Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 14 September 2017, 22:33
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1RiserSlip View Post
You got that right Brother. I was in N Ga. during Ivan. No power for 4 days. When Georgia power thru the switch on something wasn't connected right. A neutral ground wire or something. The fucking fuse box almost was glowing. Everything that wasn't plugged into a surge protector got fried.
They heated up the neutral wire...major no go.
Old 15 September 2017, 09:11
Sub Rosa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mingo Kane View Post
Getting the juice flowing after a hurricane is an enormous logistical nightmare...quite often more people die after the hurricane than die in it--from tree trimmers, lineman, substation electricians, etc. You have a wide array of training, some good and some rather shabby. Not to mention the long, long hours you work, being away from home, and just being tired of the job, the food, and staying in tents and trucks (unless you're lucky enough to be in a hotel with lights). Shit happens...be safe out there folks. Be patient, before a lineman closes that switch, he has to be 100% sure...because once it's closed, you can't open that mutherfucker fast enough when the fire balls start flying--BTDT.
Yesterday, a seven year old in Lakeland died as a result of carbon monoxide poisoning because her mother ran a generator inside the home. Very sad. The mom is hospitalized and in serious condition.
Old 16 September 2017, 08:50
Authorized Personnel

My Wife has now checked out our house down South.
We're in a flood zone. Lots of storm surge in the area, but none for us inside the house.

Grocery stores are still empty after clearing their messes with no deliveries yet.

Many Churches from our State are set-up in the area to help feed residents, give ice away and offer support.

I saw on Fb a childhood-friends house had sustained storm surge damage. That house has been there since I was about 7 y/o. And this is the first storm surge damage it has received.

We were lucky.
Old 16 September 2017, 13:12
Very Deplorable

Quote:
Originally Posted by litepath View Post
My Wife has now checked out our house down South.
We're in a flood zone. Lots of storm surge in the area, but none for us inside the house.

Grocery stores are still empty after clearing their messes with no deliveries yet.

Many Churches from our State are set-up in the area to help feed residents, give ice away and offer support.

I saw on Fb a childhood-friends house had sustained storm surge damage. That house has been there since I was about 7 y/o. And this is the first storm surge damage it has received.

We were lucky.
Glad to hear you and yours made out okay. Speedy recovery to those that did not fair as well.
Old 16 September 2017, 17:10
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by justamedic View Post
Glad to hear you and yours made out okay. Speedy recovery to those that did not fair as well.
Thanks!

And no kiddin. I've been catching up on the news/follow thru from Irma & Harvey too.

We were very lucky.
Old 16 September 2017, 18:31
Confirmed User

Just got power back about an hour ago after being without since Sunday an 10 PM. Something is jacked with our AC, though.
Old 16 September 2017, 22:26
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kip View Post
Just got power back about an hour ago after being without since Sunday an 10 PM. Something is jacked with our AC, though.
Glad to hear your powers back on!

On the A/C front; Same with mine.
An hour after the power came back I noticed the house was simply getting hotter. Condenser fan stuck.
I threw several run capacitors at it that I had on hand, but no joy.
Could spin it and it'd run about half speed, then just freeze up again and stop. . . .later that night, I went out in the dark, gave it a spin after turning on the unit again, and after sounding like it was going to come apart and spray me with metal shards, it all of a sudden kicked back into normal mode. It's started ever since. I'll replace it come Monday. Have no idea what pissed it off.
Could have been wind or power surge.
Old 16 September 2017, 23:00
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kip View Post
Glad you got the juice flowing. I hate to hear about the A/C unit. I keep a window unit stored away for times like that. I hope you get it fixed soon. It is still pretty hot up here in the pan handle, so I can imagine it is as hot, if not hotter in your location.
Old 17 September 2017, 17:22
Confirmed User

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by just11b View Post
Glad you got the juice flowing. I hate to hear about the A/C unit. I keep a window unit stored away for times like that. I hope you get it fixed soon. It is still pretty hot up here in the pan handle, so I can imagine it is as hot, if not hotter in your location.
AC is fixed.

It would run, but it was running hot air. Thought it might be the thermostat, so we opened it up and put new batteries in it(after cleaning out the corrosion from the old ones); still no luck.

Bought a new thermostat and my dad wired it up; negative.

Called our AC company and someone came out today. Said my dad wired it wrong and if he had turned the air on something probably would have blown.

My dad is super handy, but sometimes you just need to call a professional. Super impressed someone came out on a Sunday.
Old 20 September 2017, 15:14
Authorized Personnel

Spent sometime on I-75 this morning and saw many convoys of power trucks headed south. The keys are a mess.

Our new posting rules