Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Army Special Operations > Special Forces

Old 10 December 2012, 08:35
Been There Done That

Quote:
Did you come in when they were still selling Hustler/spank-mags in the PX and we had strippers during lunch with a two(2) beer max?
No, I came in just as that era came to a screeching halt.

Quote:
Mako, whats going on good buddy it your old classmate (desk partner) from school last year. I haven't been here in a long time but I have been reading your comments and they are hilarious. I would also add that selection is just the beginning, I remember last year when we kept Monster Energy in business on 2hrs of sleep a night!
What's up brother? You back in town? We have to grab some beers or something.

Yeah, these kids think that once they get passed Selection they're good...not knowing that years later, when they think the suffering is over- they may chance upon a complete maniac of a human being go by the name of "Terry" who'll have them vomiting into a trash can by the side of their desk, or throwing things around the instructor's office while screaming: "This is not working for me!!"
22 Aug 17
Old 11 December 2012, 12:56
Rocket Man

Still gone buddy...living the dream but still gone anyhow when I get back I will take you up on that beer! I actually realized that a good friend of mine had "Terry" as a JM instructor I am sure that had to be one fine piece of encouragement a complete maniac is going to throw you out of this plane and then he will teach how to be a sociopath and throw others out of a plane! As I type this I actually fear the maniac is watching.
Old 13 October 2017, 14:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracy View Post
We did not join Army Special Forces because it's different, we joined because we're different. As USSFPA pointed out, if you make it through selection, assessment and training you'll find yourself among like-minded Soldiers.
I don't think I ever stopped being different. But I came into SF not because I had the feeling (not really knowing any bonafide SF "Green Berets" back in '65) that I'd be among like-minded Soldiers, but a feeling that they'd be more likely to accept an odd-ball independent minded guy.

I was right. And boy, where there some strange ones back then :-) Murley J. Maynard (my first team sergeant in the 8th). The SGM of Co A 8th, who walked in one Saturday, nasty, dirty, unshaven, having ridden his Honda (175?) all the way from Fort Bragg to the Canal Zone! (Can't remember his name right off hand, 1966 or 1967.) Wolcoff the Mad Russian (CCC, '69). The Navajo recon guy at CCC who'd get drunk, decide everyone hated him, get thrown out of the club, come back with a .45 and shoot hell out of the roof, sit down in front of the fireplace and cry, and get thrown out again :-)

Yep, odd ones indeed.
Old 3 December 2017, 20:58

I don't remember writing this post...dang...need to add spinal fusion and separated shoulder..
Old 10 December 2017, 02:22
Been There Done That

Well I normally do not add to these type of threads. But I think now I've had a chance to reflect I'll say 3 things.

Frist, to echo MO6, you must want this more than anything. Because you must be prepared to give everything, as too many have. I had to do selection twice, nearly 18 months of MOS, and all kinds of delays due to the fact I ruptured my Achilles on the 25miler and had a massive L3-L5 subluxation during a Q course jump. By the time I was qualified it took me damn near 4 years and I was already broken. I couldn't give two shits if it killed me and neither should you, because it might. The regiment was here before us and will be here after us, it needs none of us. If you think it does need you, fuck off and go NSW.

Second, once you do get to the Q remember you are a STUDENT. S-Shut the fuck up T-Take it, it will suck and it will not be fair U-Understand you
do not matter D-Don't ever talk back E-Everything you got every time N-Never quit T-talk very little (In case you didn't get it shut your mouth)

Third, I am nobody special within this regiment. I had to give 100% of myself just to be average. I am not a hero, because I've met them. The quality of person within this regiment will strip away any right you have to be arrogant. But understand this, if you are thinking about this, you must. You will learn to master yourself and your environment in ways that you are completely unaware of now. You should look at this a journey of which SFAS/SFQC is just getting in the door.

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference"
Old 14 December 2017, 09:46
Moving Target

I have a question. I would like to know what the average age is for soldiers going to SF Selection and passing.

Last edited by foxcolt13; 14 December 2017 at 09:51.
Old 14 December 2017, 10:07
Confirmed User

XXX
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
She sent me off with a note excusing me from anything "unsafe"

Reminds me of my ex-MIL (RIP) when she wrote a letter to the President asking that her son-in-law (me) be excused from the Gulf War since the family liked me. Oh well.

Fucker

Colonel Charles Hyatt circa 1880
Old 14 December 2017, 10:31
In Vino Veritas

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxcolt13 View Post
I have a question. I would like to know what the average age is for soldiers going to SF Selection and passing.
Godzilla would probably know that info. But I know pre-GWOT the avg age in SF was 34-36.
Old 14 December 2017, 10:58
Moving Target

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Mess View Post
Godzilla would probably know that info. But I know pre-GWOT the avg age in SF was 34-36.
thanks bro
Old 14 December 2017, 11:39
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
Did you come in when they were still selling Hustler/spank-mags in the PX and we had strippers during lunch with a two(2) beer max?

...two chili dogs, and an order of fries for lunch at the Yntema club was a great thing
The left is a treasonous movement. The Democrats became a treasonous organization when they fell under the sway of a movement that rejects our system of government, its laws, and its elections. Now their treason is coming to a head.
- Daniel Greenfield
Old 14 December 2017, 12:05
Been There Done That

I was 23 when I was selected. While SWC certainly keeps very detailed analysis on stats, I don't have them in front of me. When I was a Robin Sage cadre, most students graduating the SFQC were mid-20s to mid-30s.

As has been written many times before, the single most important factor in who gets selected is the one factor that SF is always trying to figure out how to identify in target recruitment populations, and will always be the one factor they cannot identify until Selection is over.
Old 14 December 2017, 14:59
Swimming Upstream

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
Mine has no idea, she just thinks I'm different from most folks.

Stay safe.
That’s an understatement
- Faith involves believing in the veracity of the unprovable and unobservable, whether that consists of religion or theoretical physics, which at the very subatomic level start looking rather similar. -ET1/SS Nuke
Old 14 December 2017, 17:45
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Mess View Post
I think that's high. I was in one of the last selection classes before the post-GWOT stuff kicked in, and from what I saw on paper the median age seemed about 28, which is how old I was.
22 Aug 17
Old 14 December 2017, 20:11
Been There Done That

I would say the aversge age of a ODA in NG SF would be as Hot Mess stated, at least was on the two ODAs I was on. When was on active duty SF it was a bit younger like in the late 20s. I went through at age 23 when was AD. Though when was in 19th, had about half the team did selection/Q course in their early to mid 30s. And then you always had that one 21 year old Rep 63 that throws the averages off.

Was not Hot Mess like only 19 years old when he went to the Q course , just a few years ago?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 14 December 2017, 20:12
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Box View Post
...two chili dogs, and an order of fries for lunch at the Yntema club was a great thing
Gavin will be serving that up for you shortly when he retires and starts his new job as a gut truck driver.

"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
Old 14 December 2017, 20:17
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
Gavin will be serving that up for you shortly when he retires and starts his new job as a gut truck driver.
That'll be two soy dogs and a small order of vegan fries for Box. I'll keep those in stock for him, that's his sort of thing. At my gut truck it's his sort of thing, anyway. I'll be the Soup Nazi of gut truck drivers.
Old 14 December 2017, 20:19
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
Was not Hot Mess like only 19 years old when he went to the Q course , just a few years ago?
Nah, that's Prester John...easy to confuse the two of them, though. Sort of like the Olsen Twins...if one of the Olsen Twins had a Freddy Mercury 'stache.
Old 14 December 2017, 22:45
Been There Done That

To put things in perspective- my first trip to Afghanistan, at 30 years old I was the youngest guy on my ODA by 10 years. Literally the entire rest of the team was 40+

7 years later, I came back, and was the 2nd oldest guy on the team...by 10 years. Yeah, it was all kinds of fun trying to keep up with their Crossfit bullshit at 10,000 feet. Needless to say there wasn't alot of working out on the first rip.
22 Aug 17
Old 14 December 2017, 22:56
BTDT

Now that you mention it, I prefer a bulgur vegan chili as the topping for those two soy dogs...
...the buns need to be gluten free - or I wont be able to enjoy the meal
The left is a treasonous movement. The Democrats became a treasonous organization when they fell under the sway of a movement that rejects our system of government, its laws, and its elections. Now their treason is coming to a head.
- Daniel Greenfield
Old 14 December 2017, 23:00
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Box View Post
Now that you mention it, I prefer a bulgur vegan chili as the topping for those two soy dogs...
...the buns need to be gluten free - or I wont be able to enjoy the meal
I change my mind early and often. Nothing but MRE crackers for you. And little bottles of Tabasco to wash them down.

I can tell that my aggressive new brand of mobile food will be a huge success, and I will be needing other drivers. Someone tell KidA I'm hiring.

Our new posting rules