SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Fitness

Old 7 August 2010, 09:38
Hard to Kill

FOG Fitness Thread

OK, you old SOB's since I retired 2 years ago, I gained about 30 lbs (ergo the name TFG). I am now in the process of trying to shed about 50 lbs. All of my friends and colleagues are losing weight and its my turn.

I want to focus on overall fitness techniques for FOG's to include exercise, especially around injuries and food intake etc. Let's keep this on track.

I am currently 5'10" and 265 lbs BMI is 38.

PT wise, I just ran 2 miles for the first time in over 2 years on Aug 1st. It was painful, but lifted my spirits. For the last year, I have been lifting light weights with high reps and either hitting the elliptical or walking fast uphill on the treadmill. I intend to run for the first time outside on the road today. I have not lost any weight, but have seen some changes in my manly figure. Now its time to get serious.

My chow issues are sweets. I gladly stick to chicken fish and veggies, can live without the taters and bread. Cookies and sweets are my crack addiction.

What have you guys done for exercising? What chow issues do you have? Do you travel a lot? (205 days for me last year.) I actually do better when traveling than when I am at home.
Old 7 August 2010, 12:16
Authorized Personnel

It's not just eating light, it's eating right. At 5'10" you should be below 200 unless you are built like a linebacker.
Moderate exercise at first and then crank it up when you feel OK. No reason to kill yourself at first and full body workouts will benefit you more than running. I am not dismissing running at all but believe that it's a little harsh on the joints as you age and the excessive weight will not help that. The Five Finger/running thread is informative IMHO.
Here are 2 pretty good sites for diet and nutrition. (Didn't want active links on here in case a mod/admin objected)
http://robbwolf dot com/
http://whole9life dot com/
Men's Health has a good "eat this not that" section
http://eatthis.menshealth dot com/home
I cut out the grains and sugar for the most part and am back down to a respectable weight. After a ton of injuries I ballooned and it's tough to loose the fat with a heavy travel schedule.
Old 7 August 2010, 12:32
Banned User

Dont eat anything white. Rice, bread, sugar, etc.

Get a dozen big tubs of Muscle Milk for breakfast and lunch. Dinner is high protein, skip the carbs, when you go to the store, dont buy the bad stuff. That way it wont be there when you need a fix.

Try this for a week or two and check your results, it works.
Old 7 August 2010, 12:49
As Above So Below

I'm still trying to find an exercise routine. Kudo's to you for exercising when you travel. The key for me is not trying to establish the exercise routine I had when I was twenty or even thirty. I'm up and down alot. I tire alot faster than I used to and it seems the old routines just drag me down.

I'm working back up to a regular program. I was using the pool, but I got a monster bronchitis attack that has kept me down for two weeks because overtime at work complicated the situation. That's what I mean about not getting down over a regular routine. Rest when you need rest. No point in aggravating old injuries or creating new ones when you are just fatigued or sick.

On Monday, I will pick it up again and go as far as I can with it.
''Rise and rise again until lambs become lions'' from the movie Robinhood with Russell Crow
No good deed goes unpunished..look what they did to Robin Longstride
"I'm not afraid of terrorists, I am; however, afraid of the other employees" -me.
Old 7 August 2010, 15:07
Swimming Upstream

TFG...good for you...dont' get discouraged when you stumble. Reduce the amount and portion of the sweets you are eating. Doesn't mean you have to give them up completely, but just make the portions smaller.
- Faith involves believing in the veracity of the unprovable and unobservable, whether that consists of religion or theoretical physics, which at the very subatomic level start looking rather similar. -ET1/SS Nuke

- I'm not typing this looking for sympathy, I want you guys to listen to your body and if you see or feel something out of the ordinary going on, get it looked at by a competent Doctor. -OldCrustyBastard
Old 7 August 2010, 15:14
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougage View Post

Get a dozen big tubs of Muscle Milk for breakfast and lunch. Dinner is high protein, skip the carbs, when you go to the store, dont buy the bad stuff. That way it wont be there when you need a fix.

Muscle Milk isn't a very good protein, and it's very expensive. I'm not a FOG but I did let myself get fat, not because I stopped exercising but because I started eating like a large whale. I'm getting outstanding results with the following diet (I'm 5'9 180lb, you'd have to increase the caloric intake by quite a bit as you're larger than I).

06:30AM Breakfast - Oatmeal (I use Almond milk since I am lactose intolerant) mixed with blueberries
09:00AM Break at work - Scrambled Eggs
11:30AM Lunch - Lean protein with Broccoli or other high fiber vegetable
01:30PM Break at work - Protein Shake
04:45PM Pre Workout Meal - Lean Protein and Brown Rice
07:00PM Pos Workout Meal - Protein Shake
09:30PM Pre Bed Meal - 4 Hard Boiled Eggs + 1tbsp Olive Oil (drank from spoon)

I only have carbs for breakfast and on workout days, at that point I have them an hour or two before. If I'm not going to workout I'll repeat my Lunch meal.

Last edited by jrgong; 7 August 2010 at 15:20.
Old 7 August 2010, 15:24
Swimming Upstream

When I started really looking at the grocery store isles...I mean REALLY Looking at them...I realized that most of the food is fake and someone is out to kill us through our diet. I almost feel ...no I do feel revulsion at most of what is sold in the grocery stores. That really helps, btw with not buying junk or most processed crap.
- Faith involves believing in the veracity of the unprovable and unobservable, whether that consists of religion or theoretical physics, which at the very subatomic level start looking rather similar. -ET1/SS Nuke

- I'm not typing this looking for sympathy, I want you guys to listen to your body and if you see or feel something out of the ordinary going on, get it looked at by a competent Doctor. -OldCrustyBastard
Old 7 August 2010, 15:24
Administrator

Muscle milk is just fine. This thread isn't about which protein is better though.

TFG,
I wouldn't look at any "diet". They suck and are hard to maintain. The best bet is to increase your energy output via exercise while slowly decreasing your intake of food.

This alone will allow you to cut some pounds. Once you do that you can build on success.
Old 7 August 2010, 15:33
Minus one, but more symmetrical....

I agree that dieting is GAY, a PITA, and probably doesn't set you up for success.

In other words, eat whatever the fuck you want, but try to eat less of it. I eat 5-6 times a day, not a lot at each sitting, and while I'm not 175lb and a 32in waist anymore, I'm 185 with a 33in waist, and I eat as I like. My workouts are short, hard (this is more because I'm a pussy than the workouts are difficult), and generally not boring.

Plus, the cool thing is I occasionally eat like a fucking pig -- and as long as I keep it "occasional", apparently no harm is done. Two days ago I ate at a local Argentinian place where they served the standard cow per customer -- while I had no desire to eat again for almost a day, I'm back to my normal scarfing food every few hours self.

Plus, I think it helps if you just don't sit on your ass all day, whether you exercise or not. Walk the stairs, skip the elevator. Walk the stairs/path, skip the escalator or moving sidewalk. Walk a couple of blocks instead of driving. Little things like that, I think help a lot....
Old 7 August 2010, 17:27
Been There Done That

SB, I agree with that approach. There are 3 ways to lose weight.

1. Increase energy output (work out)
2. Decrease energy intake (eat less)
3. Combination of the two.

The easiest thing to do is increase energy output, while maintaining your current diet. Most people try to jump on a new diet...and later abandon the diet due to hunger and cravings.
Old 9 August 2010, 22:35
Hard to Kill

Quote:

My wife bitches at my kid for eating junk and I ask her where it comes from? No more junk food. I also tend to eat late at night when I travel. I have to just say NO!
Old 9 August 2010, 22:44
Hard to Kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverbullet View Post
Muscle milk is just fine. This thread isn't about which protein is better though.

TFG,
I wouldn't look at any "diet". They suck and are hard to maintain. The best bet is to increase your energy output via exercise while slowly decreasing your intake of food. (The key to success)
This alone will allow you to cut some pounds. Once you do that you can build on success.
I read the book by Jon Gabriel and he says to eat protien, Omega 3's and live foods every meal (Fresh fruits or vegetables) I ty to do this. The meals are not really my issue, its the junk food at night. My business partner said to brush your teeth at 1800 and do not eat after that.

I use whey protein that has no sugar, aspartame or sucralose and mix with strawberries and bananas for breakfast and it sticks with me most of the day. Gabriel also says eating many small meals keeps up the metabolism. He has a lot of other zen buddism type of philosophies, some of them make sense.

He states diets are bad as well, eat right and the weight will come off. The closer the food is to being "alive" or fresh the better it is. He also states we eat because we consume calories but do not get the nutrients we need so we want more food.
Old 9 August 2010, 23:05
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
My wife bitches at my kid for eating junk and I ask her where it comes from?
Lol, bingo.

Back in the day it was a rare treat, an acknowledgment of some sort perhaps, but now, it really is just cheap over-marketed crap that will kill you slowly.

BTW, my proposal was not meant to be a diet, its forever. I am 46 and just dont burn like I use to, thats what will get ya. Here in the land of plenty, its difficult to not get enough calories without even trying.

Regarding the muscle milk, I bought a bunch of the tubs, not the pre-made stuff. That way I can concoct my own potions as I see fit, pun intended.

Every once in a while I will chomp on a chik-fil-a, or spicy crispy chicken sammich, but for the most part, I just dont want that crack-food anymore. Yea, read the ingredients.

Oh, if you havent tried almond milk yet, do. Get the vanilla, it is all I drink in terms of that type stuff. It rocks in coffee, cereal, etc. I dont drink cow milk anymore. Its that good.
Old 10 August 2010, 08:35
Chuck Norris Approved

I have spent the last three close to four years in the gym. I went from being 6' 170 pounds to 242 pounds because i ate everything in sight and did absolutely no cardio. My gut hung over my belt and I was a sorry excuse for a person (this does not mean you are..simply how I felt). I started eating right and being more serious about the gym. I started eating 6 small meals a day. This helped increase my metabolic rate as well as kept me from gorging when it was time to eat. I started concentrating on increased energy out put in the gym to reach my goals. Lighter weight/higher reps and all that but I also reduced the amount of rest time between sets to keep my heart rate up. I managed to shed about 20+ pounds in about 6 months. Once I got to a point that I was comfortable I changed everything up but kept my meals the same (6 per day). Now about every 8 weeks I change up my work out to keep my body guessing. It will vary from high reps to low reps and heavy weight. I have gotten more into the power lifting real now but still try to keep as lean as I can considering the food and environment. Sine a majority of you have been around for some time and I do not mean that in a negative way, most of us know that what works for one might not work for another. Just have to experiment with it and see what works for you.
Old 10 August 2010, 09:38
BEER+B8CHES=PROFIT?

The best thing I ever did was learn to walk the square/rectangle in the grocery store. Just about everything you need is on the outer walls. I hate shopping, but I chose to start going to make sure I pick up what I NEED, rather than requesting a few things and being left with a pantry full of crap!

I'm noticing some decent energy/satiety from chia seeds too. There are a couple of threads around here, as well as on the net about its nutritional profile and/or benefits.

Exercise + "Rectangle Walk" = Success

A weight loss of around 2lbs a week is VERY doable, sustainable, and will last IMO. I have a huge affinity for ice cream, but like sweets all the same too. I do notice that when I eat better and am working out, I have less of those cravings. The chia has also helped when I know I'm going to eat shitty, I take two teaspoons in water/milk/juice/diet soda and I feel FULL. Then I only have a slice of pizza or a single beer and I'm G2G.
Old 10 August 2010, 16:20
Fan ar an gcosán

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
I also tend to eat late at night when I travel. I have to just say NO!
I echo a lot of what's already been said, but also understand it may be harder to stop snacking late completely, instead snack on the right stuff. Also make sure you're drinking water before, during, and after exercise. Being hydrated can make all the difference in the world when it comes to eating and exercising right.

I've lost 10 pounds in the last five months, going from 5'11", 215lbs to 5'11", 205lbs. I cut or greatly reduced alcohol during the week, and increased my exercise frequency, and when ready the intensity. I think it helps to do some really hard workouts during the week (heavy weights or high rep to fail days), mixed with some maintenance/lighter routines (yoga, low weight, etc.)

For my eating I've tried to stick to the following plan and I try to pack my lunch, whether in the office or in the field, to make sure I have more healthy alternatives on-hand.

Eating:
Morning - Sensible sized, relatively low fat
Morning snack - fruit, protein bar, other
Lunch - Sensible sized, relatively low fat
Afternoon snack - fruit, protein bar, fruit and nut mix
Dinner - Sensible sized, relatively low fat

As others have said, it's crucial that with all this restriction and exercise, you have to reward yourself on the weekends, whether it's ice cream, beers, etc.

Good luck!
Old 2 September 2010, 07:38
Hard to Kill

Quote:

Doug,
This is the challenge. I love the MM and fruit smoothy (Strawberries and bananas cures my gout and are low in carbs) its at night when the cookies call me that kils me. I never thought of the Protein drink during the day, good thought. My business partner lives on the stuff is very carb conscious and is skinny as a bean. Of course he doesn't eat the cheesecake at night either.
Old 2 September 2010, 07:48
Hard to Kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARCH-E View Post
The best thing I ever did was learn to walk the square/rectangle in the grocery store. Just about everything you need is on the outer walls. I hate shopping, but I chose to start going to make sure I pick up what I NEED, rather than requesting a few things and being left with a pantry full of crap!

Exercise + "Rectangle Walk" = Success
I went to the commissary for the first time in years, yesterday. You are right. All the snacks and bad shit my crew eats is in the middle.

Quote:
I have a huge affinity for ice cream, but like sweets all the same too. I do notice that when I eat better and am working out, I have less of those cravings. The chia has also helped when I know I'm going to eat shitty, I take two teaspoons in water/milk/juice/diet soda and I feel FULL. Then I only have a slice of pizza or a single beer and I'm G2G.
I read a book by a cat named Jon Gabriel who said that we eat more and more junk food because our body gets the calories and not the nutrients and so we are still "hungry" due to the lack of nutrients. He also has some philosophy on our brains make us fat as a survival response and some other Zen type thoughts. He makes a lot of sense.

Quote:
I'm noticing some decent energy/satiety from chia seeds too. There are a couple of threads around here, as well as on the net about its nutritional profile and/or benefits.

The chia has also helped when I know I'm going to eat shitty, I take two teaspoons in water/milk/juice/diet soda and I feel FULL. Then I only have a slice of pizza or a single beer and I'm G2G.

I will look into the Chia Tea. Thanks
Old 2 September 2010, 07:58
Hard to Kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymrat8541 View Post
I have spent the last three close to four years in the gym. I went from being 6' 170 pounds to 242 pounds because i ate everything in sight and did absolutely no cardio. My gut hung over my belt and I was a sorry excuse for a person (this does not mean you are..simply how I felt). I started eating right and being more serious about the gym. I started eating 6 small meals a day. This helped increase my metabolic rate as well as kept me from gorging when it was time to eat. I started concentrating on increased energy out put in the gym to reach my goals. Lighter weight/higher reps and all that but I also reduced the amount of rest time between sets to keep my heart rate up. I managed to shed about 20+ pounds in about 6 months. Once I got to a point that I was comfortable I changed everything up but kept my meals the same (6 per day). Now about every 8 weeks I change up my work out to keep my body guessing. It will vary from high reps to low reps and heavy weight. I have gotten more into the power lifting real now but still try to keep as lean as I can considering the food and environment. Sine a majority of you have been around for some time and I do not mean that in a negative way, most of us know that what works for one might not work for another. Just have to experiment with it and see what works for you.
My normal workout is weight lifting high reps, low weight followed by cardio for 15-30 minutes. I vary the intensity depending upon the previous day and have been doing pretty well to stick to it on a daily basis. The hard part is when I am home. For me, my normal schedule is on the road, in a hotel, with time in the AM to get in a work out. I really have no normal being at home schedule, and this is what I am trying to develop. Normally, I work from about 0500 until 1300 when I go outside to get some Sun. This is when I need to schedue my work out. My workouts at home are much more intense as I have some decent Nordic Trac gear to lift and cardio with.

Thanks for the input!
Old 2 September 2010, 08:01
Hard to Kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOTB View Post

Plus, I think it helps if you just don't sit on your ass all day, whether you exercise or not. Walk the stairs, skip the elevator. Walk the stairs/path, skip the escalator or moving sidewalk. Walk a couple of blocks instead of driving. Little things like that, I think help a lot....
When I am at home (Like I am now) I have to force myself out of the office to get some Sunshine. Now I try to go out and do the multitude of chores that need done around here. I have a friend that does the same thing and he does push ups every hour, just 15 - 20, but enough to get his heart rate going.

Our new posting rules