SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Fitness

Old 23 March 2010, 15:06
?

I talked my workout partner into giving the whole burpee-box jump thing a try. Instead of risking almost guaranteed injury from our box tipping over at the ~24" height (putting the box on its side), we kept it laying flat (about 16-18"). I ended up at 4:28 and he did it in 4:26. After a good rest I knocked out another 20 in 1:40. Had a couple HUGE (in a bodybuilding way) AF guys helping cheer us on, every time we would rest they would scream at us to quit taking an AF break and to get Army strong. They were quite impressed with the workout, but we couldn't get any of them to give it a go.

I now have a project for my 21W's, building a 24" box! I'll let you know when I man up enough to go for 100....

"OK, thankfully my wife doesn't read SOCNET -- something to do with it being filled with likeminded, immature people. Fuck her." - SOTB
Old 24 March 2010, 09:41
Confirmed User

Couple other suggestions:
Do lunges with one leg up and your foot resting on a chair, bench, or low table. Coaching Point: Be sure to keep your torso upright and not bent over your knee.

Do one legged squats on a chair, bench, or table.

Both exercises take a great deal of balance, and you can do them without weight. When you are strong enough and have good balance you can use dumbbells or a homemade equivalent. In any squatting movement always think, "Knees behind, knees in line". That is, keep your knees behind your toes and keep your knee joint in line with your leg bones when you perform a squatting movement.

Do "Phantom chair", where you sit in a squat position and hold it for time.

If you have enough storage space, and you really want a great movement to work the hips, legs, back, and upper body all at once use a large old truck tire and flip it end over end. You can do it for distance, time, or repetitions as you like.
Old 11 June 2011, 14:26
On the Extract Bird

One-legged squats are great, but some people think they wreck your knees--especially if you dip too low.

I'm a desk jockey just trying to keep the weight off as I get old (and stay in shape for snowboarding). I get bored lifting weights and hate running.

So for my legs, I do these weird "jumping lunge" things; start in a lunge position (with no weights) and then spring into the same position but with your legs reversed. I started with 50, which totally kicked my ass for a few weeks, and am so far up to, uh, 60.

I also do 100 squats with no weight, with a hip thrust. (Bracing for the incoming ridicule.)

Then the other day I did a 5K on a very hilly course--and it totally ate me for lunch. So evidently these exercises I've been doing are not (as I'd hoped) a substitute for running up and down hills. But these are exercises I can do in the basement, in front of the TV. No having to suit up. I'm less likely to make excuses to avoid doing them.

When I *did* lift weights, the one exercise I thought was most effective (for me anyway) was walking dumbbell lunges.

But needless to say, whatever the BTDT guys do is the way to go.

Last edited by PallidCivilian; 11 June 2011 at 14:29.

Our new posting rules