Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Army Special Operations > 75th Ranger Regiment

Old 6 December 2017, 19:55
Been There Done That

Am looking forward to reading this book. I served with many of you heroes , though not one myself. I remember sitting in the Lariat Saloon in Grand Lake, Colorado after a long day of pouring mud. I was seriously jonesin to be on the birds that day with you studs. It was so long ago for this banged up body, but I am sure very vivid yet for many of you.
Old 7 December 2017, 06:49
Whatever Sucks the Most

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
Good motivation for myself and many others on this site, to start writing. Preserving our history and experiences. Relatives and friends have been after me to write for years before I forget everything.

That is why the Grenada book was so important, as this history and the stories need to be preserved. When many of us look at how much we have typed on this and other forums over the years , sharing between friends , it is not a far stretch to start instead making a memoir.

Thanks.
You can do a search for all of your posts and then copy them to a text file for sorting and categorizing and massaging into essays or chapters in a book.

ETA: if you look at it that way, the writing is already done, you already did it. Now it is an editing job.
Old 7 December 2017, 06:54
Whatever Sucks the Most

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Helmet View Post
^ This.

I paid $65 for it because I know the author.

Glad it is selling well.
Thank you. I do not know if it is selling well, but it is selling, a couple here and there every day. It adds up over a month, and for me, anything is good money. Maybe I can take my wife out to dinner.

I hope that you actually read it! LOL!
Old 7 December 2017, 08:45
Authorized Personnel

Finished the other day and just posted a review. PM inbound Magic Man.
Old 7 December 2017, 11:05
Whatever Sucks the Most

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSSRonin View Post
Finished the other day and just posted a review. PM inbound Magic Man.
Thank you for that review! Those really help!
Old 7 December 2017, 11:07
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by magician View Post
Thank you. I do not know if it is selling well, but it is selling, a couple here and there every day. It adds up over a month, and for me, anything is good money. Maybe I can take my wife out to dinner.

I hope that you actually read it! LOL!
Erawan Tea Room.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 7 December 2017, 12:42
Whatever Sucks the Most

Quote:
Erawan Tea Room.
Never heard of it. LOL!

We just enjoyed a fine repast of Italian cuisine from Pala Romana. I love that place.

Raviolis in garlic and butter.
Chicken Cacciatore.
Side order of spinach in garlic butter.
Two orders of dessert creme puffs (I ordered an extra one while my wife was in the ladies and consumed it before she returned so she had no idea).
One bottle of some Italian wine.
One Cafe Americano.

฿2000. Or $65. Without the wine, the bill would have been $32.50.

Even I can afford to do that once a month.
Old 7 December 2017, 12:49
Genetically Deplorable

Quote:
Never heard of it. LOL!

We just enjoyed a fine repast of Italian cuisine from Pala Romana. I love that place.

Raviolis in garlic and butter.
Chicken Cacciatore.
Side order of spinach in garlic butter.
Two orders of dessert creme puffs (I ordered an extra one while my wife was in the ladies and consumed it before she returned so she had no idea).
One bottle of some Italian wine.
One Cafe Americano.

฿2000. Or $65. Without the wine, the bill would have been $32.50.

Even I can afford to do that once a month.
Hopefully that price that price is a typo! Is this one of those places that give you the entire bottle and then how much you drank is on the honor system?

Italian is my absolute favorite, but just a quick nutrition count puts that meal in the area of 3 days worth of carbs, cals, and fat. All the good stuff!!!
Old 7 December 2017, 14:56
Red Headed Stepchild

Quote:
Good motivation for myself and many others on this site, to start writing. Preserving our history and experiences. Relatives and friends have been after me to write for years before I forget everything.
Bullshit aside...please do that.

The rest of you, too.

You have done some cool shit. Write it down before you kick it.
Old 7 December 2017, 16:13
Whatever Sucks the Most

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzmedic View Post
Hopefully that price that price is a typo! Is this one of those places that give you the entire bottle and then how much you drank is on the honor system?

Italian is my absolute favorite, but just a quick nutrition count puts that meal in the area of 3 days worth of carbs, cals, and fat. All the good stuff!!!
Ah. I see what happened. The ฿ symbol is now used both for Bitcoin and for Thai baht. Thai baht or ฿ is now trading at 32.5/$1USD. Bitcoin, also ฿, is now trading around 1/$15,500. Big difference.
Old 7 December 2017, 16:38
Administrator

I started writing a few years ago sitting on an airplane bound for some shithole. Then I sat in a hotel room....waiting.....for almost a week. I think I had about 40 pages written. Since then I just haven't had that kind of down time to write more. It was far from finished. I wrote it specifically for my Dad as an unclassified version of my professional life. Sadly, he died unexpectedly just over a year ago and never saw it.
For my unconquerable soul.
In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.
Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade
And yet the menace of the years
Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate
I am the captain of my soul.
-Invictus
Old 7 December 2017, 20:42
Only slightly useless.

There's easily a dozen regular members here whose life stories would make best sellers! If we could just talk y'all into putting it down on paper!☺

" My Son is my new Hero"
Old 7 December 2017, 23:10
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeless Civilian View Post
There's easily a dozen regular members here whose life stories would make best sellers! If we could just talk y'all into putting it down on paper!☺
Two words: Guy Jones

SGT A/1/75 86-89
Ranger Class 13-87

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children will have peace." - Thomas Paine
Old 8 December 2017, 02:30
Whatever Sucks the Most

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Helmet View Post
Two words: Guy Jones
I doubt that Guyís life could be contained by a book. A Book of Guy Jones would be at best a facsimile, as the reality of the man is larger than life.

For those who are too busy to write, the easy solution is just to write to a journal every day. Entries can literally be one sentence long, or even just a string of acronyms and abbreviations, as the purpose is to serve as a running memorandum for the record, a jog for the memory, so that you do not forget what happened.

We should all keep an ops journal, anyway, as you never know when you may need that information, nor for what purpose.

We obviously need to keep such materials secret and private. Technology helps us here, so no one needs to experience the trauma of a sibling or a spouse finding their diary and then reading it. Unless you are lazy and take no privacy precautions.

You can cheat a bit if you keep a day journal and a night journal. You can likewise keep a public and a private journal, or a professional and a personal journal.

Even using shorthand or personal abbreviations and codes can help capture much detail which can later be expanded when you have time and leisure to write the full version.

If you make it a habit to just note what happened every day, and are meticulous about names, dates, times and places, after a year has passed you will have a surprising amount of material which can then be edited into either a story or integrated into long form as sections of a book.

Your organization is already done, as your material is sorted chronologically.

Facebook facilitates this, as you can create posts which are readable only by you, as well as posts shared with a limited audience, or posts which are public. You can search Facebook to gather all your posts by month or by year.

You can likewise search SOCNET for all of your posts, and then collect them into one manuscript which can then be edited into shape.

I myself keep a running diary using the Notes app on my Mac, iPad and iPhone. The app timestamps all entries, the encrypted content resides on Appleís iCloud. I used to use Evernote for this, and I now have a gigantic Writerís Notebook in that app that also lives on the cloud.

I can access these resources from anywhere, using any device. You just have to remember your passwords.

Many reading this already wrote their books. They just do not realize it, and they have not yet done the searches to gather their content.

After posting this, I realized that I repealed the pretexts that most of us rely upon to not write our books.

Sorry about that!
Old 8 December 2017, 04:39
Whatever Sucks the Most

My bro George Hand, whom many here remember from 1SFGA and CAG, wrote a kind review for the site that he works for, S O F R E P. Apologies for the spacing. This siteís software blocks mentions of that site, and probably for good reason.

I wish that George would not write for them, but I understand why he does. I do not know anyone who has a worse reputation in special ops than their site owner, Jack Murphy.

But George wrote a kind review, except that he warns readers that they will need a dictionary while they read it!

Fortunately, most of us have iDevices close at hand, and dictionaries are mere clicks away. This is one reason why I prefer to read books in digital formats, and I usually import everything that I read into iBooks.

I am surprised that most readers of this book prefer the physical version, but I suppose that old habits die hard. I long ago imported the entirety of my personal library into directories on a personal cloud, and it now consists of 80GB of awesomeness.

I can search that library and pull a book or a remembered phrase down with simple clicks. In seconds. I love my iPad. If Amazon ever pays me some royalties I am buying a new giant model. I work in bed, in air conditioned comfort, with a beautiful wife and a silly cat at my side.

But thank you to George! I hope that the readers of S O F R E P will not skip this book because they may need a dictionary!

The link below is to a post on my personal blog on FB.com/magickingdomdispatch.

My big boy website is at www.magickingdomdispatch.com.

https://www.facebook.com/MagicKingdo...62833660465578
Old 8 December 2017, 13:26
Been There Done That

Quote:

I am surprised that most readers of this book prefer the physical version, but I suppose that old habits die hard.
I'll say. I tried to tell the RI that I had my Ranger Handbook on my iPhone and he shoved it up my 4th point of contact
Old 8 December 2017, 15:14
Been There Done That

Not to thread Hijack but..

I've tried for quite some time now to put together a book about "back when it was hard" and when all we did was train for war.

I'm on the record as knowing where my generation of Rangers stood as compared to the modern day warriors. In fact many of my generation don't actually like my stance. But the "further, faster and fight harder" bar gets raised with each generation.

The problem is your brain process so much faster than you can type, so your at the OBJ mentally, while your typing about the 18 hour sequence.

No idea if I will ever finish mine but the elephant must be eaten in small bites.

While I have not done it, an author I know said create a white board or use butcher block paper. Know your beginning and where you want to end and start filling it bits and pieces that you remember. Then write about those.

He also said, don't be surprised if your original beginning and end look nothing like what you originally wrote.

Write or blog, lads. We are history.

RLTW!

Last edited by RangerJurena; 8 December 2017 at 15:25.
Old Today, 04:15
Confirmed User

I just received my copy via Amaz. I was just a kid when this kicked off and have a keen interest in invasion in general and the 75thís role in particular. My buddy Gordo was there. The book is in the on deck circle after Iím finished what Iím reading now. Look forward to reading it.
Old Today, 06:23
Whatever Sucks the Most

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-O View Post
I just received my copy via Amaz. I was just a kid when this kicked off and have a keen interest in invasion in general and the 75thís role in particular. My buddy Gordo was there. The book is in the on deck circle after Iím finished what Iím reading now. Look forward to reading it.
I hope that you like it.

Our new posting rules