain, but a steady diet of overhead pressing, bench pressing, weighted pullups, and bent over rows, heavy and with a decent amount of volume has packed twenty pounds of muscle on me in just over a month. Anecdotal, yes. But I've seen a shitload of dudes have similar results.

My .02
Good points.

Exactly as many others have seen as well.

Science can never keep up with the amount of people who get results using every different type of training methodology.

Squatting in some form is important to build a foundation. It is not the be all, end all as some would like people to believe, though.

All I need to do is use the reverse logic applied to the hardgainer and/or genetic lottery theory.

What if someone is predisposed to have large quadriceps? Is he then supposed to embark on a squat routine to gain wt so he can get "bigger arms"? Of crse not. That would be stupid.

Blindly stating, you need to squat whenever someone asks about improving some attribute is very questionable.
Old 22 April 2009, 04:01
Confirmed User

Quote:
As for the bit about the legs. I have currently been recovering from a low back injury from juijitsu. I have been unable to deadlift or squat during my rehab, and have been not done really any leg work other than the Kettlebell swings which have been great for rehabing my back.
What did you injure? If it is a muscle strain you might want to reconsider not deadlifting or squatting. I have strained my lower back muscles more times than I can remember. I used to do the same thing that you are doing if it is a muscle strain and rest my back.

After working in a Physical Therapy clinic for a year and a half I started to change my own therapy. I actually got back into the gym and continued to do the same exercises except I toned down the weight. I also focus on doing some kind of back specific exercise to strengthen it. At first your back will be as sore if not worse the first few days but you should notice a much better recovery from the injury than resting.

Winston Churchill

Put a small child in a playpen with an apple and a bunny. If s/he eats the apple and plays with the bunny, s/he's normal;but if s/he eats the bunny and plays with the apple, I'll buy you a new car. Somewhere along the line we must have been TAUGHT to do the wrong thing.

Maynard James Keenan
Old 22 April 2009, 09:11
I aim to misbehave

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOTB View Post
I'm an admitted fan of CF. Still, I can't imagine why people pay MORE money to join a CF-specific gym. I've done CF in gyms and without gyms since starting 2 years ago -- paying more money just to work out in a place where they have some rings hung doesn't seem like it would be worth it -- to ME....
I am paying for a CF gym because I don't know much about lifting, and this way I have someone there to coach me on technique...all-in-all, a CF gym is a lot cheaper than hirinig a trainer. On top of that, it's nice to work out with equally motivated people, instead of the typical gym crowd.

While true:
Continue
Old 22 April 2009, 10:16
Fitness Mod

UNSAT

Execprotec...completely unacceptable no matter who you're talking to. If you can't handle being challenged then leave this forum.

Fitness Mod
Old 22 April 2009, 10:20
Fitness Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOTB View Post
Agreed! And I'd emphasize your point that CF can be done without membership to a gym. There's a long list of CF routines that can be done without equipment.
Old 22 April 2009, 15:55
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger5280 View Post
Execprotec...completely unacceptable no matter who you're talking to. If you can't handle being challenged then leave this forum.

Fitness Mod
I can completely handle being challenged. My original post was meant to offer an opinion and some general advice. Things were said to me first that were in an insulting tone, did those people get asked to leave the forum? I never said that having a certification was the end all in knowledge in this area.
I did not mean to dis-respect anyone.
Old 22 April 2009, 16:59
Administrator

Dude,
You may want to reread your posts.

You threw your cert up in every single thread and used it as if you thought it was some sort of trump card.

You were challenged on your 1.5 squat x 20 reps claim. You spazzed out as if it was an affront that someone who didn't list some letters after their name dared to question your statement.

No one put words in your month. They are plainly readable to anyone who views this thread.

You obviously know no one else got asked to lv since the forum Mod plainly posted his comments for all to see, so either you're preparing to be the victim or you are being purposely obtuse.

I suspect you are going to just keep digging the hole deeper. Maybe you'll prove me wrong........

Sometimes when one is in a hole the best option is to stop digging.
Old 22 April 2009, 17:25
Killed In Action 10 AUG 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jong View Post
What did you injure? If it is a muscle strain you might want to reconsider not deadlifting or squatting. I have strained my lower back muscles more times than I can remember. I used to do the same thing that you are doing if it is a muscle strain and rest my back.

After working in a Physical Therapy clinic for a year and a half I started to change my own therapy. I actually got back into the gym and continued to do the same exercises except I toned down the weight. I also focus on doing some kind of back specific exercise to strengthen it. At first your back will be as sore if not worse the first few days but you should notice a much better recovery from the injury than resting.

My back was not able to handle the compression produced under moderate to heavy deadlifts/squats. I have a herniated disk as a result of being blown up too many times and engaging in sports that twist my body into interesting positions. Kettlebell swings and reverse hypers foot the bill for training my posterior chain/hip extension without providing the compression forces encountered in squats/deadlifts. I prefer doing the high rep ballistic swings over high rep/low weight squats or deadlifts. I have found a great deal more athletic carryover from them. I have lifted kettlebells for a number of years, but I am growing increasingly impressed with their function as a rehab/prehab tool. My body is thanking me for putting in a significant amount of work with swings and TGU's.
Old 22 April 2009, 20:01
BTDT

There's always masturbation. That's how I got these big guns.

RLTW
EP
Old 23 April 2009, 01:59
Administrator

This point especially resonates with me:
Quote:
I have found a great deal more athletic carryover from them.
I've gone through months where my only lower body work was swings and hill sprints vice any type of squat. I consider it one of the most effective combination's that I've ever used.

Being able to do it all outside is an added bonus.
Old 23 April 2009, 09:28
I aim to misbehave

Quote:
I prefer doing the high rep ballistic swings over high rep/low weight squats or deadlifts. I have found a great deal more athletic carryover from them.
Mind explaining this? I'm not sure what a ballistic swing is. Is that the same as the "kettlebell swing?"

While true:
Continue
Old 23 April 2009, 09:55
Killed In Action 10 AUG 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishsquid View Post
Mind explaining this? I'm not sure what a ballistic swing is. Is that the same as the "kettlebell swing?"
Yeah, no problem dude. It's just a kettlebell swing. It's sometimes referred to as a "ballistic" exercise, or a "quick" lift. The reason I think it has a lot of athletic carryover is that you are conducting an explosive hip extension in much the same way that you do when you're jumping, throwing a punch, or any other move that requires you to explosively extend your hips. It also requires you to quickly transition between relaxation and tension. I've heard Pavel say on a few occasions that one of the things that seperates an elite athlete from an average one is their ability to rapidly transition between an explosive muscle contraction and total relaxation. It makes sense to me...
Old 23 April 2009, 10:07
I aim to misbehave

Definitely makes sense. I've always thought the "explosive," lifts to be far more useful than static "bodybuilding," lifts. That's one of the reasons I loved crossfit back in the day.

While true:
Continue
Old 23 April 2009, 10:19
Confirmed User

Quote:
My back was not able to handle the compression produced under moderate to heavy deadlifts/squats. I have a herniated disk as a result of being blown up too many times and engaging in sports that twist my body into interesting positions. Kettlebell swings and reverse hypers foot the bill for training my posterior chain/hip extension without providing the compression forces encountered in squats/deadlifts. I prefer doing the high rep ballistic swings over high rep/low weight squats or deadlifts. I have found a great deal more athletic carryover from them. I have lifted kettlebells for a number of years, but I am growing increasingly impressed with their function as a rehab/prehab tool. My body is thanking me for putting in a significant amount of work with swings and TGU's.
I will take a simple muscle strain over a herniated disk any day of the week. That sucks and my advice definitely doesn't carry over to that injury. Good luck with that.

Winston Churchill

Put a small child in a playpen with an apple and a bunny. If s/he eats the apple and plays with the bunny, s/he's normal;but if s/he eats the bunny and plays with the apple, I'll buy you a new car. Somewhere along the line we must have been TAUGHT to do the wrong thing.

Maynard James Keenan
Old 23 April 2009, 14:36
0311/8651

partial triceps benchpress,using an oly.bar,press out the last couple of inches,lockout with a heavy weight.worked for me

Our new posting rules