Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 21 September 2017, 04:27
Confirmed User

This is something along the lines of E-Bombs, I guess?
I remember reading about EMP weapons and microwave weapons in the 90s, developed as black projects. I do believe that if something is talked about in the press I guess it's been out there already for some time. The best toys are probably always hidden and may or may not see the light of day.
Old 21 September 2017, 16:49
If you don't smell ozone, the radiation won't kill you before next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul85 View Post
The best toys are probably always hidden and may or may not see the light of day.
Yes and no. The classic examples of what you refer to would be the B-2 and F-117 aircraft. However, some of the more famous toys of the mid to late 1980s "star wars" programs were non-functional bluffs designed for media coverage to create the false belief that our anti-ICBM capabilities were much better than they actually were at the time. Whether those bluffs developed into functional systems over time is an open question. Some did and have been in the press recently, others may have, but the uncertainty is intentional to keep the bad guys guessing. The programs most likely to see occasional, fleeting, teasing glimpses are those we want people to wonder about, whether they actually exist and work or not. Public tests of devices can be made to appear to succeed or fail, with the published results unrelated to actual system performance. Remember all those publicly discussed "tests" of MRBM interceptors since the recent Korea trouble started up?

In some cases, the best way to hide something is to leave it out in the open and treat it as something so mundane that it is unworthy of much discussion. Classifying information as secret, top secret, etc. requires leaving a paper trail that the information existed. Sometimes instead of classifying things they just aren't publicly discussed, because that keeps knowledge of it confined to a smaller batch of people when the bureaucrats who classify material and catalogue it are kept out of the loop. For obvious reasons, I won't provide examples, but I will say that the practice is not uncommon.

"I agree that his intentions are suspect, and that he likely needs to die...." - SOTB

"Just a lone patriot acting alone at a fulcrum point, ideally in a deniable fashion. A perpetrator of accidents." - Magician
Old 21 September 2017, 17:50
Been There Done That

Be cool to hack missile guidance systems and turn them around to hit NK palaces.
Can you imagine if they couldn't figure it out and kept launching...all those dudes with notebooks running around. Be hilarious.
Old 21 September 2017, 18:31
Confirmed User

Quote:
In some cases, the best way to hide something is to leave it out in the open and treat it as something so mundane that it is unworthy of much discussion.
I knew that my suspicions about the Abrams tanks stationed in Poland being capable of transforming into giant killer robots had basis in reality.... I won't tell though. Compartmentalization. Need to know. I know nothing!!!!

Seriously though, this weapon system looks like the next big thing. Since we are more and more dependent on digital information and electrical power future invasions might not need much more than proper application of microwave weaponry aimed at key areas of infrastructure. Or people - even though being dehydrated alive by a microwave stream is something that I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy even if these microwaves would be set to cause pain and discomfort only.
Old 21 September 2017, 18:35
On the Extract Bird

Anybody wanna place bets on when the first LE agency requests one for "muh high risk warrants".
Old 21 September 2017, 19:52
Been There Done That

CHAMP has been in the public eye for five years.

Raytheon has a ground based version as well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Counte...issile_Project
Old 21 September 2017, 20:49
Supporterator

A certain gentleman who has an A12 on display in Alabama described to me a peculiar countermeasure that used EMP.

He stated it was detailed in the A-12's flight manual.

I have never been able to corroborate this information, but according to him it was unclass as of some time ago.
Old 22 September 2017, 19:25
Midgetologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDog0311 View Post
Anybody wanna place bets on when the first LE agency requests one for "muh high risk warrants".
Yeah, no shit lol.
I could have fun with a hand held one in coffee shops.
Old 22 September 2017, 20:14
Sound off for equipment check!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET1/ss nuke View Post
Your first paragraph I can confirm. The massive investment in telescopes and radiotelescopes in the 1950s and 60s had nothing to do with searching for intelligent life in the great beyond. It had everything to do with making star maps for ICBM guidance.
Much like the "International Geophysical Year" of 1957-58, while overtly was "......to observe geophysical phenomena and to secure data from all parts of the world; to conduct this effort on a coordinated basis by fields, and in space and time, so that results could be collated in a meaningful manner," covertly involved a helluva lot of oceanography and research for military use, especially by the Glomar vessels.
The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests. ~Patrick Henry

"Sēlre bi ghwm t hē his frēond wrece, onne hē fela murne." ~Bēowulf, bearn Ecgēowes
Old 23 September 2017, 07:14
Social Claymore

Quote:
Already have one.... Mounted a bayonet to it and painted Multicam Arid....

" a world class ass-clown who is running this jack-assery version of laser tag" USMC_ANGLICO
Old 23 September 2017, 08:33
Been There Done That

Quote:
Diehl and Rheinmetall Defense has one for LE use already. It's designed to disable automobile electrical systems. Advertised range is 65 meters.

http://defense-update.com/products/h/hpem.htm

Our new posting rules